passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassins Creed Valhalla

AndyKurosaki

About 115 hours in now and the end is in sight.

I’ve got 2 areas left to finish in Hampshire and Winchester and I’m done, I’ve already finished the story part of Winchester as well, just need to mop up the side activities. Almost killed all the Order of Ancients too, just two more targets to go there.

All looking good for the Plat as well, the Trophy I was dreading the most was the one for catching all 19 different types of fish in the game and I picked that up in my last session on Tuesday so I can’t see any speed bumps on the horizon now. 

I think the most remarkable thing about this game is just how it never gets boring. Other games that I’ve played that have clocked up these kinds of hours often it feels like I’m gagging to get to the finish line but with this I don’t feel those 115 hours whatsoever, I feel fresh as a daisy and could go on another 100 hours if there were another 10+ regions to explore.

I think what makes it so compelling is they’ve kind’ve distilled that essence of a 3D platformer. That special sauce that makes you want to go back into a world, stage or level to find a hidden mushroom or get the 5 hidden coins or something so you get another Star at the end of it. That’s what it feels like here whenever you pick up all the bits and pieces in a region and see a little gold outline appear round the edge of the level summary box, it’s just so damn addictive. Once you’ve collected everything in a region once you just want to do it again and again and again. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but the way the story is compiled into little episodes contained to each region is remarkable as well. They feel like neat little episodes of a tv series, each quite a bit different from the other, it just keeps things feeling so fresh and different, you never know quite what so expect when heading to a new region. I think the Shropshire and Gloucestershire Arc’s have been my favourite - the latter heavily inspired by a certain 1973 movie - but all are cool in their own ways. 

So yeah, not far off from the finish line now. 

Yeah, the game just really weirdly never got boring for me, never experienced that before with a game of this kind of length. 

This is definitely my favourite of the RPG Creed games. I still don’t think the world is as fun or visually arresting as Origins, and I still would’ve liked some more naval stuff thrown in but they absolutely nailed the story - and the way it is doled out in episodic portions - and the side activities in this. The balance was just superb, you never really got too much of anything, nothing outstayed its welcome. It goes into my top 3 alongside AC4 and Brotherhood.

The story was absolutely fucking bananas as well, and one of the biggest payoffs for long time AC fans like myself.

Spoiler

Eivor being a reincarnation of the Isu Odin, Sigurd and Basim being reincarnations of Isu Tyr and Loki is just bonkers. It’s crazy that the Norse gods were actually real and were the Isu years and years ago.

Layla getting tricked by Basim (Loki) and getting trapped in the Yggdrasil machine and meeting fucking DESMOND who is trapped in there ever since the cosmic flare incident in 2012 ? they even got Nolan North back to do the VO which is amazing. 

Looks like we’ll be playing as Basim in the modern day sections in the next few games. 

Fair does. Personally I prefer Odyssey. The story was more interesting, I found Eivor to be quite a dull character in comparison to Kassandra, who had way more charisma and personality. Odyssey felt like it had better variety, I loved the ship combat, which was pretty much non existent in Valhalla. And the loot system was much better, as you constantly had gear that changed your stats and appearance, something Valhalla unfortunately lacked. 

That’s not to say Valhalla is a bad game. Far from it, I had a lot of fun with it. I just felt it was a step backwards in comparison to Odyssey.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked this up recently and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. It’s the first entry in the series I’ve played since 2015s Syndicate which feels like forever ago now.

The graphics are very Ubisoft. Everyone when close up looks like an animated doll still but now in 4k and with greater detail.

The landscape seems nice and the snow fx are even an improvement over red dead 2. The waves look awesome and the lighting is lush.

I played some dice game. Man, never again. Wtf even is going on with that? And I explored up a mountain. I went a way I assumed would become impossible to continue like creed/most open world games of past but I was able to keep going and climbing which made me feel like the game is much more open than I’d presumed.

Also quick resume is awesome. My lunch arrived so I stuck on YouTube then after eating and back to the game and it was like POW there you go.

• 3 weeks later...

So it was a toss up between this and cyberpunk. I tried them both and decided the 'punk' can wait a bit longer.

This game is right up my street, even more so than origins. I thought I'd just give it a few hours then move on to a pallette cleanser before tackling it full on (as I'd just put 50 hours into origins). 27 hours later I'm level 90 and still only on the second of the 2 initial story arcs (which are level 20😀).

There's nothing about the game I don't like, although having said that, if there's something I feel is a bit of an unreasonable burden on my time (like floating paper collectibles) I just dismiss them. The stuff I like, the exploration, the raids, the combat, the little world vignettes, the stealth is all spot on for me.

But, surprisingly, it's the main story arcs that are really up there. The writing in this is really good. I love it.

Someone really put the work into these story arcs. I'm on the one with the timid king-in-waiting, and I'm feeling his pain. His bride to be thinks he's a wimp and her brothers would knife him in his sleep given half a chance. 

But it's all so we'll put together you could probably just do these arcs and get your money's worth if the RPG stuff wasn't so damn addictive, with loads of great places to visit (just been to the isle of Skye) and madly challenging side bosses dotted everywhere. I've killed a witch and one zealot up to now, but they were both effing close shaves, I don't mind saying.

Yeah, man. This is one top videogame. 

• 5 weeks later...

Over the 60 hour mark in this and I'm basically a Norse God of War, knocking ten kinds of shite out of anyone looking at me sideways. 50 or even 70 levels above me they all meet the same bloody fate.

In one way it's a pity my Eivor is now such a beast. Stealth seems a bit redundant.  20 surrounding enemies at high levels seem well with the bounds of what Eivor is capable of, with his pinpoint parrying, dodging and axe throwing (where the feck does he keep all those axes)?

And yet the game, easy at is, has stayed compelling in it's stories, world building, and exploration. It's very well written while keeping it simple, meaning that you can go off questing for as long as you like and then come back to the main thread and pick up the story no problem.

Just finished Cent, so I'm leaving it hanging for a couple of weeks with plenty of stuff still needing to be resolved, while I head back to Night city for a sort of cyberholiday.

Unexpectedly killed the last of Lear's daughters and claimed Thor's helm. Cordelia was way over 100 levels above me but still fell to my dual wielded axes. 

I'm now prancing around in a complete set of Thor's armour, with the exception of my cloak. If it's out there I hope to find it.

I love this game so much it's hard to put it into words. Having said that I'm not really aware of it being an assassin's creed experience. Sure, the order is present, and providing some quality opposition, but I've hardly seen any of the usual 'present day' interludes, and I'm avoiding any anomalies on the map because they're just a bore.

To be honest I can live without all that stuff, although I am looking forward to finding out how Eivor

Spoiler

ended up in America

I think I've finished this. I'm not really sure, although England has been pacified and the game has pointed out that I can carry on my 'saga' by building up my settlement, hunting down the order etc, as though that has now become an optional side activity. Seems a bit weird. You usually get some credits and then get dropped back into the game to clean up.

I don't know really what to do? 

If that's the main thrust done it didn't half end on a damp squib.

Seems to me that finishing the shire arcs is sort of the end of the game as such. Eivor is talking about how their is nothing of pressing concern and how it's time to take it easy and be a good Jaal in his settlement. Fair enough.

But I can't let him relax in his brother's wife's arms just yet. I'm going after the Father. That will be my end to this marvelous game. To helheim with the order!!

Done!

There's a couple of things left on the map, but nothing of real consequence. England is pacified. The order has been fully put to ground and Eivor has the full set of Thor's armour, cloak included. 

Strangely, after 103 hours I'm not really fed up with the game. I could go on. I know there's DLC, but that just might push me into diminishing marginal returns territory. Best to leave me wanting more😀

This was a true Viking epic. I thought it was just great, perfectly pitching it's components so nothing felt overdone or unattainable (although I'm not an achievement chaser so I've no idea what players had to go thru for that stuff). Yeah, Ubi have definitely turned this whole thing around. And the graphics! Jeez. 

• 7 months later...