passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Subnautica

shinymcshine

The good news - my scheme worked, and this time I dipped out of the sub in my Prawn Suit (at 1200m) drilled 7 pieces of kyanite and got back in the sub before destroying the suit.

Bad news - I can't upgrade the suit without taking the Lv 1 module out, and can't remove modules when Prawn Suit is docked in the Cyclops (which is a bit daft), and I don't want to risk taking out the 900m (Lv 1 module) out at 1200m which would leave the suit on its 500m basic. So I guess I need to go back to shallower water.

More Bad news - another amazing design feature at these depths are lava leeches that drain the energy from your sub - so you have to swim around and hack them off on a frequent basis, which is a pain.

More steady progress, and I now feel that I'm at the point where I'm ready to make a push to the endgame.

I've maxed out the depth upgrades on Cyclops and Prawn Suit, and have several power cells spare should I run short on energy. I've got the Cyclops Shield, which should repel the lava leeches, and know where to get the material to create the Thermal Power unit (so sub recharges itself in warm water). My sub is rammed full of crafting materials, so just the few remaining exotic ones, unique to the final areas, that I need for the final upgrades. 

Just hope that there's no more nasty "surprises" in the final few areas, regarding large monster attacks - but maybe the shield should help

Spoiler

I've already encountered a Sea Dragon Leviathan - huge fire breathing thing that was, but managed to survive and escape.

I just need to find a cure for my infection, and the blueprints for the ion power cells, and I'll be ready to leave the planet for home.

Well on the way to the end game, I've now got the Cyclops thermal reactor, so sub batteries charge when exploring current, lava zone.

I found the Alien Thermal Plant, found the ion cell blueprints, a necessary stage to progress to escape the island, and noting it gave a pop up trophy that just 5.7% have got, I'm assuming that the completion rate for this game is pretty low !

I tried a bit of Prawn Suit does Spiderman in order to drill for Ion Cubes in the Lava Lakes (the suit has a small amount of vertical propulsion, and I've make a grappling hook arm, so it was boost and pull my way there, to an area I'd previously swam to). Thankfully it was a successful endeavour.

I've now descended to the deepest area I've been to, 1400m down, and the endgame has all gone a bit "Fahrenheit" (albeit a bit less jarring).

Think I'll be all done in a few more hours.

End game wrapped, infection cured, and Neptune rocket completed, so blasted off into the beyond (well, the end credits).

Clocked in at 68 hrs, from the data on my last save file, and I pretty much enjoyed the majority of it (although the use of offline maps for the last few areas made things less frustrating, in terms of navigating the big Cyclops around tight areas).

I enjoyed the free exploration, the way the crafting felt like it organically developed, and in the main, the lack of combat (there's a few offensive creatures, but it's more a case of avoid than attack).

Looking at the Trophies, I'm only a egg hatching short of 100%, so perhaps I'll go back and do that......

And that's a wrap !

Not really one for collecting Trophies (it's actually my 1st on PS4, the only other game I 100%'d was SOMA but there's no Platinum for that one), but no and I'm surprised that it gave me 100% without playing in Survival mode.

IMG_20210501_061317891~2.jpg

• 11 months later...

Nag, I bumped a thread that isn't Guilty Gear Strive just for you

It's been on my list for a while. I see sly reflex playing it a bit. But I'm finding it a bit of a hard nut to crack, at first it was a lot of drifting around cracking rocks and dodging an absolute cunt of a fish that screams at you and explodes in your face which causes me to alt f4 the first few times cause it pissed me off.

But I got way more into it tonight and built a literal 'pipeline' down about 100m sea level, spent a good bit of time carefully exploring with a breadcrumb trail of beacons and dodging asshole dinosaur looking things . Now I am starting to crack the base building mechanics a bit, where I am building a right shit base right near some horrible monsters which I am guessing is not technically the kind of thing you should be doing. There is a hull integrity mechanic and I don't know what it means yet, but I bet it means I shouldn't be building my base near to a fish dinosaur. But I'm not really looking for any advice here either, just trying to figure stuff out. So far it does sort of feel like No Mans Sky except a bit more purposeful maybe but it's very early to say. But I think I'm getting into it

The idea here is that this will be my first Steam Deck game and I can go between desktop and steam deck, I hope it runs decent on deck.

Yeah, I am playing as well. On stream.

BIG SPOIILERS

Spoiler

I went into the lava zone tonight from the lost river, which was planned, but I really fucked up big style with underestimating the challenges I would face due to going in blind.

First of all I hate piloting the Cyclops, it's fucking rubbish. It's so clumsy with no good reason.

Anyway I went down the big hole with few problems, then went around the lava zone before getting fucked seven ways from Sunday. I was losing my battery power to leeches and lost. Eventually someone from chat gave me some advise to escape through the western side which allowed me to get out of the shit show I'd gotten myself into. I got right out and into the lost river again and limped back to base until I finally went over the hole I went down, upon which point I was jumped on my a leviathan which pushed my shit well and truly in.

I managed to get away from the attack, but I was heavily on fire and taking on water through several hull breeches. Some quick thinking and panic spot repairs saw me get everything under control and limp the rest of the way home, where I regrouped and decided on a different plan. Because there's no fucking way I'm going to mainline my way down there in the Cyclops. I'll be attempting a prawn run next time, I've outfitted everything and I'm ready to go.

On the upside, I got a pet fish that likes to high five me.

So what is the deal then with bases and framerate? I'm seeing that apparently the game constantly keeps in memory the size of your bases and certain terrain can have bad interaction with more complex setups.

that's kinda a bummer. I wonder why it does this, reminds me how Outer Wilds would have drops cause it's calculating the state of planets on the other side of the solar system, so I guess there must be a similar reason

Anyway I got a 

Spoiler

grav trap, which sucks fishies into its orbit so I dont have to catch them, I just walk out the base and there's my dinner 🍽️ 🐟

My base is near to the surface and has a solar panel, there's later blueprints for nuclear reactors so I'm guessing that's for bases 100s of metres below sea level

Can I give you a bit of advice?

Spoiler

Try and keep all the metals and stuff you find and when it gets too much, reform them into things you can see in the recipe board so you have them in future. There's so many times I've left stuff on the ground because I didn't think I'd need it, only to need it.

Also read your scans. There's a lot of shit you don't need to pick up, but the stuff you can use to craft further down the line will tell you. I fell into this trap because there's 2 mushrooms that look very similar, but are used to two types of things.

Hard to know what to put in this update cause I feel I'm on the verge of something more interesting, I've just hit through a plateau I think where I have trebled the possibility space for myself in terms of how deep I can descend. 

There's one really frustrating thing about this game I think they need to fix in Subnautica 3, I hate the way blueprints work here. These aren't spoilers so I wont put them in hidden text, but you have to scour the sea bed for bits of old wreckage to scan for stuff to build. But if you miss a certain section you might be unlucky and miss out on the thing which is literally gatekeeping you from going deeper. I think they put more than enough of the bits to get the blueprints, but you can still easily miss this stuff I think and I think partly it's cause they distribute it around based on how deep you are. So around 100m you will get the stuff you need for 300, but maybe you are already exploring 300 and missed out some stuff from 200 which is needed to go even further. So a bit of a toss that part is.

In games like Phantom Pain you have a science squad that's constantly researching stuff, and other games do similar. I dunno I think that's a better approach than needle in a haystack, maybe they just need to make some stuff more common and easy to find

Other than that I think it's really good but I'm looking for it to throw some curveballs my way, where I am is

Spoiler

I just finally found the fragment which lets me build a modification station and enhanced my ship thing to go from 300 to 900m depth, but all the stuff at around 500+ metres down is scary evil shit that eats me and can eat my ship up with all my progress, so I dont want that. In the meantime my base is filtering water for me and I have all the necessary components to build a nuclear reactor. On top of that I found some spots around 500m down which seem to possibly be near supplies which I could use to build a more fully featured base at this level. So this area is my candidate for base 2 and where I will begin scouting the more dark and scary parts of the sea. I saved the reactor parts for this reason.

I'm not sure if I should be carrying these propulsion and gravity guns around with me. I've literally never used them so because things are more dangerous at this level I'm going to put one or two of them in my seamoth storage and see what they do, but I reckon they will be shite. I crafted tons of torpedos and they are very shite.

Also I found limmy's time capsule and it had a fin which charges my batteries, which trivialises things a bit but tbh I dont want to waste anymore time chopping mushrooms so I'll take it

So that's Subnautica put to bed. If you've not played it, you really should. It's grand. ALL SPOILERS.

Spoiler

I think the way this game is designed is pretty good, aside from a lot of travelling back and forth trying to wiggle your way into the game because you can't find where you should be going. There's a lot of "I wish I had known before" especially when it comes to collecting certain things and building bases in specific locations.

The way the game is structured is always evolving as well.

You start out just trying to get food and drink, then it evolves to you end up going further afield on search and rescue sorties.

Then you start gaining bits of tech that opens it into a bit of a metroidvania.

Then it starts with being vague about what you need to do and mission pointers are just general directions that may have a picture attached.

Once the radio goes dead you're just left to it, you're dropped in a info dump where anything you can read is going to give you clues to where you should be going.

When you put all the pieces together and know what your goal is, but are left to explore a deeper and more dangerous area than you're really ready to cope for, but it has this weird way of when you go back to an area you previously thought dangerous, suddenly you feel at ease with it all

I can't really fault it, outside of a few bugs that made some stuff a bit fucky to use. The Cyclops is a pain in the dick as well, I hated this part of the game, it's just not very well thought out. The Prawn was glitchy as hell inside the final rooms of the game. 

I have to say as well, once you get set up the food and drink part of it doesn't really feel all that bad, the way the game sort of shifts through what it expects of you and changes he goalposts to be more lenient or harsher dependant on where you are is rather good. It knows by these milestones in the game you're going to be fed up of doing those things so tries to make them as uninstructive as possible. It untethers you from being stuck near base doing all the menial shite without completely binning it, meaning that you still have to prep and keep an eye on it, but it's not as life threatening as before.

I really like the overarching story here as well. It twists and turns without it getting too complex to follow but without being too far fetched with the multiple threads weaving around each other gently nudging you towards actions you should take and also forming a complete picture.

In short, I really liked it. It's stunningly beautiful as well, the atmosphere is off the charts. Each part of the map is so memorable I won't forget it in a hurry.