passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear -Strive-

HandsomeDead

This is like a blog post but a fight stick won't help you here. It's a completely new mechanical skill you'd have to grind out, so let me save you that money at least. You can ask pros what they think about the skill advantage a stick gives them, ask Punk (SF5, GG player) if he would win more often with a stick than a controller

(A hitbox will help because it's literally what the thing is designed for, but that's even more expensive and you still have to grind it out)

It’s not an argument about if stick is better than pad overall is will it better for me. On a good day I hit most of my shit and it goes smoothly. But most of the time I’m just doing wacky shit because my moves aren’t coming out. After a year. 

I’m not saying a stick will be better or level up my skill. But I might try one just to see if my inputs get better. They’re so inconsistent. 

They will definitely absolutely get a hell of a lot worse. Speaking as someone who already performed that experiment and gave the stick away as a gift after a month.

I got some day 2 testament gaming in. The character is for babies so you don't need a flight stick to unga chipp from screen to screen, floor 9 gaming baby.

Strive is so pad friendly so getting used to a stick might be difficult.  I have to figure out somewhere to put the dash macro still.  I've not tried it yet but my theory for me is having it on the third button, top row where Dust usually is and move that to the button just under it.  I looked up some layouts others use but they don't look right to me.

With this I think it's easy to drift after an RC and I can think more about utilising that and it's just D + H to burst (or I could use a macro but once I go beyond six buttons my brain breaks).  But I can't wait to dash instead of dust until muscle memory gets developed.

Strive is easily the weirdest game for finding a layout, I usually am okay with default.  Pad default looks like it's so much more sense but I just can't do it.

At this point though if you're gonna learn a new controller it's more worth while to learn how to use a hitbox.

Damn, man. That’s hardcore! This will sound dumb but how are you doing that? Are you just sitting in training and writing down what you find? Are you looking at frame data stuff as well? 

Some of it is tech I magpie from people's streams, some of it is tech I magpie off of celestial replays that you can download from other players. Some of it is stuff I came up with myself trying to think how to set things up, but Testament is very easy and intuitive to figure out your own tech versus trying to follow the I-No canon as dictated by Diaphone and Daru-Ino

I haven't really looked at frame data cause it's obvious enough what it is at this point. If I get merced from across the screen by a reversal from a button I press I know that the move has a big hurtbox. Also none of Testament's framedata is updated on dustloop anyway

The safe jump there is something I figured out myself but it's an obvious setup probably everyone has figured out, just a j.h ch combo off a hard knockdown. It might not be universal, I don't get into stuff like character weights and that shit

This is probably suboptimal, I think character weight might affect Ky's launch here

Off DP

Spoiler

Blockstring pressure is the main thing I'm trying to figure out. Matchup neutral approach can come later (I have an entire folder on that for i-no cause it's extremely difficult with her, every character in the game has a different approach for i-no which is why she has the 2 star rating in the game I think, cause of her movement)

• 2 weeks later...

My fighting game skill might be fraudulent, my knowledge of footsies built on a bedrock of lies and my patience with regard to thinking about who has frame advantage in neutral about as short as I am, but my ability to hard read an air grab opportunity is on fucking point if I do so dare to say

Spoiler

It's not that hard really, the sol one was cause he kept cycling vortex and bandit bringer and was getting a bit knowledge checked (a lot of people are getting knowledge checked by testament at the minute, but the character is so popular right now that that wont last).

But anyway, I blocked vortex in that clip, guess what he was going to go with next. Gimmicks only go so far tho, but with RC testament gets a crazy conversion off an air grab if you RC shift down, c.s, crow, 5k (crow stain pop), dash cancel 5k into another c.s then 6h into crow for a wallsplat. Try it out.

Anyway I would guess that people are cagey about jumping against millia anyway so not really as much opportunities to air grab as their is with an incredibly annoying and cheap zoner character who's just hanging out slinging balls of red sludge at you and teleporting at you

I have no idea what it is or what it setups but I dunno maybe this is it (end of video). I guess it resets with oki

Just seems like a very height dependent thing where the timing has to be managed for every character weight and specific situation

Tho I dont know if this is right or anything

edit I tried again this time with a virtual controller display, and set the other millia to reversal on wakeup

You can do it with every character and from what I’ve seen most good cS on someone, jumping or even off Hdisc leads in to it and there are great mixes that come from it, but I can’t do it

If I swap the second jS for jK I’ve got it a couple of times but this is really hard. I’ve been trying this for literally months

Aside I saw someone do this which is nasty as fuck

That’ll be a great game ender 

Like the dude says, after the c.s it's neutral (8) j.d, 9j.s, delay (5) j.s and pick them up with c.s (if I got it right)

Course in a real fight it takes ages to develop the wherewithal to be timing combos and picking them up at the end for a pressure reset. Not something I'm good at, yet

It’s just not as simple as getting the buttons right. I think there’a something highly specific that I’m missing. But I can’t figure it out

If I could learn this it would elevate my game a lot, but it’s been months and I just can’t

Well I’ve been trying for 3 hours and now throwing coat hangers at my bedroom door at 2:15am. I’m so pissed. I got it like a dozen times out of 10,000 attempts and only two was in a row. I even recorded me getting it and watched it a bunch and there is simply no difference in the way it looks when it works and when it doesn’t.

I even spent a lot of time trying to combine it with Millia’s sliding disc trick and never got it once. I’m not even sure if that’s possible. You would think after 100’s of attempts I would of got it once by accident. But maybe it’s impossible. But how would you know because fighting games don’t fucking tell you shit. 

I’m so mad. I just don’t know why it’s so hard. 

I mean we should take it to pm I think (or not), but I messed around with it on steam deck during lunch and I don't think there's much to it. It's a combo that has to be adapted to the opponent's height relative to yours in timing and in button presses. eg, if you are very far below at the first c.s do neutral j.d, or else if that would put you too high you use 9jd. Also the timing of the 2nd j.s is dependent on these same factors as well as character weight

At least that's what it felt like after messing around with it for a few minutes. I don't study this character's tech but at a glance that's the idea I reckon