passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

HDR - Gaming and Films

Snaggletooth

So after playing about with initial setup on PS5 on new TV's HDR support, seems there is no simple way to have multiple HDR profiles on PS5.

Reason being I have 2 settings on my TV Game mode and Film Mode, both obviously have different screen display Settings so when the HDR in PS5 menu is optimised for games but if want to get the best out of a film needs setting up again. Almost needs 2 settings available 1 for games and one for Films.

Certainly no reason not possible, unless its burried in settings somewhere.

• 1 year later...

re, GOTG conversation

I think when you're messing around with HDR settings in the game's own menu you dont' need to do any further twiddling with the TV settings, cause the calibration screen in the game effectively overrides them.

HDR isn't something I really care about that much though. I did use it in GOTG tho and it was something like 55 on brightness and 85 on luminance. I didn't spend much time thinking about it, except when it destroyed all the screenshots I took and put a ton of black crush in them (not present in the 'live' version)

I think I may be being understood a little... I'm actually quite happy with the hdr in GotG... I'm bemoaning the fact that it varies massively between games. Forza Horizon 5 looks fucking amazing out of the box yet you'll get something like Resident Evil 2 where it just looks bollocks no matter what you do. It needs standardising.

And gaming set up screens are still shit.😉

I think dolby vision is supposed to be that or something, it's like it uses metadata to dynamically change the picture or something

I'm talking in deliberately vague terms there cause I don't actually fully understand it tbh. I do know that when I tried dolby vision on my CX with ME Andromeda it was dim and shit looking. I also don't really think HDR will become a dominant spec in general cause it depends so much on people's screen quality, and most people have shit screens. So why bother putting in the effort on the implementation if it's going to look like shite for most of the audience? I bet this is the thinking behind it.

The only thing I’m struggling with on HDR is Xbox. I can’t find the right settings for it on a system level, even though PS5 looks great and I can transfer all the same settings to the Xbox input. So my TV is doing both inputs exactly the same, yet Xbox is not quite there. I can’t figure it out. 

I tried googling it and copying what other people are doing but it’s not working for me. Xbox One X never had this issue, it’s only with the Series X

When I first got Series X it was terrible. The blacks were getting destroyed so much they were turning in to grey squares. The first game I noticed it on was The Medium, which that game is crap so I thought maybe it’s just that, then I played other stuff and it kept happening. I’ve messed around with the console settings a lot, and it’s in a better place now. It looks better and the black issue is solved. Auto HDR is still hit and miss though. For Mirrors Edge 2 I just had to turn it off it ruined the picture 

So it’s better but still not as good as PS5 which is just sexy all the time.