passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DANGERMAN

First things first, I'm really enjoying this. It's very Japanese, the story has just gone full anime, and it reminds me a lot of Astral Chain, only more engaging.

The combat is probably the star of the show without it being as complicated as it appears. You have some very basic attacks with your weapon, this will charge a meter that lets you use your psychokinetic abilities, so you can fling items at enemies. Do that too often and the meter drains so you can't any more, but get in close to an enemy and land some weapon attacks and you'll be fine. Once enemies have taken enough damage, assuming you haven't already killed them, you'll be able to perform a kind of finisher/super move, against weaker enemies this is a one hit kill, against bosses it can be a difference maker.

Both while you're exploring the world (although this hasn't been an option yet in the way it was in the demo), and in combat, if you have teammates you can borrow their powers, ranging from your attacks doing fire damage, you becoming invulnerable, or even invisible for stealth attacks, amongst others. These work on a cool down, and are more or less required at points, but they aren't unavailable for long. There's also a meter that fills where you'll become super powered for a bit, I get the feeling once you've levelled up a bit this will be a huge deal, at the minute it's more annoying that you can't trigger it yourself and save it for when you need it

There's an rpg element. You level up, although it's not presented what that really means (presumably stats and HP), you can equip items, buy better weapons, healing is done on a slight cooldown which can be a bit of a pain. There's also a skill tree, it takes BP points to buy new perks, but these come pretty quickly, to the point that I feel like I might well max it out before the end of the game unless there's hidden branches to it. You can also increase your bonds with your teammates, this is done in your down time with gifts and bonding missions, and it gets you new layers to their abilities. It seems to be pretty similar to how Persona handles it tbh

The only real criticism I have is that it's all presented in a bit of a confusing way. Lots of different, but pretty similar people bouncing around, odd terms, lots of menus. It can feel like it's slow doling things out too, not that it's paced badly or feels like a slog, and maybe this is a consequence of having played the demo, but knowing that at some point I'll have 4 teammates at once, be able to explore certain areas, the way it gates this feels like it's holding you back, even 10+ hours in to the game

I don't really have a lot more to say on this other than I'm really enjoying it, and it fucking goes. Where I thought the story was going in the first hour or so was probably enough to sustain a 12 hour game easily 

It's fucking batshit though. I'm not even going to put it in spoilers or skirt around it because it needs to be seen to be believed, it's like if you wanted to take the piss, only they aren't. It does have lots of people turning against you, multiple factions, sides and politics, then in the downtime they send you a brain text so you can meet up and build your social link with them over a pint. 

Fun though, and for the most part not hugely difficult despite the complicated combat elements. Until you fight a named human at least, any time I've died its been in those fights 

• 2 months later...

I've played the first few hours of this courtesy of Game Pass. I have no idea what's going on story wise, something about a team of combat trained teenagers with special powers that can fight 'The Others', a group of enemies that seem to consist of things such as fetishised flower arrangements. As Dangerman said, it throws more Characters at you in the first hour than three seasons of Game of Thrones, but the overall aesthetic seems pretty cool and the actual combat is great fun. Slamming down massive pieces of scenery on enemies is immensely satisfying.

Not sure if this is the kind of game i'll stick out to the end, but it's enjoyable so far.

I played this game for an hour and it’s making me miserable. Attacks have such a heavy, slow feel, animations leave you committed to the attack so you can’t jump or dodge out of it, not being able to dodge in between attacks, when getting knocked down spending a whole 5 seconds on the floor before getting back up, being hit off screen by enemies. Combine that together it’s miserable.

I just quit mid tutorial battle because it’s trying to show me something new about holding the L trigger. But while trying to do it a flying enemy hit me from the back off screen and knocked me down. So I have to wait 5 seconds to get off the floor just for it to happen again.

Add all the anime bullshit on top of it. I hate all of these generic ass stereotypical anime high school soldier kids. Find a new trope. 

Yuck this game is disgusting. Can’t remember the last time I despised a game within the hour. Maybe the combat gets better the more skills you get, I had to spend 1 point on a double jump which feels like it was missing and you should just have that out the box, so maybe you can buy stuff to make it a more standard action game, but I hate it too much already to spend the time trying to unlock basic action game abilities. 

Why did it unlock 1 achievement I could of just deleted it off the list and it would of been like I never played it.

Well I'm liking it too.  I was three hours in before turning it off.  I get what Maf is saying, I too get a frowny face when I can't cancel an attack with a dodge in an action game but there's still ones I like so it's not a deal breaker, but I guess it does lock abilities in its ability tree that probably should be available from the start.  Like, there is a recover from a knock down ability, and it's not the earliest one too.

I dunno what's going on with the story, I'm early but I can't figure out where it's going, which sounds good on paper but I'll be surprised if it isn't buck wild nonsense.  It doesn't have the elegance of an SMT/Persona game where it uses some out there mythology and world building to communicate something still relatable.  For example, I have no idea what those early monsters are meant to represent.

But so far I've been enjoying the combat and curious enough to see where they're gonna go.

Maybe I should be less off a baby and try harder but the initial hour really put me off. It’s so annoying being mid combo, watching an enemy start his attack on you and having zero options but to get hit. Then when on the ground spending forever to get back up.

The combat system also doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I understand the basics, but I don’t understand how to use it well. I picked the girl character where you have to do physical attacks with the twirly knife thing and then after push RT to do a follow up Psychokinesis attack. But most of the time when I’m trying to do the follow up I just get punched out of nowhere.

I played some more, up until the first boss and that was aggravating too. He spits water at you and it was one of those dumb timing things where every time I tried my attack he would do his a split second before. So many potions.

Maybe I will give it another try later or tomorrow but initial impressions is wholly negative. I just don’t understand the point of a slow character action game. 

I'm actually really enjoying this. If it wasn't for Game Pass I wouldn't have even given it a second look, but i'm now around the five hour mark and the story is starting to go a bit bat shit. 

I think @DANGERMAN has hit the nail on the head with everything he's said so far. The combat is fantastic though. It boils down to a basic attack with x, a heavier attack that restores your 'special' bar (can't remember what they call it in game). R trigger lets you use that to hurl random objects at enemies and if you time it at the same time as an attack it gives it a little more wallop. Your parties abilities are mapped to the a,b,x & y, and if you stagger an enemy you can perform a 'brain crush' - a swishy animation that's a one hit kill on the basic enemies.

One of my favourite aspects though is the L trigger. This lets you hurl heavier environmental scenery about, with a little QTE that you need to pull off. There was a bit last night where I could use the L trigger on a bus. On doing so, I jumped on top of it and drove it through the area, mowing down everything in its path.

It's excruciatingly anime at times and the story throws names and terminology at you so thick and fast that I have no idea what's going on but i'm really enjoying my time with this.

2 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Glad you're enjoying it @Whiskey_chaser I know it's not been a vintage year for games but this is easy top 5 for me so far

What character did you play as? I'm currently going through as Yuiot, I might even go for a playthrough as the other character if the game isn't too long, just to see how the story pans out from the other perspective.

I’ve made a start on it and for what’s it’s worth I did some reading up on who to pick and the consensus was to go the bloke then the girl. Most said his side sets up the mystery and her side solves it. 

Only played 45 mins so far so no take as yet but I’m enjoying the combat, disliking the comic style presentation of the talky bits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Up to the end of Phase 5. I haven’t got a clue what’s going on and keep confusing characters’ names. But I’m thoroughly enjoying it still. Combat is really good fun & although I don’t really know what’s going on, I want to figure out what’s going on. So yea, good game. 

I'm just coming to end of Phase 8 on Yuito run through & I'm enjoying it very much.  The story is completely crazy & not where I thought it would go at all.

The story is definitely carrying this now though, the combat is alright but gets very samey & doesn't really have much of a challenge.

I think I will probably do a run through with Kasane just to see the other side of the story.

• 1 month later...

Completed My Yuito run today. 

I ended up being a bit cooler on it by the end. The combat stayed enjoyable throughout but it definitely felt really repetitive by the end. Especially since it did that bullshit thing where the last section was basically just a bunch of combat rooms to pad it out. Hate that shit.

It all just feels really budget too, theres very little variety in locations and enemies. I really didn’t like the panel style cut scenes/dialogue scenes. The dialogue was just really childish and naive at times too, even by JRPG standards. 

Saying all that thoigh, overall I still enjoyed it enough to carry on and the story held my interest for the most part - I started skipping the bonding episode though. Even though I liked them at first they get a bit too much. 

6/10

I started Kasane to see how it differed and the combat is just far too similar. Think I’ll just watch her side on YouTube and leave it at that.