passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

My name is Mafimus Mashimus Stupidous, Spammer of the Square Button, Failure of the Super Combo, Jumper Upper in the Air. And I will have my belt, in this life or the next.

Please

I sent someone back to floor 4 lol

Spoiler

Also I'm getting used to roman cancel, so now I have a reason to look at trying to invent combos and see what links together, tho the ones I'm using are pretty much just [attack]->[RC]->[some other thing], rinse repeat.

One thing I'm struggling on is fighting just about anyone who isn't the blond sword guy or the character I am playing. I fought this Axl guy and I can't figure out the answer to all those chain grabs. Guy was just hanging out in the corner grabbing me over and over.

Another thing I don't get is how I dodged the super in this last clip. I was rly tired at this point and barely able to concentrate but it also seems the game wasn't able to concentrate either and shoot me with the lasers

Spoiler

Maf asked me to show him a combo, well all I have are fairly humble constructions but they're ones I came up with myself so that makes me feel good at least. Not that I know if they're any use or not

Spoiler

I'm trying to figure out how exactly you use this dude's super in a combo, cause it says you can

I always use the stick for 2D fighting games but people look at me like I'm a crazy person when I say that (even though it's closer in behaviour to an arcade stick than a d-pad).

The problem with that is that dashing is kind of shitty to pull off with a stick, so I just switch around between stick for motion input and d-pad for dashing. But that only kind of works if the game isn't super dash-heavy like SF – don't know how I'd handle it in GG because you're dashing all the time in that game.

I’m D-pad but on PlayStation. Never played a fighting game on Xbox so don’t know what I would use. 

I actually think the PS4 has a better D-pad than the PS5 so if you can hook that up to a PC then try that maybe

@HandsomeDead want to play online and let me perfect you so I can get the trophy? ✌️

Seeing as you're looking at combos then is there any point in doing combos which require RC and supers in them, cause they both use 50% of your tension?

I was up really late last night trying to see if I could do a combo just like that before thinking it would have such low utility just cause of how rare you could use it. Which makes me struggle to see how to combo with supers in general

eg, with Gio I can do that back kick->RC->the super where she spins around. But I'll probably hardly have a chance to use something like that

edit ignore that Gio example actually, too fucky

I guess you can do a combo with a RC and a Super if you want maximum damage. I find supers in this to hard to do so I just use tension for RC to get extra hits or get out of danger. 

That Gio combo I did on the other page can end in the spinning Super. But it’s not something I’m really practising because Supers are too hard to do in a real match.

I got the example I was trying to explain to work, but yea I almost never have full tension so I will never get a chance to do it outside of a training dummy

[Uploading]

One thing I do find is the RC gives you a massive buffer to get that super out though, makes the execution easier

How do you do the Dust air launcher? I’ve seen people do it but haven’t figured it out.

Also you don’t need to push the dummy back to the centre you can press a button to recenter characters in the screen (Or too the corners as well with direction input).

EDIT: There aren’t any good Millia combo vids just people showing off. She seems kind of rad but I will need to return to her when there’s more help. 

So while I got bodied in these fights (1 set to me, 2 to the ninja) it's the moment where I felt the most improvement in my technique and started to actually identify when to use high profile/low profile/try and control spam. So my awareness improved just through these rounds. Just panicked in the last round tho and lost sight of the prize. But it's still proggers. I blocked a super, that's poggers. Then he blocked mine, that's bollocks

The next thing I need to develop awareness of is my opponent's meter, cause he clearly saw where mine was at when he blocked my special.

(also he bodied me in the sets just before the bit I bookmarked, in case evidence was needed of my baby brain when it comes to fighting)

I really struggle fighting this particular character tho because he has control over the camera in a way that verges on bullshit.

Anyway if I stick with this I guess it could be GOTY material for me, but if only for the fact that there's only one other game I can think of that came out this year that I liked and it's an old game (NieR). 

Also the dust air launcher is just press up when doing that move, but I've never managed to pull it off in fights. I usually super ppl through the wall instead lol

I feel like I need to practice every character in this game to just understand how to deal with them, like that character in that video was all I fought today and I only just won 2/3 sets with one of them. But before that I was the training dummy.

Also I'm finding out who can't just press the buttons too fast in this game, you got to hold back a bit to get the inputs out correct. I also feel like saving meter for specials is a bit of a mug's game cause ppl bait them out of you and block them I notice, but a RC combo really opens ppl up.

I did a cool moment in one round where I dodged a character's super and use Gio's air super back on them, my weakness with games like this is trying to craft cool moments like that when I should concentrate on more efficiently killing them. Literally bouncing around the arena when the enemy has a pip of health but I have a meter and I want to murder them all stylish

I want to learn I-No in this cause she's the character with the most DMC energy of all of them, but it feels so hard to see how stuff connects with her. There's probably a laundry list of mechs in there I need to get better at to get anywhere, like jump cancelling. I still don't really get if dashing can be used in combos. I know there are videos which will explain everything but I want to develop that muscle memory myself.

I'm surprised he never got in to them because they're mechanics heavy in the way a DMC game can be

At the same time fighting games are way harder than DMC. It's only playing fighting games you realise how generous character action games are. They can make you feel cool but they're really going easy on you.

Fighting games are like lets take the bubble wrap off and not only do you have to do deal with these really difficult buttons and mechanics but you also need to do it against another person. Not just a boss monster that attacks in set patterns or whatever. 

It's what makes these games fun but it makes them way harder than pretty much any other game (imo). 

EDIT: Also the windows in which fighting games will accept buttons and allow combos to connect are bullshit (imo) it's such a change of pace because no other type of game I've played is so strict about it's windows and stuff