passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guardians of the Galaxy

DisturbedSwan

I was watching the footage of this again via Max’s react video and it looks tonnes better. Not to say it looks like a overly exciting game, but yesterday it looked like an actual scrappy, broken game similar to how F76 looks. I was shocked when they said October. Watching it again though a lot more pleased with it. I laughed at some of the jokes too. It looks alright. 

Probably my biggest surprise of E3, I knew it was coming thanks to rumours/leaks but I didn’t expect it to look as good as it does and for all the characters to land as well as they did with me, just looked phenomenal.

Day 1 I think.

Yeah, it looks okay. Maybe not the reaction SE is hoping for but it's already more than I gave them for Avengers. 

Also, I'm really glad they went with classic Gamora for this. The MCU version always rubbed me the wrong way but this design is ace.

Who's the blue baddy with the mace btw.? My GotG exposure so far has been limited to MvCU/MvCI and the movies and unless she'a female Ronan she hasn't been in any of those.

I'm actually quite surprised people think it's looks better than Avengers tbh

I fall between not knowing if people are too hard on that game or not. Like straight off the bat I would much prefer to play as any of the characters in the Avengers game than Peter Quill, except for Hulk of course cause he sucks.

One thing I feel looking at it is it shows the signs from where it started as a GAAS beat em up like Avengers, and then they pivoted away from that. Because they would not be able to justify designing all the characters gameplay styles in Avengers but for the fact that they were going to support that game with lots of content and have each character be a playable class. Here it looks like they stopped doing that work and quickly turned it into a single player character action game (even has a style meter, lol) and turned the rest of the team into cooldowns for Starlord.

Avengers is a funky mess of a game but it just feels a bit more consistent looking to what this is, which right now looks like a (to be fair, completely justified) reaction to the reaction to Avengers. But I really wish that game had worked out cause it has the makings of a pretty fun co-op character action game, it just needs a ton of polish and a metric ton of content. Which is why I will pick it up again for Wakanda to see what changed, it's free after all

Yea I’m wondering if I’m looking at a different game to some people. It looks ok and very happy it not a GaaS but doesn’t look particularly great. Still looks quite stiff in the animation department too and that in game dialogue was going on a bit and trying really hard. Sure that’s keeping with the films but in a game it never works in quite the same way. 

Starlord being the only playable character is definitely a bummer because he's pretty much the lamest dude of the party. They're kind of going for a JRPG style approach to enemy encounters with the little animation and XP pop-up when everything's over so it would have been nice to see them going for a system like FFVII Remake with more than one playable character that you can switch on the fly for combos and stuff.

But it's not GaaS, I'l take it. And yes, that's probably the only reason I think it looks more inviting than Avengers, this whole forced live service thing is just such a turnoff at this point.

I guess as someone who's not invested with the property much I just take a more cynical view of it. I see the live service as maybe the monkey's paw that finally allowed a game like Avengers to exist. Though without that aspect the game could have been solely a Kamala Kahn game, which might have satisfied more people. But I don't really know, I don't have any familiarity with the character. She reminded me of a female maf lol

If she was like me they would have to take her out of the game not make her front and centre. 

EDITED

Luckily that brings me back to GotG. Where is this idea that this was a GaaS coming from? Is that the rumour or just suspicion? Because I don’t see that in this. Or why they would try to have two Marvel games as GaaS. My thought when watching was the characters were going to be in Avengers but they pulled them out of that fire and quickly put a new game together around them. It’s why it seems so unpolished.

I still think it looks alright. It looks like a mid gen PS4 action game. Which is not a compliment. But it’s not damning either. It looks Ok. 

@Maryokutai I don’t know who the bad guy is, either. In the trailer they call her Hellbender. I Googled that and it came back with a character I vaguely recognise, but doesn’t look anything like the character in the game so I dunno ?‍♂️

It's my speculation because allegedly they held back on showing it for a while to get some distance from Avengers. But primarily, it just seems self evident to me. It's a game about a rag-tag group of Avengers wannabes that looks to be built on the same development tools they built for Avengers. It seems astronomically unlikely that the devs wouldn't see the appeal in playing as the entire team and the way the party cooldown system is shoehorned in there just screams 'this is a bandaid'. Like when they put up the design doc for this game I doubt it was imagined that Starlord was the main reason people would want to play. Maybe Starlord has his fans but he's no Spidey. I personally would like to play as the rabbit instead

At the same time Square also made Final Fantasy XV and spent years making DLC for that so that it could have playable party members. So it could just be like that, that they are going to make DLC for the other characters to be playable. Or maybe they wanted to have a goofy Mass Effect, it could be that too. But considering the kind of game that Avengers is, the kind of reaction it got, the extended silence we got on this until it's almost close to release and the roughness of the product, all of that just makes me think it was conceived differently

edit or actually I'm super wrong on all of this, but damn it certainly gave me that impression

I think it makes sense. Avengers was in development for forever and a day and GotG is obviously re-using a lot of stuff they built for that game. Even if Avengers would have turned out to be a somewhat successful game SE probably had this in the back of their hand to recoup some of those development costs.

I can vaguely remember another studio doing something similar in the last couple of years but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Or maybe it was just a dream.

35 minutes ago, Maf said:

@Maryokutai I don’t know who the bad guy is, either. In the trailer they call her Hellbender. I Googled that and it came back with a character I vaguely recognise, but doesn’t look anything like the character in the game so I dunno ?‍♂️

Okay, if you don't even know I don't feel bad. And I think she does kind of look the same, just a different colour for the outfit basically:

u-g-Q134NQN0.jpg?w=300&h=450

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Written Previews:

GamesBeat

I had fun with Guardians of the Galaxy. It has a lot going on. Its most obvious point of comparison is the campaign from Marvel's Avengers. And if you enjoyed the writing and action in that, you'll likely enjoy it here.

But the game lives right in the heart of an uncanny valley when it comes to comparisons to the films. This Peter Quill has a Walkman with headphones that players can use to activate pop-music needle drops to give the squad a boost in combat. Drax, like in the films, is a bit of a meathead. And Rocket's voice actor is trying to sound a lot like Bradley Cooper's New York accent.

It's all so familiar that when things don't look or feel exactly right, it's all the more noticeable.

The game continues its team-based orientation even outside of combat. You'll encounter puzzles that require you ask for help from specific members of the team. And it's not always as simple as "hey you, open that door." In one instance, I had to plead with Rocket multiple times and get other Guardians to help me convince the raccoon to use his skills.

And really, that is a strong place for Guardians to land. Right in that meaty part of the tension between the characters. And I have confidence that the game will try to do some interesting things with that dynamic.

Game Informer

As they walk through the station, the Guardians bicker the entire time, lobbing insults and comebacks. Sometimes, you can even respond. The constant chatter between the Guardians, both in and out of combat, goes a long way to installing the tone for which the space-misfit team has become known. "With each chapter and each location, we broke it up and we wrote tons and tons of extraneous banters that could be happening in the combat," senior narrative director Mary DeMarle says. "We had to write tons because we knew that we wanted to keep that bantering going in the combat, so we were always creating of system of combat arcs/banters in which they're throwing out one line and randomly another will answer."

Though the path through the narrative is linear, decisions you make with your fellow Guardians and other characters impact the story as you progress. However, the game doesn't operate on a morality meter or anything along those lines. Instead, your interactions can lead you to learn more about a character's backstory or even set up events to happen as you play through the story, such as unique gameplay paths or different tools at your disposal.

Click to shrink...

As much as I love wandering through an environment and picking up what I can along the way, I have bigger things to worry about. The eerie exploration is soon crashed by surviving Nova Corps troops. Gamora soon notes they're glowing purple, and once they start talking, it's clear something is off. After realizing a fanatical cult has infiltrated the Nova Corps ranks, a battle ensues. Star-Lord can use his blasters at range, float above the battlefield, or get up close for melee attacks. However, the meat of the combat involves issuing commands to your fellow Guardians.

By tapping the bumper, a menu maps each squad mate to a face button for commands. Drax hits hard and typically inflicts stagger on his targets, while Gamora is a bit speedier and more precise. Groot's moves often set up combinations for the heroes, while Rocket's tech attacks deal AoE damage. Each Guardian operates on a cooldown, so you can't just spam their attacks, but if you combine them just right, you can deal serious damage and turn the tide of the fight. Once you get the enemies hurt enough, you can execute a cinematic finisher that involves all the Guardians volleying the enemy back and forth.

PushSquare

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't just wear its Mass Effect influences on its sleeve: it prances them about like Chris Pratt in the opening exchanges of the franchise's first movie. The similarities to BioWare's space-faring soap opera are so plentiful that they're almost impossible to ignore, but following the success of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, it should have publisher Square Enix greasing its palms.

At any point, you can interact with the ship's cockpit to depart, where the main mission begins. Upon arrival, it turns out that the Nova Corps outpost has been abandoned, forcing the Guardians to effectively break and enter in search of Ko-Rel. This introduces some of the exploration gameplay elements, as protagonist Peter Quill is able to use an alternative to detective vision in order to reroute a power system, enabling the crew to infiltrate the base.

The Guardians will bicker and snipe with each other as you poke around, but the dialogue never feels quite as sharp or interesting as in the films. In fact, living up to the outstanding blockbusters may be the biggest problem that this title faces: without the baggage of two of the MCU's biggest ever movies, we feel like fans may be more forgiving of the occasionally flat delivery and stilted dialogue here, but it sticks out like a sore thumb at times.

It's not really a fair comparison, of course, because we suspect this campaign will take at least 20 hours to beat, where director James Gunn makes the most of every second of the two hours he has to work with – but these are the drawbacks of licensed properties, we're afraid.

Click to shrink...

Fortunately, the combat is fantastic, and attracts parallels to Mass Effect once again. You control Quill from a third-person perspective, armed with a photon blaster and the ability to knee-slide. However, at the push of a button you can command your teammates, whether it's getting Drax to perform a wrestling move or Groot to wrap up opponents in tree-like tendrils. By either dishing damage or depleting your adversary's defences, each squad member brings something a little different to your arsenal.

You're encouraged to use your allies, too, as this will improve your overall score. Similarly, Starlord's weapon will only be effective in close quarters situations, forcing you to close space and play recklessly. It all comes together to create a combat system that's frantic, and the excitement is enhanced by the addition of portrait artwork and brash words that appear on screen while you execute. You'll even be able to trigger a special move which removes the cooldowns on your commands, all while songs by artists like Wham and Blondie play in the background.

PowerUp Gaming

Thanks to its status as the most frivolous and wacky outpost of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's a lot of excitement about Square Enix turning Guardians of the Galaxy into a videogame. Mixed, it must be said, with a certain amount of trepidation, arising from the Anglo-Japanese publisher's previous exercise along similar lines: the disappointingly loot-centric and generic Marvel's Avengers.

Happily, two hours of hands-on gameplay with Guardians of the Galaxy suggests that its developer, Eidos Montreal, has worked hard to make the sort of game that fans of the franchise would actually want to play. Guardians of the Galaxy is single-player only, unsullied by even the merest hint of a loot box. Gameplay-wise, it's a story-driven third-person brawler/shooter/puzzler that makes the most of the chemistry between Peter Quill/Star-Lord and his motley crew and makes a fine job of evoking the unique Guardians of the Galaxy universe

Wcctech

Before docking, we had the opportunity to spend time aboard the Milano spaceship. While the game features a lot of humorous banter (thanks to some great voice acting) between the Guardians even when exploring the various locales, it's on the Milano that most of the proper conversations will take place. This is largely optional but highly recommended for those who want to dive into the RPG-like aspect of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Roaming around the Milano and into each Guardian's room lets you learn a lot more about their past, tightening the relationships within the team.

The Milano is equipped with a workbench, too, where players can upgrade abilities or equipment after gathering parts while they're on a mission. According to the developers, this is meant to be more of a bonus for those who explore every cranny looking for materials and collectibles, but you won't actually require all these upgrades to go through boss fights and complete the game.

As far as we could see in the preview, the team can either be down on morale and in need of a pep talk or overconfident, which is when Peter Quill should try to keep them focused and steady. If you succeed in correctly assessing the right speech, all of the Guardians of the Galaxy receive a temporary boost to ability cooldowns upon reentering combat, allowing you to literally spam attacks for a little while; otherwise, only Star-Lord gets the boost. It's an interesting mechanics that fits very well with the inherent goofiness of this ragtag but lovable team of superheroes.

Overall, we had lots of fun playing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, even with the spotty connection hampering the combat experience a bit. By focusing squarely on single player, Eidos Montréal may well have avoided the pitfalls of their sister studio Crystal Dynamics with Marvel's Avengers, which turned out to be lacking in both single player and multiplayer departments. We're also eager to explore the rest of the game, as the B-Roll footage provided by Square Enix even featured a brief space combat section, something the developers hadn't previously mentioned at all.

• 4 weeks later...