passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Legends: Arceus

DisturbedSwan

Looks like a BotW-style reimagining. Could turn out well or bomb hard, difficult t say at this moment.

But come on, they really need to give those guys more time and resources for their games. I always though the criticism about S&S graphics were blown out of proportion but this one's legitimately ugly.

• 2 months later...

So they showed off a super rough and borderline ugly trailer for this pre-Covid and a year later it's supposed to be done? Yeah, I don't believe it. This will feel even more rushed than S&S.

The cover artworks is great though. I guess at least somebody involved with this project got enough time to finish his/her work.

• 2 months later...

Still somehow manages to look worse than Oblivion (which, as a reminder, is 15 years old) but outside of the technical shortcomings I think this looks really promising. The muted colour plaette gives it this more feudal feel they're going for, the overall art direction, including the new Pokémon they showed, is more grounded and not "serious" per se, but less over-the-top anime like before and goes back a bit to the style of the artworks for Red/Blue. Pokédex, Map and menus all look really nice as well, it's really a stylistically accomplished game, which is probably why the low-fi visuals stand out even more.

Combat seems to adopt CTB from FFX with turn order not being A-B-A-B anymore and instead opting for a more fluent approach that switches around atack order depending on the moves you choose. Which is really interesting IMO and the fact that the overall presentation of the fights is still the same as before, but right there "in" the world instead of taking place in a separate screen, makes everything feels less disjointed.

Really intrigued by this now. I just wish they gave these guys more time and money, there's zero reason why this shouldn't at least look like BotW.

DAMN MAN

The game doesn't look great artistically, the world looks a bit bland. BotW had the same technical limitations but they made their world feel alive so it's a shame this game doesn't look like it's on that level. 

But everything else is looking amazing. Different styles to attacks, Pokemon react differently in the wild, you can run up to a Pokemon and throw a fucking Pokeball at it and it works? Muthafucka. And it's only 6 months away? Double muthafucka. You can fly and ride Pokemon around and find other Pokemon and shit. You can just throw a fucking Pokeball out to make your Pokemon come out and shit? You can fucking jump off ledges and grab on to flying Pokemon and shit?! God damn. 

You see that Growlithe? Is it like a fire and rock type? That's terrible typing but I want one. I want a Arcanine man. I want to run around a Pokemon world riding my Arcanine like I'm Pokemon Tarzan taming the Pokemon wilds.

DAMN MAN

My only other complaint is the starters. Cyndaquil is cool, Rowlett is cool, Oshawatt far less cool. But give me a fucking Pikachu. I want a run around a Pokemon world with a Pikachu! 

No I take it back when they do a sequel and it's in modern times (in the Pokemon timeline) I want to run around with a Pikachu what do I want in this? I don't care I take anything. 

Can you imagine what it will be like when you get to late game areas and you're in a specific place near a lake and you see a Dragonite! Then you get to chase it down and fight it and catch it?! Or if you're weak and far away from a camp and you run in to a Metagross or something. 

Damn man. 

Can you imagine you get go around at night time with a ghost Pokemon to protect you as you get to investigate some dark ruins and stuff. 

Damn. This game is going to be nowhere as good or as involved as I want it to be but they're finally making a start down this path. 

Gwaahhhh. Fuck other video games I just want this one. 

Looks fucking amazing, obviously not graphically but that world looks super fun and cool to explore, day fucking 1. 

Always been hyped as hell for this and that trailer ramped it up to 11, I'd say it was arguably as good as the 'peek behind the curtain' BOTW trailer back in the day when you saw the world for the first time, bloody great that.

Random Pokemon thoughts. The beginning of this post has nothing to do with the end of this post. 

I wonder if the main progression in this game is to just complete the Pokédex/research notes. There seems to be no type of big battles like gyms or leagues. The red eyed Pokemon are probably boss fights. Maybe in this game it’s just to research Pokemon, catch the bosses and play through the story.

Which I’m down for. Sounds great. But I would also like if there were gym analogues, a league to win, towns to visit, side quests to complete. 

Maybe it’s in the game except it all springs from one town. So NPC’s will have different side quests.

I also noticed on the map there are different zones. I wonder how they gate the map. I don’t know if I want to be able to go everywhere at once but only sightsee if I go to a higher level area too quick, or the story to gate access to the different zones, or the game scales to match me and only certain Pokemon appear after certain criteria have been met.

I think in this case I would prefer the story to lock the zones out until I’m ready. Let me progress naturally instead of see Pokemon I can’t catch yet or to have to repeat exploration because new Pokemon have appeared. Even if they have arbitrary reasons for locking zones out.

As much as I like the setting for this game I do wish it was more of a ‘modern’ period. I want everything this game is offering, but I also want Pokemon Centres, cities to go too, throw real Pokeballs instead of what they’re using in this game.

I hope they find ways to make the exploration involved as well. The magic to BotW is the stories that generate from exploring. This Pokemon game though looks a little static or throw back. Like you can only interact with the game world in limited and predetermined ways unlike Zelda when you can basically do whatever you want wherever it can be done. 

I don’t just want to walk through forests and catch Pokemon, I want to ride a climbing Pokemon up in the trees to find new habitats. I want to use fire Pokemon to melt ice barriers to find new areas. I want to use electric Pokemon as a light to explore through caves. But for me to be able to choose to do these things whenever I want.

Like in BotW where you have the tablet that can give Link powers to play around with. I want to be able to do that but my ‘powers’ are determined by what Pokemon are currently in my team, and I can switch them out for new ones at certain locations, etc. 

I dunno. I want the game that this is but I think I also want the game beyond it. I want to be able to come on the forum and talk about this amazing, unpredictable set of sequences that happened like in BotW. Except with Pokemon instead. 

Even if this game is 20% of what I want it to be I think I will be really happy with it. But I can already see a game that I doubt this will be that I want even more. 

Also what happens if you use a fish Pokemon on land? Will it magically fly like other games or will they do the right thing and say no dickhead fish Pokemon go in the water. They should absolutely have this rule. Water Pokemon outnumber every other type of Pokemon anyway. Create a divide in them where some can be used in the water and some are better on land. That would be great. 

But then how do you use land Pokemon in the water? Otherwise it’s just water types vs water types and that sounds hard. Hmm, conundrum.

Will be interesting to see how the structure of its campaign will look like. The whole enraged Pokémon thing is 1:1 what Monster Hunters Stories 1 & 2 have been doing and it worked just fine there, so maybe you're just trying to get to the bottom of this phenomenon in this game and Arceus has something to do with it. Alongside you fill up the Pokédex, as ever. 

There's definitely enough potential to shake things up a bit but also not too much. It's a good concept and direction, I just hope it all works out in the end because this looks like a 4-year development cycle type of game, not 2 years.

Disagree strongly with the setting btw., I think this is perfect to try out this new direction and by extension it also broadens the entire Pokémon universe by giving the lore some proper history. It also gives off more calm and subdued vibes which you couldn't really do with big bustling cities and cars and roads and a Stadium here and there.

I think you can do calm and subdued in between the locations. So have 2 or 3 big cities, a few small towns/villages dotted around the place, and in between is just nature. Which is what Pokemon is all about, but contrasted with busy areas I think would only add to that feeling. 

I was looking at the trailer again and actually I think this is my favourite shot from the trailer 

pokmon-legends-arceus-pokemon-party-1-41

I hope this isn't a cutscene or some kind of BS. I want to play a game where you get to sit down and chill with all your Pokemon by the sea. That looks amazing! I like the mixture of baby and fully evolved Pokemon too. That's how I like to have my in-game teams. 

Professor Oak-armed dwarf has entered chat 

I say Gyarados can fight outside of the water. It can't fly in the sky like a Pidgeot but it definitely flies. It also learns the move Bounce which is close enough? 

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

However, Gyarados can't actually learn fly. Which makes him an exception among flying types also

He could in Red and Blue. Edit: or maybe the red one in Gold/Silver. I do remember having a flying Gyarados in Pokémon Stadium and it looked dumb.

There's no reason for his typing though, Gyarados should either be in the water or sit on the ground. This floating thing is probably just a workaround they implemented for every fish-type Pokémon because they couldn't figure out another way.

But Gyarados has to be inspired by Chinese style dragons, right? The flying part makes sense. If anything why is he water type. Probably because he is blue. And evolves from a fish. 

That new Pokemon Basculegion or something looks like it only works in the water. What if you want to battle with it on land, does the game stop you? It should. That would be cool.