passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty

one-armed dwarf

I started playing some of this. I'm definitely going to need digital foundry to hold my hand on what settings I should be turning on, the auto detect option on the game itself recommended I max the game out but that isn't happening. I figured I would settle for 30fps but the camera motion in this is really bad, it doesn't feel good. So I'll have to tweak that. Anyway it's very janky and hard to play so far. Everyone makes a big song and dance about DLSS but it dont play well with camera movement. I guess there is a hell of a lot of detail to be reconstructing all the time.

Sometimes the game looks spectacular but sometimes I'm sort of finding it to look kind of terrible. Part of it is the game feels sort of weird. People phase into existence in front of you, cars render in front of you. Obviously there's weird shit with people t-posing but that's minor. At one time in a cutscene V was completely naked for no reason, that made me lol and makes me wonder if your model is always like that cause it's a FPS game and you can't see your tits or dick or whatever. Gameplay wise I find it hard to play and the HUD and text is such a bad clash of colours and design that I can't tell what's going on half the time or what the things I'm picking up are. This could just be the awkward teething phase but it feels kind of gross. The driving is also really swimmy.

VDCLCdI.png

I mean I'm sure it gets good as you go in but yeah it's like kind of clunky in a really strange way. These guys did make The Witcher III I suppose. It feels like someone took Euro jank and gave it all the money but kept the jank. The game throws a million things at you at once and displays a bunch of info on your HUD that's hard to keep track of. It's not a very gentle easing into the world, it sort of just throws you in and you're constantly bewildered, well I am anyway. I'm confused. There's a lot going on here but it's not so much that it's deep just that there's a fucking lot of it and I can't be arsed to read it all.

I played 3 hours of it, one of which was a big shootout. The shooting doesn't feel good, but it sounds good. Aiming is bad, there's a lot of control options to figure out so I will definitely be following whatever guide somebody puts up to fix the issues with it.

500sbQT.png

Anyway it's cyberpunk, it does the Bladerunner thing. Pris is in it, sort of. That's what people wanted, a very Bladerunner-ey game. Except this is less chin stroking and more aggressive 90s Rob Zombie in your face all the time. Feels of an era

ok0XhT0.png

This game is very hard to run, pretty much never see 60fps at the settings the game recommends for me. It's exactly the kind of game people were expecting, an absolute monster for both GPU and CPU. A new Crysis.

So do you notice shit just phasing into existence right in front of your eyes? I thought that would just be a previous gen console thing but it's on PC as well. Here was I thinking I could dodge that shit lol

In some respects the game is very technically impressive but in others it feels weirdly behind when it comes to procedurally generating stuff around you. Like GTA does it better or something.

It's also getting a really bad write up on the last gen systems. Some people are really pissed off, like they kind of hid what they are like. All reviews are based off next gen and PC I think.

IGN uploaded a clip of it running on base Xbox One, which is the weakest platform the game is available on.

They picked the desert starting area unfortunately. I think it simultaneously looks bad and not as awful as I expected. It reminds me a bit of those unoptimised PC-to-PS360 ports which were obviously very ugly compared to the real thing but still totally playable on console (Risen, Venetica etc.). I think people are overreacting as usual, if this was the only option available I wouldn't have a problem playing it like this but knowing there's a proper PS4/SX version in the works it's easy to hold off for the moment.

46 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

They picked the desert starting area unfortunately

Yea apparently that area has the gentlest performance profile

Some advice I read about the aiming

"

In your controller settings turn on advanced options. Turn your horizontal and vertical turning bonuses all the way to 0. This setting applies extra sensitivity when the stick is pushed all the way. It’s what caused it to feel sluggish and there’s no input delay with them turned off. Fees great now."

That Xbox version looks like it runs alright but it looks like it is Switch game

I got it running at 57-60fps by dropping to high and turning off volumetric clouds and some other minor stuff. I'm playing at 1080p on a GTX1080, wonder what it's doing that's so demanding? 

I brought up MSI afterburner and this is the first game I've played that has come close to saturated all cpu cores and kept gpu usage high. It's more intensive than Flight Sim (runs a bit better at least)

Obviously I've only 8 threads on my 9700k so would be cool to hear about ryzen performance cause I'm guessing that this will be a huge sell for AMD. Also apparently cascading shadows can be turned down to medium for better daytime perf

The verge are actually recommending Stadia as a good place to play it. Which might be a good shout, it's already a kind of heavy 'laggy' game and probably won't be too badly hit by being streamed. If you can manage stadia

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/10/22167303/cyberpunk-2077-ps5-console-google-stadia

Man I'm turning around on it. There's a sort of bit where shit changes after a lengthy opening and it's a really good bit of interactive story telling. After that it turns into what looks like a typical GTA game, but it's very exciting to just walk around the city. You never do that in games like this cause what's the point, but there's so much to see here which isn't accessible by car (even though at first glance it appears to just be set dressing, just pretty alleyways). They even have a stat tied to your physical ability to hijack good cars so it provides a good incentive to walk around if you're a weakling like me. I like that as an idea, also if a cop sees you jack a car they will just drop you like a sack of spuds. It fixes that stupid issue where everybody's car belongs to you basically in GTA games.

I'm hoping there is some actual interesting bespoke content in the game and it isn't purely a Ubisoft type gig. I'd have a lot of patience for a ubisoft game with this sort of world design, but probably not enough to see the whole thing through.

On combat I'm figuring things out. I've specced as a techie and it's sort of like being a biotic in Mass Effect, the combat in general feels about the same as ME tbh, or even Kotor. Which I hope means I can eventually turn this into a more strategic and maybe even turn based affair with the ram chips you can use but I've no idea how possible that is. For now I'm forced to use guns a bit.

When everything lines up it's the most technically marvelous game I've seen in the past couple years, but then and again it hiccups and destroys the illusion. Either through terrible gameplay, bad graphics or weird glitches. It's a hot mess.

In terms of performance I'm leaving it locked to 60 with drops to around 40, I'm getting used to the laggy and heavy feel. I could have it run much better than this but I really feel like I'm missing out by not having it look really good even if it means it plays kind of bad. It's not a twitch shooter or anything so it's something I can easily get over, it also makes me glad for gsync.

Because this is CDPR I was hoping that they would have the amazing ansel support that Witcher III had, where you can unlock the camera and zoom around the entire map taking screenshots at 8K. They don't have that though, possibly due to how the engine handles in loading assets. The way it defers loading in of assets is very distracting. This is on a NVME with a i7 and it's definitely noticeable. I'm not sure if it's just an engine thing or if you could bruteforce it to be more seamless. 

The performance profile is all over the place though, I thought Night City was pretty sparse until I hit a street market and the fps was bouncing between 40 and 20. I think if you turn NPC density to medium it fixes it perhaps. This game don't give a fuck

As to the last gen version I heard a french outlet did a separate review of base PS4 and gave the game a 7/20 or something, it feels a bit dishonest that all reviews are based off next gen right now. Back in the day people gave giantbomb flak for doing separate Fallout 4 reviews but it makes sense here

17 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

As to the last gen version I heard a french outlet did a separate review of base PS4 and gave the game a 7/20 or something, it feels a bit dishonest that all reviews are based off next gen right now. Back in the day people gave giantbomb flak for doing separate Fallout 4 reviews but it makes sense here

Completely agree. Said this in the News thread but if this was a Ubisoft game it would be getting ripped to pieces, likewise if it was a BioWare or Bethesda release. 

It is downright dishonest that they only sent PC codes to reviewers to massage the MC score as well. If you’ve been excited to pick this up on PS4 and XB1 (which it’s been advertised for for years) then you’re basically getting a shell of a game compared to what next-gen and PC owners get.

I’m considering getting the Stadia version as it seems like the second best version after PC. 

Corpo, but I haven't found it's affected things much. There's a couple dialogue options and that's it I think.

I'm on normal, but I was reading that apparently the systems get really good on the harder difficulties. When I figure out how the talents work I'll probably check it out, I'm still just wandering around tbh.

Looks really rough and I'm not even talking about the overall graphics but more about some of these bugs.

I feel bad for the developers. I mean it's painfully obvious that this should have been a next-gen / current-gen + PC only game that should have been delayed until spring 2021. And yet those guys had to crunch like crazy through a pandemic to get no less than 5 (!) versions of this game running for the end of the year, and that's not including compatibility with PS5 and Series X/S, despite the majority of those systems being heavily underpowered to properly do it justice. It makes me shudder. I wouldn't want my worst enemy to work for CD Project right now.

Expecting a Jimquisition at this point.

I only found out that the metacritic for the console version doesn't really exist. There is a single review for the xbox and playstation version of the game and it's a highly negative one (3.5/10)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/cyberpunk-2077

I wonder what is going on under the hood for this game, why does it max out CPUs all the time when going around. It almost feels like how Flight SIm is constantly streaming in shit, it's hugely reliant on rapid I/O and not having those next gen CPU and SSDs are really hurting the older systems in a way that turning down graphics probably wont help with

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Yeah, think I'm going let this stew for a while and pick up the inevitable game of the year addition in about 18 months time.

This truly is the way. Don't worry about being first or FOMO, this is the way to go about games now for the most. Grab the indies on release, but the big AAA bastards can wait.

Tbh I'm struggling to think of a single AAA game whos release has been bungled half as bad as this. Like right now there seems to be general doubt over whether or not the version of the game most people own is even a good game cause of the terrible embargo and review code practice. Like most of the reviews were done on a RTX 3080, only a couple 1000 of those exist in the world. It's nuts, even my own experience doesn't match what a lot of reviewers had

Most AAA stuff is nowhere near as badly handled as Cyberpunk has been. But yea, definitely wait. But it is a good game if you can brute force the problems it has with hardware, or resign yourself to having a imperfect experience. It's a truly next gen open world game and that's something to be excited about.

• one-armed dwarf changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty