passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty

one-armed dwarf

There's rumours or at least speculation that cdpr might just cut their losses with the game

Mainly speculation based off the cancellation of the MP title. So nothing concrete 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/04/02/it-feels-like-cdpr-could-be-cutting-its-losses-on-cyberpunk2077/?sh=46a59407a1a8

I did try and load this up and it feels like performance is worse, and given I had the settings way too high anyway it just seemed noticeably not as good as before. But maybe Id imagined it

That wouldn’t really do much to repair the damage they’ve done to their reputation. On the one hand, you can see their reasoning for it. It’s been a massive clusterfuck, though it’s hard to have sympathy when they knew damn well the PS4/Xbox versions were in no fit state, yet charged full price anyway. It’ll take significant time and resources to make this game what it should have been in the first place.

But is cutting their losses the answer? I doubt it. As whatever project they next work on, there’s no bloody way I’d buy any of their games on release. They’ve pissed their good reputation up the wall. Jacking this in and doing a new Witcher game isn’t going to be the way to fix that damage.

The thing is I don't really believe it might be possible to get that game looking like what they promised on the older machines. I just think the I/O overhead of drawing everything in Night City is asking too much beyond what's currently possible on the current version.

I think when the PS5 and Series X upgrades happen people will get a look at what PC players have been looking at the past 6 months, maybe RT settings will be 'high' and definitely not 'psycho' (which brings even a 3080 to its knees). But the game will run and perform properly at that point. But last gen HDDs and CPUs are something they didn't seem interested in speccing for, which they already kind of claimed themselves.

They should probably look at a way of making the PS5 version really good and launching just that on the PS store and cutting their losses on PS4 maybe. I know all that sounds sort of elitist but the game is very heavy

I don’t really intend to play this again on PS4. Not so much because it ran like shite, but because of how large the file size is, and the 40gb install for the new update means it’d take up a ton of storage space.

If I ever bother playing this again, and that’s a big if, it’d be when I eventually get a PS5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I booted this up for the first time in 6 months, at the start of the first mission after the tutorials. Spent a few minutes refamiliarising myself with the game and then played through the mission to the end of the first day. I’m playing on the medium preset settings and even at medium the game looks beautiful. The driving sections where you are a passenger are very impressive. Starting again from this point, I would say so far the game has made a good first impression.

I can’t comment on the PS4/Xbox One versions, but this game on PC is really, really good. Well, the opening hours are. It looks amazing. I’m not sure how this game on medium settings compares to The Witcher 3 on ultra settings (as I don’t have them running side by side) but it is at least similarly impressive. It’s a living, breathing world to get lost in.

Everything related to the main story has been very good - the characters, the conversations. I’ve only barely scratched the surface of all the gameplay systems in the game and the various things you can do, but there seems to be a good deal of depth to the game, a lot of detail. “Detailed” is the probably the word I would use to sum up the game so far.

Now to see how I feel about it after ten hours or so.

I’m really enjoying this game so far. The last few play sessions I’ve been enjoying doing side missions and odd jobs, racking up money, better gear, leveling up and improving my stats.

I like how stats work in the game. You have six core attributes (eg Body, Intelligence) which you can level up when you get attribute points, leveling up attributes brings various stat improvements each time, is necessary to unlock perks related to that attribute, and also are used to pass attribute checks.

Each of the six core attributes has two or three skills related to it (eg handguns, blades, crafting etc). These skills are leveled up by use (eg using a blade raises your blade skill).

And each skill, has an associated mini sphere grid of perks which can be unlocked using perk points, gained when you raise the skill level. So everything is interconnected - attributes, skills and perks.

There is a lot of loot in the game. I’ve constantly been getting better gear from fights and exploration. Weapons and armour can be crafted, upgraded and also disassembled for components.

Hacking is a big part of the game. Devices like security cameras and computers can be hacked into to perform various actions (these actions are called daemons and you unlock more as you play the game), and some enemies can be hacked too.

The game has some simple but helpful QOL features that speed things along. Lootable items are clearly marked with an icon, lootable corpses are marked with a cross on your minimap (I think RDR2 did the same thing) and ports that you can hack into are also marked on your minimap (you can ping a device on the network to access these  ports). 

When driving, the game has two camera views. The normal GTA style view and also an in-car style view. I much prefer the inside the car camera, there’s just something immersive about it.

The way side-missions and sidejobs are delivered is quite cool. When you drive near them, the person who gave you the job (the game calls them fixers) will call you or message you and give you the details of the job.

Anyway yeah, I hope this gives you a feel for the game. Thumbs up from me so far.

I’m around 17 hours in now, level 9. I’ve mostly been doing side-gigs but I have furthered the story too. The story missions have been excellent. I remember when I played the first Witcher game and I felt like it was a true modern day Baldur’s Gate, and I feel the same way about this. It’s very much an rpg in the spirit of those old Infinity Engine games, but with a modern coat of paint. If you were wondering if the game was more of an action game than an rpg - it isn’t. It’s a very detailed rpg.

I think if you liked the gameplay loop in Fallout 3 (fight, explore, loot) you will like this. 

Early days but I feel like this could be my third game over 100 hours on Steam. Almost at 30 hours now. I finished Act One which was excellent by itself, the main story missions are definitely up to the standard you would expect from CDPR. 

One thing I haven’t mentioned is how international the game is - everywhere you go you will hear my favourite language (Japanese) as well as characters speaking Spanish, Chinese, Russian. Anything that reminds me of the wonderful game The Last Express is a good thing.

I’m having a blast with this so far. Performance wise I can’t say how the experience compares to if I had played it at launch, but it runs perfectly on my 2015 PC now. There are visual glitches (most noticeably with corpses) but these are really insignificant in terms of the game as a whole. I would say this comfortably deserves the high metacritic rating it has on PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit I haven't read all 8 pages of this thread but regardless I'll give my brief thoughts thus far......

I bought this on PS4 on release but only started it a couple of weeks ago due to its well documented troubles.

After 25 hours or so, its only crashed twice along with a handful of minor (funny) graphical glitches (the graphics in general are a bit ropey in general imho) so its not too bad.

I am enjoying it a lot though but was disappointed with the difficulty at first - I chose Hard to start with but it was dumb like, 5 shotgun blasts to the head of an enemy didn't kill them but a few shots from their pistol would kill me, so I'm playing on Normal now and chose the Nomad route.

BTW, if a guy in a cowboy hat asks you if you want a good time, politely say no thank you and walk away ........ 

Has anyone else suffered the Delamain bug? ?

His phone avatar is always there top left of the screen just blinking at me - I cannot use the phone either.

A brief web search suggests that this is one of the oldest bugs -but yet still hasn't been fixed?! ?‍♂️  

Edit: I just carried on with the Delamain missions and it finally went.

Another two game crashes to add to the total though ?

• one-armed dwarf changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty