passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne

spatular

i've played persona games before but no smt games, i guess so far it seems pretty similar but without the daily routine/social link stuff, and the demons/personas are in your party rather than being sort of summoned. you have to talk to the demons to try and recruit them, although this is often bollocks as they ask for loads of stuff and then just run away, i still like it though, they say weird things and it can be pretty funny. the demons mostly look familiar too as they're pretty much the same from the persona games.

i'm playing the super easy mode (which is free dlc), and it's really easy, i could have coped with some more difficulty, maybe a mode inbetween the normal one and the super easy one. but it's supposed to be quite long so the super easy mode should help with that. it's probably a good job i'm on the easy mode too as my main heal spell changed into something useless, and i've probably given most of my good healing items to demons while trying to recruit them. so i don't have many ways of healing at the moment but it hasn't made much difference.

minor spoiler for stuff near the start of the game

Spoiler

you get turned into a demon, i thought the main character looked pretty evil before that anyway. and loads of games have that 'bad guys want to end the world to start a new better one' thing, but i like how this happens right at the start and the game seems to take place in this new world, or something like that anyway. and i think you're supposed to want to help/save your friends but i'm not too keen on them and so not that bothered about helping/saving them.

this is a ps2 game i think, i'm not sure if any graphics have been upgraded, it doesn't really look like it, it just looks like a ps2 game in much higher resolution.

so far it's alright, i'm quite enjoying it but it's not been amazing or anything. i'm going to keep playing anyway.

It starts off really interesting, I think, then it turns into a slog for a while before it gets interesting again. It's basically like what if somebody made a game about third impact (from evangelion).

I think probably I will not play it again because it's too much RPG for me. But at the time I really liked it as an edgy version of Pokemon. I think that novelty will be a bit lost now cause the series has quite a few entries localised into English by now. I think at the time this might have been one of the first ones we got, other than the PS1 persona games (if we got those in Europe, I don't know). 

There is some bullshit in this tho where you can very easily miss out on the best content in the game. There's spoiler free guides for that I'd guess on the gfaqs board for the ps2 game, if that's something that would be interesting. It's worth it imo, but a pain as well

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

There is some bullshit in this tho where you can very easily miss out on the best content in the game. There's spoiler free guides for that I'd guess on the gfaqs board for the ps2 game, if that's something that would be interesting. It's worth it imo, but a pain as well

oh that's interesting, is that the 

Spoiler

true demon

ending? i did have a quick google to check which ending to go for but didn't find anything conclusive, some said that one was best but it sounds like it makes the game quite a bit longer.

The minigame was great, shame i started it late and apperently you have to do it in one go (not sure if thats different in this new version) so looked at a guide for a few of them as it took a few hours and was getting late.

I actually ended up buying it after all and beat Forneus on hard mode. Was having a good time but then the intensity and regularity of random encounters on the overworld is putting me off sticking with it. I'm glad turn based random encounters just sort of went away in JRPGs, I don't think I can stick them anymore

There needs to be a slider for re-releases like this to turn the encounter rate down and exp acquisition up IMO. I guess this is an excuse to try and figure out cheat engine, maybe there's a way

7 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

There needs to be a slider for re-releases like this to turn the encounter rate down and exp acquisition up IMO.

yeah definitely agree.

the easy mode in this is like im the big boss demon, the doors where it says a powerful force is nearby, yes i am nearby. You just destroy everything really quickly without looking at weaknesses and stuff. It takes all the skill out of it but i like it. Ive played easy mode in persona games and they are much harder than this.

last dungeon i did there were some pretty good puzzles.

I know the lyrics off by heart.

But actually there are no lyrics

In the OST booklet, Shoji Meguro admitted that the battle themes in the death metal style composed by him are downsampled to 11 khz because of RAM constraint of the PlayStation 2. The vocals of these battle themes are generated from "Albert" of the Macintosh Text-To-Speech, mixed with Meguro's own voices. There are no printed lyrics of these battle vocals. All lyrics are interpreted by fans.

Also what kind of RAM constraint is that? 

Yeah but that seemed like such a peculiar constraint, considering the kind of soundtrack that a game like FFX had. Bigger budget I know but curious what causes the constraint there, maybe it stores a ton of state for all the demons or something?

Anyway I am trapped in Matador purgatory, this motherfucker is so fucking hard on hard mode. It's been well over a decade since I did the fight and that was on normal. Basically he has this one move called 'Red Capote' which gives his accuracy and evasion stat a +4 boost, eg if you play persona it is equivalent to sukukuja times 4. He also cancels out any debuffs on him with dekaja, so sekunda has limited usefulness (hit/accuracy debuff).

So right now I'm trying to compose a team which has ample buffs/debuffs to take the edge off of some of this turns, as well as bring in a shitty elephant with no face demon cause it drains force magic (wind, it's called force in SMT3 for some reason) and that gives me extra turns cause of press turn system. I got to phase 2 once but then when you get there he stops using magic and fucks you up with physical, so I need to find some resist physical strategy to get through that as well.

FUCK THIS GUY AAA

70d.jpg

edit I beat him, all it required was getting greedy when he's getting ready to 'focus' charge up his big attack

Where I'm at now, my progress on this is pretty glacial. I was kinda hoping to wing it a bit but I actually do have to grind and look at my party composition carefully. I'm not much of a grinder these days but it doesn't take long to get new demons

What is a cruel joke though is how every new demon in my level range was weak to electricity when trying to fight this Thor muthafucka. It really does feel like you have to raw level grind your character out of the early 20s to get away from all these ppl who be afraid of getting a little bit zapped. Ended up having to bring in a weaker demon just to stop giving that dude so many turns, and debuffed the hell out of him. But now I'm getting trashed by Dante, who is much harder on hard and I don't think evasion/accuracy debuffs seem to matter to him (also Reuben Langdon voices him in this game which is weird, the guy who started doing the character from dmc3, 4 and 5)

I am enjoying this. it's the first time I've ever put one of these games on hard mode and will probably be the last though. Or maybe I might jump straight into SMTV on hard mode if it is more fair than this is and lets me save whenever I want, so I'm not getting merced by random encounters. You can't run away from fights on hard mode either, or at least they way they let you do it is if you pump a bunch of points into luck and agility. Which I've not done so I have to do every single fight that happens. Some of them can go south really quick, you really need to murder them fast or just go crazy on buffs or weaknesses. Which is the whole point of the game anyway, otherwise there's not a whole lot here.

Anyway it's a shame this thing was sent out to die cause I actually think this old ass styling holds up in a weird way cause they don't make this kind of game anymore, even with the newer SMT titles. 

I'm not sure what's going on with Atlus anyway. Technically speaking they haven't even released a proper, inhouse produced game for the PS4 generation and we're up to the next one already (P5 was a PS3 game they ported over because it took them so long to finish). And the next game "right" after that is SMTV, which comes out in a few months, five and a half years after its announcement. Everything else was ports or publishing deals. It seems the death of the 3DS and the smaller, low-budget games that it enabled severely hurt their output.

@Maryokutaithat is something I was worried about at the time. Not specifically just Atlus, but the 3DS had a niche for a certain type of game, cheap to make rpgs, and they've disappeared now. More or less anyway, I think Bravely Default falls in to that category even if it wasn't that cheap 

The persona 3/5 dancing and fire emblem games came out? 

But anyway, I'm near the end of this now, I'm giving the optional dungeon a go but might just skip it and finish the game quicker, see how it goes. It's been a bit of a mixed bag, but pretty interesting.

Finished this now, did the optional dungeon, took about 10 hours extra so yeah not sure its worth it. Ended up using a guide quite a lot. It was alright overall, glad to have given it a go, the story is pretty bonkers. Took about 45 hours, which i believe is pretty fast, because of the super easy mode.

Big ending/story spoilers for the tde:

Spoiler

True demon ending - the story starts off and the world ends, some people including a few of your friends survive. Someone can be chosen to recreate the world to their liking. Your friends and other guys each want to create the world in a different way - all of which sound pretty stupid. Oh yeah at the start you become a half demon, then later you become a full demon, and basically reject all these new world ideas and fight/kill most of them and the gods that are backing them, and thats the end of the world or something, but youre off to fight some other people or something then. Not sure.

was planning on playing 5 but maybe leave that for a bit now.