passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty

one-armed dwarf

Is anyone here playing the PS4 base version still? While I don't think the game is very good it's jarring to hear all this stuff about other versions apparently being so bad that they have to get taken down. I'm really curious if it's as bad as that. From what I see the issue with Sony is more they are trying to avoid having to make such an exception to their terrible refund policy cause there's definitely much worse stuff on their store than cyberpunk

Maybe if it was less hyped this wouldn't have been the outcome

edit BTW there is a bug in this game relating to game save file size apparently (gets TES flashbacks)

https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kfpwt5/psa_steampc_crossing_about_6_mb_in_your_save/

Once you get to about 6mb or above you might end up with corrupted saves. A comment in the thread suggests that they are encoding the files with very limited storage limits and people are hitting them by buying the 'auto dissamble junk' perk, so all those dildos and cans people are picking up are making their saves get too big and die.

All those rubber cocks will be forgot like tears in rain

I haven’t gone back to this pretty much since I started it. Partly because I’m hoping it plays better when the January patch hits.

But mainly, from what I’ve played thus far, it’s nothing special. The combat doesn’t feel satisfying at all. The dialogue is gibberish to the point that I don’t know what the fuck’s going on, and I’m not sure I’m that arsed to find out, frankly.

Tbh I still think the game does improve significantly after its terrible opening.

But waiting is a good idea, I might wait for the first expansion or whatever. I'm hoping for a bit more than just bug fixes and performance, this game needs a No Mans Sky uplift imo. I didn't make a hacking build just to play Fallout 3 VATS

On 26/12/2020 at 13:44, one-armed dwarf said:

Tbh I still think the game does improve significantly after its terrible opening.

I think we both can’t stress this enough. It plays like you’re on a leash for 3 hours. Everything is closed and cut off.

@one-armed dwarf Did you manage to do that one side mission right near the beginning the first time you go to your apartment building and the door at the front is jammed? Something about killing a gang leader? And I think they were on the other side of the stuck door?

I don't even remember that tbh, the only apartment sidequest I remember is the cop who was traumatised or something (who I completely ignored for a really long time, doh). Also some generic shooting gallery type ones.

Mostly my first couple hours were just walking around Night City just sort of having my mind blown by the scale and intricacy. Another reason I'd suggest leaving the game for a bit just to see it with those next gen upgrades, or even just the SSD performance boost so you don't get as much pop in.

In terms of bugs I had one where I had to rescue a woman from some sort of... thing. I'd forgot what the story was, but whenever I picked her up and took her out to the fixer he wasn't there, then when I put her down she would either teleport back inside the building or she would stand floating in the air. I abandoned that gig. Other than that it hasn't been too bad for bugs but it's probably something that crops up the more activities you do, sort of how in Bethesda games every interaction causes side effects that can cascade and fuck up the entire game.

When I do load this game up (less regular now) I'm just kind of doing a couple gigs cause it really feels like I could just beat the story in a single sitting and I'm very unsatisfied with how low level my build feels right now. They don't pace the upgrades very well, there needs to be a rethink of the economy or alternative ways to secure upgrades that reward exploration a bit more (there is a little bit of this tbf). It almost feels like the story was supposed to be twice as long or something to justify the way you acquire this stuff. People have speculated there's a bunch of story stuff with Johnny that's glossed over, or that the prologue was supposed to have more Jackie stuff.

I failed a mission in my apartment building, not sure if I said the wrong thing or I took too long to go back to it but it's very failed

I'm enjoying this a lot still. I might spend another of my days off solidly playing it then give it a break for a bit to get some other stuff ticked off

^ yeah i failed a mission there too, maybe a bug? it coincided with me accidentally running someone over so not sure if it was related to that, it was a mission for the police iirc.

been staying out of here till i'd finished it, which i have now. feelings are a bit mixed, but more positive than most is seems, the city looks amazing, enjoyed just driving around and exploring. there's a lot of missions i really liked. the stealth is pretty fun when it works. the fps combat is alright (once i'd messed round with the settings). the rpg elements are pretty streamlined. bad points for me though - didn't really like most of the main characters. there's maybe too much stuff to do, that's not really the games fault but i think i still have problems with open world stuff, think i'd have prefered a linear game with a few optional side quests. maybe if i'd just done the main story quests i'd have enjoyed/got into it more. did quite a lot of side quests, some were pretty good though.

i'm not too keen on the upgrades and skill tree stuff, it's mostly not really interesting to me. the super jump legs are cool though.

i was maybe a bit too hyped for this as it looked like a cross between witcher 3 and deus ex, two games which i really like, and there are parts where it can play a bit like deus ex, and those are the parts i enjoyed the most, but i think deus ex (and dishonoured) is more my sort of thing, more focused on doing the stuff i liked.

seems like i've been lucky playing the pc version, seen lots of bugs but nearly all were very small things, just 2 crashes in 60+ hours, and some affecting stealth, which isn't ideal. lucky the game doesn't really reward you much for stealth/non-leathal stuff.

there are a few different endings, i already went back to get some different ones, and some were pretty different so might try for one more.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting video on how difficult they found it to scale the game to base systems.

Some stuff just can't be easily scaled down like it's a graphics slider.

Basically they say that they didn't want to hold back on the game and targetted PC, then had a really tough time getting the game serviceable on consoles.

Sort of the opposite of what usually happens.

I dunno, their “we didn’t know about how bad it would be” feels like absolute bollocks. Not so long ago they were saying “The game looks good on current gen”. They knew full well that was bullshit, and deliberately restricted reviews from using footage from those formats, for that exact reason. Until it was too late. 

They’ve pissed a lot of goodwill up the wall with this fiasco. 

Will I go back to the game? Eventually. Probably. But I’m certainly in no rush to. Because it wasn’t the bugs or glitches that made me stop playing. I gave up, because I found it boring as fuck, and the combat shite. Good luck fixing that with updates.

It'll be a notable marker as to which point it returns to sale on the PS Store, since it would show some independent assessment that patches/changes have made a significant difference, and that Sony (and CDPR) are content with any further reputational damage they might suffer if the public still deem it not acceptable for sale - has there been any news on that ?

There has been a fundamental shift here with Sony and the PS Store, where previously I believe their role had been as an integration authority, to ensure that a games architecture was suitable not to cause issues with the PS operating system, whereas with Cyberpunk they subsequently took a QA stance of assessing whether it was actually suitable to be played/sold - and I wonder if/how this might change Sony's future role and relationship with other developers.

I don't think it was purely a QA thing with Sony. They were getting bombarded with refund requests and in a way to bypass that they simply decided to stop selling the game. Of course one thing leads to another but if people hadn't asked for refunds in large numbers it would still be up for sale, even at the same quality.

Isn't it still for sale on the MS Store though, and isn't the Xbox One version just as bad as the PS4?

Why did Sony follow a different route to MS, by suspending digital sales, was it purely based on the volume of digital sales and refunds (and the added confusion Sony caused by initially rejecting CDPRs publicised refunds)?

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

Isn't it still for sale on the MS Store though, and isn't the Xbox One version just as bad as the PS4?

Why did Sony follow a different route to MS, by suspending digital sales, was it purely based on the volume of digital sales and refunds (and the added confusion Sony caused by initially rejecting CDPRs publicised refunds)?

Yep, I believe it is. It has a warning attached to it though I believe.

I don’t know, I presume it might have something to do with their marketing deal with CDPR and not wanting to upset them for future potential relationships between the two companies.

• one-armed dwarf changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty