passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest X

radiofloyd

I bought the All in one pack for this way back in 2017, played it once, and assumed my free trial would be long expired but no, it’s still active, for however long. I played it for two hours today, basically to the end of the introduction to the game, which felt like it was more or less completely offline. 

Impressions so far - well the graphics show the game’s age, it was originally released in 2012 on the Wii. But the cut-scenes and close-ups are quite nice. There is no voice acting in the game but the music is nice, and already I think I’ve heard more variety than in the entirety of XI. Battles are initiated by running into enemies in the field, you can move around in battle which seems to be the biggest change, although I’ve no idea if it serves any practical purpose.

Four years ago (!) I struggled with the Japanese but I can read it more smoothly now. I have a week off with absolutely nothing to do, so I’m gonna sink some time into this. It will be my first mmorpg experience. 

F139CB55-C6C8-4C3B-8FCF-57B9F8E445D1.jpeg

2A55BA10-FBE1-4676-9968-6C237F50D6B9.jpeg

This is probably gonna just be me blogging but I’ll try to throw in a screenshot or two since it’s easy to do now.

Played for two more hours today and entered the online mode proper. The game gave me a choice of servers and I went for one for beginner and returning players. Lots of other players running around of varying levels between 1 and 100. You start a game with a default icon above your head that means “beginner” but you can change it to things like “playing solo” or “looking for party members”. I guess this is a common system in mmos?

So far I haven’t teamed up with anyone because it hasn’t been necessary. Hopefully the free trial is a decent size because I haven’t seen anything that would make me want to pay for a subscription.

Was running around in the wild and the game kicked me to a “subscribe or get fucked” screen so I decided to take a chance on it. It’s only 1000 yen for a month. Bizarrely, on the payment screen it asked me for €1,000! I wonder what what have happened if I had actually gone through with it? I changed my location to Japan and the currency changed to yen. Anyway, I’m now a paid up subscriber to the game.

At the point where the game tells you “go and explore the world” it gave me three level 28 NPC companions but I disabled them for now. So far I’ve been treating it like a single player game where I’ve been sharing the experience with everyone else running around. I’ve now reached this castle town which has a lot of cool stuff. I’ve been following the main road because all of the side areas seem to have high level monsters. I’ve been playing as a warrior class and putting my skill points into two-handed weapons and bravery. It seems to be possible to change class (and I assume revert back) but I haven’t for now.

This fairy lady gave me a diary and told me she will give me a medal for every time I talk to a character whose name is displayed in yellow...

34E29733-9907-4128-943F-2F64C98C6D17.jpeg

0B6CD94A-2D87-4B5B-A7EC-6A7168DA0012.jpeg

I got invited to join a “team” today which i gladly accepted as I haven’t really experienced the social side of the game. Which led to me painfully communicating using the Switch controller until they told me to download the official app, kind of like Discord. There’s about 240 people in the group, of varying ages, from very young to very old. But the person who invited me was the same age as me. They seem very friendly. They told me that most of them play the story solo but that they battle bosses together. Anyway, now I have 240 people who I can ask about any Japanese I don’t understand, which is useful. I think I can summon their characters as NPC party members, similar to Dragon’s Dogma. I took a screenshoot of a crowded area to show how active the game is but I forgot to send it to my phone, I’ll post it next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to this today and had a good time. It really is a solid Dragon Quest game with everything you would expect from one. I joined the blacksmith’s guild so I now I can craft weapons (which works the same as the minigame in DQXI).

The music has been a highlight of the game so far. The area I was in just now, Glen Castle, has a nice violin part in its theme music. And the story has been surprisingly good.

I’m having a blast playing this game, around 20 hours in. So far I’ve stayed on the continent I started on (the Ogre’s continent) but I think I’m about to start exploring other continents. For the last while I’ve been using the three level 28 support characters I was given at the start of the game, but my character is level 32 now so I’ll probably recruit stronger ones at the tavern soon (there is also the option to invite real people to join your party which I haven’t tried yet).

I took a few screenshots which show the game’s train (the train has its own track which you can follow) and how busy the hub areas can be. Also I took a couple of screenshots of early game bosses (you can see how I stumbled into one fight without healing first).

Edit: I tried to put the bosses in spoilers but I don’t think you can put images added from your photo library in spoilers right?

8CCF6411-A7EF-49B0-ADB3-DE901001C51B.jpeg

9F21104F-53A7-41B9-BEFD-F394BC8FD837.jpeg

285FCBD5-C2A5-468F-9C28-9415F1163634.jpeg

C36857F7-4702-497C-AA56-BFF67EC1DFE7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally boarded the train (which led to a very nice and humorous story scene) and visited my second location, which is not one of the game’s large continents but a port town that has a lot of interesting new things and quests.

Among them, a Pokemon style mini game which is quite fun, and a kind of magic dungeon that you tackle with other players to get special rewards (and a lot of experience). The hub for that is the room below which has paintings of fantasy landscapes covering its walls. I ended up doing the magic dungeon three times in a row because people kept inviting me. The third time, I was the lowest level by far so so it was a little bit difficult but they kept me alive. One guy used a rare item that unlocks a secret room where three liquid metal slimes appeared (like in the other games they give massive experience). But all of our attacks missed and we didn’t kill a single one before they escaped, I felt bad for the guy lol.

I realise that I could play this game forever but my current subscription expires on the 5th so I think I will take a break and play something else then. Very good game though, and easily worth the tenner subscription fee.

9B810414-D4BF-410A-A83D-89E3C16FD4C1.jpeg

C09B74D5-E2CF-4622-A997-5DE5F2FD3659.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Yeah it looks like it 

https://www.gamesradar.com/after-11-years-the-dragon-quest-game-that-turned-an-mmo-into-a-jrpg-cult-classic-may-finally-get-a-worldwide-release/

As Gematsu explains, Square Enix Asia uploaded trailers for the game’s release in China and Korea, but the final frame only lists PlayStation and PC as platforms. The omission of the Nintendo Switch, which the offline version originally launched on, has led to some speculation that the Big N might be on publishing duties for the game’s worldwide launch.

In fact, Nintendo published the very first Dragon Quest in North America and subsequently published several other games in the series outside of Japan, despite the games being developed in-house at Square Enix. A similar situation wouldn’t be unlikely for Dragon Quest 10 Offline, which fans have been waiting years for, although that’s all just hopeful speculation at this point.