passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

DisturbedSwan

I think I've warmed up to this. Went to the Aerie yesterday (great locale) and stopped my session in the harbour village which doesn't quite fit the overall tone and aesthetic of everything else I've seen so far, which is an interesting choice. I guess it's a bit weird the main character has never been to these places when they're just a 5 minute walk away but that's JRPG logic for you.

Anyway, I'll stop posting here for a while because I don't want to dissect every hour or two I play, but I just wanted to get this out there so dwarf can sleep again.

I'm about 15 hours into this now. 

Mostly been doing a bunch of side quests really. I know it's not really recommended but I've been enjoying them, the whole arc with the Lighthouse Lady in Seafront was really cool and the Missing Girl and Little Warrior quests in Facade had nice little stories to them as well. Obviously the Fragile Delivery ones suck but I haven't had much trouble with them up until the Third (unlocking the fast travel points in the Desert definitely helps with this one). 

Story wise

Spoiler

I beat the boss in the Junk Heap (who wasn't any trouble at all) and found who I was looking for down in the dungeon - the conclusion to which wasn't exactly a walk in the park to see unfold. Went back to the Aerie after this to end up fighting the same Boss I encountered on my last rendezvous with Kaine (encountering her again in the process), there was a real sadness in this enemy and the way it was defeated, just felt really wrong. Kaine joined my party which is cool and after a bit more dossing about I eventually made my way to a new area - Facade - by ways of the Desert. 

Facade is a really interesting place and probably the place I've enjoyed spending time the most thus far. The people there with all their rules and (initially daunting) masks are just a bit bizarre - but then you think how many rules (i.e. laws, amendments, constitutions etc.) we have in Modern Society and it isn't that crazy to have 100,000+ rules - but learning their ways through the wonderful Fyra as she takes you on a tour of the town is a real delight. Gradually learning all their customs, some of their rules, why they wear their masks all the time and how to traverse the town itself. You're then tasked with hunting down the missing Prince in a nearby dungeon, you make your way through a few cool box puzzles, fight a boss and eventually rescue the Prince, who then becomes the King. Spent a lot of time here just exploring, doing all the side quests I could find and picked up a few of the weapons from the local vendor. Loved every second of it.

I went back to Yonah after this, spent a day with her and it looks like the next place we're off to is the Forest of Myth thanks to a weird Dream sequence that somehow we both had simultaneously.

The more I play of this the more I like it, I hadn't really thought about it before but the structure is actually really similar to Zelda, the little village being reminiscent of Kakariko Village in the Zelda games and the different areas very much reminding me a lot of Hyrule Field and the different areas of something like Ocarina of Time. Really looking forward to my next session with it when I get the time.

Yea, I was listening to an interesting pod on it yday and one dude called Nier a sort of pastiche on the history of games, which I guess it is. Like it's extremely generic in a very knowing way which makes more sense the further you get through, or in your case you already know cause you've seen the LP on it.

The section you're headed to is my favourite in the game, but also it's a lot of people's least favourite. 

I did not even know that there was a whole series of fragile delivery quests, I never even completed the first in either playthroughs. That sounds like some sucky shit, I hope Nag does it cause of trophy hoarding compulsion

Im not reading too much in here to try and avoid spoilers, but just wondering about this - i guess this is a multiple ending thing, is there a certain point i need to make a save to get different endings? Or do you have to play through it multiple times? Ill probably try and finish it once on my own then look at a guide for how to get the best/proper ending or whatever.

I'm not gonna get too spoilery about it, I'll just say there's not a whole lot in that particular ending that warrants spending hours unlocking both C and D. I'm not overstating the repetition involved and how much it can sour you on the experience. You can youtube it if you don't require completionism. I unlocked it in the first game and didn't bother this time, it's just not worth it imo

Ending E is entirely new and it is incredibly elaborate though, it was very surprising.

yeah, my understanding is you replay, 2nd run through starts midway through, same for the next. After that I suppose I'll look at a guide if I feel like sticking with it.

As it stands I've done got the fish for medicine, done a few side quests between the village and the waterfront, so tomorrow I'll either move things on story wise or go hunting for mouse and lizard tails

I'm going for all endings myself (A, B, C, D and E). From the Guide mentioned below you can reload a save after seeing Ending C, choose a different option and then get Ending D. Ending E you start off fresh from the beginning of the game it seems. 

There's a great Spoiler-Free Endings and Weapons Guide on GameSpot that I found. I think I've already picked up all the purchasable weapons in Part 1 so I just need a couple of the story ones and a couple from side quests. 

Will be going for the Plat if there isn't anything too annoying in the Trophy List, I think the growing plants one could be a stumbling block. I don't want to look at the full list for fear of spoilers though. 

36 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

One of the trophies requires you to beat the first half of the game in under 15 hours so you're probably stuffed for that one

Also aren't you... already spoiled on this lol

Oh shit, well maybe not then lol.

I've forgotten almost all of it to be honest, I remember the big thing (I think), the odd location and story beat but by and large I don't really remember much. It's possible more comes back to me in Part 2 or on my second/third runs. Might sound silly but I don't want to re-spoil it for myself if I don't remember it, if that makes sense at all lol.

It's interesting that despite this being a cult classic and coming up regularly over the years there's only two spoilers I couldn't avoid and I'm not even sure if they're major. They certainly don't feel like it.

Spoiler

Kainé having a peepee and the game deleting your save after you've unlocked everything.

The latter would obviously have been a great shock on the meta level if I didn't know about it but then again I doubt I'll do all the necessary stuff for it to happen anyway.

Not that this is hard to do or anything, or that the enemies require much effort. But a testament to how improved the fighting is since Gestalt

I much prefer the combat in this to Automata, which I thought felt fairly airy. This feels like it allows you to do more fun stuff and doesn't shy away from the broken powers side of things either. If you quickly press the Dark Execution button also you get a nice cone AOE version which is cool for launching groups of shades quickly.

On 29/04/2021 at 12:24, DisturbedSwan said:

There's a great Spoiler-Free Endings and Weapons Guide on GameSpot that I found. I think I've already picked up all the purchasable weapons in Part 1 so I just need a couple of the story ones and a couple from side quests. 

Thanks again for the tips on getting the different endings guys. I was just doing the main quests to get through it, near the end of the first run through, but then thought i should get all the weapons, done most of the stuff for that now and it wasnt too bad, still got a few more to get but know where they are, or at least where theyre supposed to be. So then finished the first ending and started again. Still not really sure what to make of it, quite enjoying it most of the time, but some bits can be boring and it could do with fast travel.

No worries @spatular ?, I’m using the same guides myself. 

Just over 22 hours into this now, unfortunately didn't get as much time to play as I would've liked over the long weekend. 

Finally reached the end of Part 1 and have made a start on Part 2. 

Spoiler

First stop was the Forest of Myth. One of my favourite areas in the game for sure, I just love how this game constantly compounds your expectations, you go to the Aerie early on and expect it to be quite chirpy and cheerful like your village is but it's completely different, cold, dark and unwelcoming. You again expect that from the Forest of Myth and instead you have to go through a series of text adventure riddles to save the town's residents. Truly unique and kind of genius I think. I did alright with the first couple of riddles but the one where you have to escape a Castle I struggled with a lot and had to look up the solution as I kept getting stuck and 'dying' inside the Dream. 

Next Yonah gets a mysterious letter from a young boy called Emil. So I made my way to his mansion (I had already scoped the place out much earlier but obviously couldn't get in) and was welcomed by his Butler. Once inside the camera shifts to a fixed angle and it all became a bit survival horror for awhile (which was cool) whilst I found a number of keys, another nice change of pace. 

After this shit hits the fan with a boss fight inside Emil's Mansion before suddenly being forced to defend the Village from shades. Grimoire Noir reveals himself alongside the Shadowlord, (who looks suspiciously like our protagonist) and another boss fight ensues where you have to save the village alongside your comrades. Kaine goes all Han Solo and gets herself petrified to seal away a powerful shade. And that was the end of Part 1. 

After the 5 year time skip the Protagonist is now noticeably older and looks much more badass, with a deeper voice to boot. Immediately I make my way back to Emil's mansion and discover a secret underground laboratory (that feels a bit Umbrella-esque), this time the game shifts to an isometric CRPG-style camera perspective which is another nice little change. Another boss fight ensues, once that is done Emil is transformed into an amalgamation of himself and this 'number 6' creature. I brief jaunt back to the village and I'll pick it up from there when I next have time to play. I think the next time I head on I'll just focus on side quests again to get some money for the remaining weapons I need and to pick up another couple from the quests themselves, ideally I want to have as much as I possibly can by the end of this first run.

In addition to the story events above I've also been doing a few side quests still and have also been doing a bit of gardening, buying the seeds required to eventually get a Lunar Tear (had to follow a guide for this). I think I've almost abandoned the idea of getting the Plat though, upgrading all 33 weapons sounds like a complete ball ache. 

It's interesting that I haven't really remembered much of Part 1 at all but as soon as I saw that creature at the end of the Laboratory section in Part 2 the memory kicked in and I remembered exactly what was going to happen next. It makes me wonder whether I skipped Part 1 entirely in my YT watch years ago as not much really happens until the finale. 

That Part 1 finale was gripping stuff though and seeing those same story threads get picked up immediately in Part 2 was really cool to see. Can't wait to get back to it now, although a bit of grinding for materials needs to be done for a weapon or two now I think. 

Pics:

E2C5AAC4-2311-494A-B17C-E01C5893D19A.jpeg

04F2FA3A-6F62-4B12-BB85-24ADAA2F8164.jpeg

3BEFAB3B-2525-4790-AA74-8027EA7D8223.jpeg

Spoiler

E8ACFBF5-E234-4280-81D5-895C4A33719D.jpegDB1FCC82-7602-4CAA-B7DC-B977AD1F2E6C.jpegE2661628-272F-4643-8A15-3950BFC21343.jpegBCEFA652-FF7D-4AAD-AACC-79CF54DE6C5D.jpeg528EF26F-B992-4F84-83BF-FBBF77D21EE4.jpeg

I’m trying to grow one myself at the moment, going to take awhile I think.

Put a bunch more hours into this since my last post, now just over 30 hours in. Got most of the weapons needed to eventually unlock Ending C, think I need one more from a side quest in Facade, 2 to purchase from a shop, 2 more from exploration and that’s about it. The others I’ll get given through the story and another 3 I’ll get from the DLC challenge arenas. Wanted to get all I possibly could in the first run. 

Don’t think I’ve got much longer to go now, I’ve been to every area again and beaten a boss, I’m now in Facade where I presume I’ll go through a dungeon and face another boss. 

The whole bit in the Aerie in Part 2

Spoiler

just left me shell shocked, just so incredibly sad. When you get control back and they place the camera so you can’t see the town, you then turn the camera around and the whole town has vanished is just a really ‘I did that ?’ kind of moment, all these innocent people just collateral damage in Emil’s ‘episode’.

The further I get in the harder I find it to kill Shades as well, felt pretty bad killing the robot shade in the Junk Heap. You can see the protagonist slowly getting more bloodthirsty as the game goes on and it makes me feel uneasy at times. 

What an amazing game.