passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset Ɨ
MFGamers

Resident Evil VillagešŸ§Ÿā€ā™€ļø

Nag

The start of the game feels a little disjointed in my opinion, at least until entering the castle where things settle in to more of a rhythm.Ā 

Ā 

The start actually plays better in new game plus.

• 2 weeks later...

So meĀ and my mate just finished I think our 4th round of this game. We justĀ 

Ā 

Spoiler

Put the last flasks in the Altar and on our way to see Magneto

This game is super fun. Itā€™s a really great, AAA, casual, roller coaster, action blockbuster game like I havenā€™t played in a good chunk of time. The attitude in this game is so different to other Resident Evil games it even rubs off on me. Instead of being scared and hoarding ammo Iā€™m throwing everything at everything. Using resources whenever I feel like it. And after any kind of eventĀ the game is there to just give you it all back again. Thanks, game.

Ā 

So many times me and my friend have commented how we haveĀ 12 bullets thenĀ 90 bullets back down to 12 without even noticing. Itā€™s refreshing to actually use weapons in a game like this instead of leaning on the base weapon saving the rest just in case. This game says fuck that. If you donā€™t use it now you wonā€™t be able to pick more of it up later. Fun.

Ā 

It was a bit of a rough start today. Picked right back up on the fish boss and that whole section. I betĀ itā€™s fine if you know what to do but itā€™s the only part of the game I died a lot in because I couldnā€™t figure out the set piece.

Ā 

But after that the game picked up and it was a lot of werewolf action. Really cool. Best fights in the game.Ā 

Ā 

I think Iā€™ve picked up nearly everything so far? TheĀ only things I donā€™t have is a rare animal and one necklace jewel. But there still might be time for that. The only thing Iā€™ve definitely missed is a small bit of water with some fish in. I canā€™t be assed to go back so I wonā€™t be getting every recipe on this playthrough but oh well.Ā 

I was playing this with someone because when I played 7 I literally needed someone to sit there with me. Itā€™s probably the second scariest game Iā€™ve played after PT. So we said weā€™ll do thatĀ again because itā€™s fun with friends and I need the support. This game is a joke, though. The things that happen in the beginning make it almost a horrorĀ comedy. Which might be new for video games. Has a game done that before? HouseĀ of the Dead, I guess.Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t say that as a negative. Iā€™ve really enjoyed it. But save for the feel of the gameplayĀ and some iconic things like herbs this game feels like itā€™s in a different series. Iā€™ve been really stunned at the turn around from 7 to 8. Iā€™m not sure I can think of a game that had such a drastic departure from one game to the next. At least in terms of tone, story and style.Ā 
Ā 

Which leads me to my last thought.Ā Iā€™m not a real Resident Evil fan at all so it doesnā€™t really move me too much. Even as a casual though what is this series anymore? The last 3 games I played were 7, theĀ 2 Remake and 8. Is Capcom bored or what lol.Ā 
Ā 

And it doesnā€™t matter. Theyā€™re all kick ass games. Each of them is fantastic. So itā€™s cool. Winning solves everything. And if you keep putting out winners then why stop whatā€™s working. Seriously, though,Ā what is Resident Evil anymore. I canā€™t think of a less predictable game at this point than Resident Evil 9.

Ā 

12 hours ago, Maf said:

Which leads me to my last thought.Ā Iā€™m not a real Resident Evil fan at all so it doesnā€™t really move me too much. Even as a casual though what is this series anymore? The last 3 games I played were 7, theĀ 2 Remake and 8. Is Capcom bored or what lol.Ā 

To be honest, I think that is a fair assessment.

7 & 8 are easily good enough to have been a new IP. Aside from Chris Redfield, the ties to the classic series are tenuous at best (storywise, the Spencer connection in 8 fell flat to me).

Capcom clearly lost their way with RE6. Which arguably amounted to several demos for different games.Ā Ā They haven't really refocusedĀ that vision with the REmakes either. As by their nature, they don't bring fresh insight into the series future.

• 4 weeks later...

Me and my friend finished this game tonight. We both kind of soured on it from the ā€˜tankā€™ onwards. Iā€™m not really sure why, though. I think part of it is we had no idea what was going on. Several times one of us let out the equivalent of ā€œWhat?ā€ But the game kept taking further and further leaps in to nonsense and we got worn out by not just the leaps but also the notĀ understanding them.

Ā 

TheĀ game play might have been overdone as well. It took 11 hours to finish the game so the core gameplayĀ I know I had definitely seen enough of, then at the end itĀ changes things up but I dunno.Ā It was so ridiculous and all over the place it just lost me.Ā Ā 
Ā 

I think what maybe also bought it low was that it just kept going. I thought we wereĀ at the end about 4 times and then there was another thing. What is it with Resident Evil games andĀ not knowing when to quit.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m struggling to process what happened or Iā€™m left a bit empty because thereā€™s not really anything to process.Ā Overall Iā€™m not sure. At one point I was really high on this game, but being a bit too long and getting very messy now I would put it behind 7 and RE2 Remake by kind of a lot.Ā 

• Nag changed the title to Resident Evil VillagešŸ§Ÿā€ā™€ļø
  • 4 months later...

Started this yesterday.Ā 
That whole Doll house section was expertly done! Got actual goosebumps at times. Shame it was so small and short but better than outstaying itā€™s welcome.Ā 

The castle was good too. But Iā€™ve got to say Iā€™m not enjoying this anywhere near as much as 7. I donā€™t think the village area really adds anything to the experience at all. The castle and house have nothing on areas like the Baker mansion. They feel like small side properties in other games. The characters arenā€™t anywhere near as interesting yet either. & whereas 7 felt really tense most of the time, apart from the doll house this has basically just been a action game.Ā 

Ā 

Thereā€™s so many enemies too! Which is already getting a bit tiresome. Think it says something when my favourite part so far has been where thereā€™s no combat at all.Ā 
Ā 

Basically, early impressions are I really like it but itā€™s also a bit disappointing.Ā 

Completed. Really great game but 7 is far superior.Ā 
The back 3rd dip which occurs in all Resi games isnā€™t anywhere near as bad in this as most though. The final location you explore is actually really good IMO. First time the graphics, which I found disappointing for the most part, wowed me there too.Ā 

Ā 

Think Iā€™ll definitely play through on a harder difficulty and get the collectibles.Ā 

• 1 month later...

@NagĀ Yes and yes. I had the Stake fully upgraded with unlimited ammo when I did it. Thereā€™s a couple of sticking points but itā€™s mostly easy with that. The

Spoiler

Chris Redfield section

is the hardest since you lose your Stake at that point but itā€™s more than manageable. I also mopped up some of the other achievements at the same time which made it harder so if youā€™re just focused on completing it, it should be a cakewalk.Ā 
Ā 

Just reminded me, bastard Mercenaries mode can get fucked! 1 achievement off the full set due to that.Ā 

20 hours ago, mfnick said:

Just reminded me, bastard Mercenaries mode can get fucked! 1 achievement off the full set due to that.Ā 

Ā 

Same deal with me, I tried Mercenaries for about 3 hours and gave up on getting the Plat after that. Had all the other trophies.

I've made a start, had to make do with the infinite ammo Grenade launcher for the beginning... the siege segment went without a hitch, just triggered it and the ran back the barn with the stairs and shot anything with teeth.

Ā 

Getting to Luiza's house shows just what to expect though, armoured Lycans straight from the get go that take about 8 Grenade rounds to put down... I need that Stake pronto.

Ā 

I think the game has glitched in regards to the files too... I've checked a list and have them all but the challenges screen still has me at 46/47.... bastard.

4 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I think you'll be fine with the Infinite Grenade Launcher until you hit the factory then you really need a fully upgraded STAKE.

Ā 

Turns out I had enough to buy and fully upgrade the the STAKE at my first encounter with the merchant after I sold all of the weapons I had in my inventory... so now I'm rolling the Infinite ammo STAKE, Infinite ammo Grenade launcher and Infinite ammo Dragoon... that should do the job. I left off last night just starting my way up to House Beneviento. By all accounts it's the Heisenberg boss fight and Chris's segment that's worrying me the most.

Ā 

And happily I got my Bookworm achievement last night too, so I'd either missed a file or I needed to reread it to have it register... either way I'm happy.

Heisenberg down, think I got him on my fourth attempt so wasn't too bad... seems like it's a case of holding off with the rockets until he tries to rush you and using them as a means to push him back... that and being fairly accurate with the chain gun.

Ā 

Should (hopefully) get this clocked tomorrow now.

Speaking of Village of Shadows difficulty this guy does it on a brand new game, no infinite anything, no glitches and clocks it in about 2 hours

Ā 

I really like this game. I think I need to go back and see if I can get all the achievements for myself tooĀ