passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Outriders

Whiskey_chaser

So, the demo is out and me and a few friends played through the entire thing last night, including replaying a few missions on a higher world tier.

Initially there were a few hiccups with connection, but after half an hour we all managed to get in. Character creation is a basic as it gets but the random name generator threw up a few good ones, I went for Everard, as he looked like an England thug.

It's kind of janky looking, like early PS4 game graphics scrubbed up to 4k, but it ran smoothly enough. The story is proper sci-fi trash. It's like a 14 year old played the latest Kojima game and decided to write sci-fi. That being said, it was enjoyable trash though most of the time we were laughing at it, rather than with it.

Gameplay wise, the gunplay was light and didn't have much punch to it and the cover system has a few issues it needs to address, but the fun came with the abilities. I went for pyro class, so the main stick for me was that anything I hit with a special attack got marked, and if I killed a marked enemy I got health back. Each other characters has a different take on this - the tank got health if he did damage close up. It was stilly early loot game but towards the end we already had a couple of bits of blue gear (seems to follow the standard loot colour system) that switched things up. I had a gun that let me trigger my L1 ability twice before cool down instead of once and another that increased my explosion sizes 25%.

With the aggressive play style they force you into, combat was frantic and great fun. It felt more Diablo than Destiny, with a lot of enemies on screen at once.

Another nice twist on difficulty is that a higher world tier (difficulty) gives enemies different attacks.

So yeah, it's not going to set the world on fire, and hopefully they can squash a few bugs before launch, but we all played it for five hours last night and would have happily kept going if the game would have let us.

I haven't quite finished the demo yet and only played it alone because I have no friends but it seems rather decent indeed. Gameplay feels very low-budget Gears with a bit of Destiny sprinkled in – except of course for the onslaught of enemies that hit hard and fall quickly which indeed makes the Diablo comparison not as far-fetched as it might seem. Like probably everyone else I also picked the Pyromancer but I could myself giving most of the classes a shot with the exception of tank which sounds super boring from the description (correct me on that if I'm wrong).

the beginning was surprisingly slow-paced and didn't see the early story twist coming, at least not in the way it happened. Was fun enough but I doubt the game will motivate me to read through its endless pieces of lore written in white on black in tiny text (or small rather than tiny of you increase the font size in the options).

Technically it could run a bit better on base Xbox but it's solid enough to not suffer from it. Haven't played long enough to find any noteworthy loot but I'll go back to it later today to finish the demo.

I think it's a cool little B-league game. Might pick it up at some point.

Started the demo last night. 

My expectations going in were super low, but thought I’d give it a try. It actually managed to surprise me a little, it’s a bit better than I thought it was to be fair. 

I think the nicest surprise was how good the story was at the start and the twist I didn’t see coming at all. The main character can be quite cool in a nonchalant Geralt from Witcher 3 kinda way as well, she isn’t just a blank slate like I thought she’d be. I like that there’s cutscenes and RPG-like conversations you have too, it feels a bit more fleshed out than a Destiny or something. 

As soon as I got into the game proper it reminded me of some kind of alternate futuristic WW1, compared to the opening everything suddenly went very brown and dull in terms of visuals, but I dug the setup, it’s a bit different and it’s cool to be in this kind of world. As you explore the base it really reinforces the feeling that your back is up against the wall as humanity and teetering on the edge. The game really does sell what a very desperate situation you find yourself in. 

I enjoy exploring the base, it feels a bit like a more down to earth, more downtrodden Tower from Destiny mixed with a bit of Anthem’s base (whatever that was called) but obviously the combat is the most important thing in the game.

The combat is good, it’s unashamedly Gears but feels a little less satisfying when you shotgun people, it is still satisfying seeing their heads blown off and blown being strewn all over the ground when you kill somebody but yeah, it’s just not as satisfying as there is some hit detection issues where I swear I killed someone with a sliver of health and they still end up standing. Weapons seem your standard sniper, shotgun, assault rifle, pistol deal so far, nothing crazy and all feel very earthy and weighty. 

The supernatural powers is where this differs though, I played as a Trickster and it’s just a lot of fun warping to an enemy across the map, shotguning them in the back and then backing off. The L1 + R1 shield ability which slows down enemies in their tracks is super useful but the best is the laser-esque L1 blade which quite literally cuts through enemies and fizzles out their skin so you can see their skeletons, Mars Attacks! Style.

I haven’t played with anyone yet but I can see that being a lot of fun. I have had a good time with it on my own though, not enough to pre-order it or anything but it has definitely caught my attention where as it wasn’t even on my radar previously.

Graphically it’s a mixed bag, the lighting and particle effects can be stunning but the textures are quite muddy, the faces and facial animations are glassy as hell and the lip syncing is very rough but it’s competent without ever really being beautiful.

7C58E6D0-0BA8-4824-B1E5-1BC191D0A43A.jpeg23B400DC-7982-47CC-9958-AF7B856A3A81.jpeg8B58DFC9-3C7B-4FF1-8FAE-85B3EC50C095.jpeg

Spoiler

785A1181-7766-43C4-9BE5-04E11C51131E.jpeg97972B34-CC8F-4981-B301-5748CC80BEB0.jpegCFE16C13-9311-413C-933C-86F3D2A2F2E9.jpeg02EB9D3E-97DE-4AC6-AD8D-9047EC205115.jpeg
15500007-78B3-4E42-8145-531B44EC178B.jpeg

DF's analysis of the demo: 

Makes me a bit jealous of these new systems as the performance on base Xbox One isn't the greatest, particularly compared to the 60fps on Series and PS5. I think in this case the framerate actually improves the overall look of the game as well as some animations just look a lot smoother for example.

Super smooth 60 on PS5, quite a few drops to 40-50 on XSX but with a slightly higher resolution. 

It impressed me way more than I thought it would, ended up finishing up everything there was to do in the demo in the end. Never did play with others though, could never find a game which was a bit weird. ?

I hadn’t heard of this game until the demo dropped. Shall try it out.

edit: no flag physics on ps5 is odd. You’d think that’d be something they’d have had to take out rather than add in later as suggested on DF.

Am I the only one disappointed that more recent games like this which are targeting last gen consoles still can’t do native 4k60 on supposedly vastly superior hardware? What gives? I know some will be down to developing specifically to a hardwares strengths but if the XSX and PS5 are as powerful as people keep saying why can’t they brute strength that more easily? 

59 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Am I the only one disappointed that more recent games like this which are targeting last gen consoles still can’t do native 4k60 on supposedly vastly superior hardware? What gives? I know some will be down to developing specifically to a hardwares strengths but if the XSX and PS5 are as powerful as people keep saying why can’t they brute strength that more easily? 

I think it was always a dream more than anything to be honest, even with the current cutting edge Graphics Cards on PC it’s very difficult to achieve without some clever reconstruction method like Nvidia’s DLSS.

As soon as we were hearing about different performance modes in next gen games around last Summer I knew the 4K60 dream was over and there’d still be a choice in most games between 4K 30 and something like 1800p 60. Something like Ray Tracing has a bigger hit on performance too meaning 4K 60 is an even more unattainable goal if that is turned on in a game. 

I think the marketing is to blame ultimately for setting unrealistic expectations, ‘True 4K’, ‘120FPS’ ‘yTF’ plastered on boxes, digital stores and splash pages on console manufacturers’ websites advertising games made people expect these consoles to brute force everything and run everything at 4K60 if not 4K 120. 

As long as current gen systems are pushing the envelope with lighting, reflections and/or Ray tracing - something eye popping and not possible on last gen - then I’m happy. I’ve mentioned them before but I go back to DeS in and Miles Morales, genuinely eye popping experiences that I couldn’t of got in that visual fidelity on last gen systems. 

12 hours ago, mfnick said:

For games exclusively made for the PS5 and XSX I could always see werent going to be 4k60. But I thought last gen/cross gen games would be at least. Apart from RTX modes anyway. 

Yeah I get you.

13 hours ago, mfnick said:

For games exclusively made for the PS5 and XSX I could always see werent going to be 4k60. But I thought last gen/cross gen games would be at least. Apart from RTX modes anyway. 

It's probably entirely possible to accomplish seeing how Gears 5 runs at 4K60 on Series XS but it will always require a certain amount of optimisation which smaller studios might not be able to do. People Can Fly isn't that big and they're building a cross-gen multiplatform game (just a reminder, that currently means 7 different specs plus PC), so I can totally see why Outriders isn't pushing every system it's launching on to its limits.

First Spider-Man on Avengers, now Outriders on Gamepass. Square Enix is just collecting that easy money.

Edit: not to mention timed exclusivity deals all around. Their shareholders must be really happy.

Anyway, whenever amazon kindly allows this game to be ordered I'll jump in as well. Demo was really fun in a very old-school B-league game kind of way.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to wait with this until I have a newer console. Those 60fps clips from DigitalFoundry kind of ruined the base Xbox version a bit for me. Plus I just started MH and there's a new Street Fighter character around the corner as well, wouldn't really have the time for this now either way.

I hope it does okay for them though, the demo was good fun.

I dunno about this.  I've played it up to Gauss where I started having a bit of trouble and while it may get better I think my immediate impression is the core gameplay is a little lacking.  It lacks some general satisfaction that Destiny gets a little taken for granted.  Time will tell if the character building and development is like but I was expecting something more immediately fun since I do generally like People Can Fly's games.