passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassins Creed Valhalla

AndyKurosaki

DF should make a video on PC performance, everyone says it runs like shit but it's not been my experience and I'm almost certain it's cause of memory frequency.

There's no way my 3070 is running this better than someone elses 3080 yet that's what I keep hearing.

On the technical side of things I think the game looks nice but it handles dark sections really bad. It's sort of like when you are at someone's house and they have brightness set way too high and the blacks are grey. This is in SDR but it definitely doesn't look quite right and other games I have don't have this issue at all.

There's also some really low quality voiced dialogue, like they might have been impacted by covid and it sounds just a little off. Particularly the voice over 'inner thoughts' stuff.

edit I knew it wasn't just me, DF have the exact same bad looking visuals in that raid section on 4 minutes in

edit 2 PS5 runs better than xbox, an unexpected result. But watching that video just makes it seem like a bit of a technical mess, so choosing your poison a little bit it seems.

At the 55 hour mark, the story shows no signs of ending yet. I’ve managed to unlock the full view of the skill tree, but still have tons of skill points to earn.

Still not totally sure about the power level though. I’ve found a few Zealots that are allegedly level 90. I thought with me being level 220, I’d be able to handle them. Nope, got my arse kicked. Then made the stupid mistake of running a slight distance away to find more healing rations. At which point, the Zealot’s health bar fully recharged. So that can fuck off for now.

I already know I won’t 100% this, as some of the collectibles/side quests are a total ballache. There’s papers/scrolls that fly around rooftops, resulting in you chasing them, Black Flag style. And there’s a really tedious one which involves platforms mixed with puzzles. I managed the first one. But I’ve found two more since then that I just can’t be arsed with.

Sorry for the daft question is this game stealthy stealthy like the first few or can you go in hammers blazing? I gave up years ago on this series as I would just get frustrated with the attack modes and the creeping round following random people...it looks great visually, but I don’t want to spend money on something I have no real intention to play.

Yeah, stealth isn’t much of an option. You could probably get away with a few stealth kills. And you can use a cloak to slightly reduce the amount of time it takes for an enemy to spot you. But that feels pretty pointless and ineffective really. 
I can be walking around town cloaked, only for some dickhead to spot me anyway, and after about 5 seconds he decides he wants a fight. So I don’t even bother with stealth at all. 

Ive unfortunately hit an annoying brick wall, progress wise. I just finished a quite lengthy mission, which felt like it was getting close to the end. Only for the real final mission to appear on the map. Power level required? 340. I’m currently at 240. I’ve been doing a lot of side quests, and collectibles, so I haven’t been rushing through. But now, I’ll have to do some significant grinding. Because if I go in that area, pretty sure I’ll get absolutely destroyed, even with most of my gear being maxed out.

And there was absolutely no warning whatsoever, as the previous mission was recommended Power Level 220. So just when you think you’re nearly there, it’s gone “No, fuck you, do more grinding”.

I’ve had 3 more experiences where broken AI has resulted in having to reset the game. “Follow this person to the next objective”. Yeah, bit hard to do that when said person decides to stand perfectly still and result in the mission being stuck. Thankfully regular auto-saves mean you don’t lose much progress. Still a ballache though.

Its also happened in two Raid side missions. They’re usually a fun, storm a town side quest. You gain loot to improve your settlement. That loot is in massive chests, which require the help of an AI teammate to open. Unfortunately sometimes they can’t be arsed, and that’s the raid cocked up. 

Spent a good few hours to level up, done a ton of optional quests, and I’m nearly at level 300. Which means the difficulty marker for the finale has dropped from “No chance, mate” to “Challenging”. So I might just see how it goes. 
Honestly, whoever decides that it’s a good idea to lock a finale by an unskippable grind, they can just fuck right off. As it’s just really, really annoying. Least in Odyssey there was the option of getting an XP boost to make levelling up faster. You can’t do that in this. 
On the one hand, less micro transactions is good. But it’s really annoying to make your way to a blue unidentified marker, symbolising a side mission/objective, only for you to discover you’re massively under levelled for it. But you’ve no way of knowing until you reveal it.

8 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Least in Odyssey there was the option of getting an XP boost to make levelling up faster. You can’t do that in this. 
On the one hand, less micro transactions is good. But it’s really annoying to make your way to a blue unidentified marker, symbolising a side mission/objective, only for you to discover you’re massively under levelled for it.

?

Surely the correct answer should be to give the player sufficient XP to tackle the end game stuff naturally without a stupidly long grind or having to spend money on MTX? What a ploy, remove mtx for brownie points then make the grind so bad players ask for them to be reinstated so they can spend money on mtx again

instead of just making level progress better. Great ? Fucking madness. 

Ubisoft

But yea I hate it when a game gate keeps story content behind boring work like its a mmo, i think its less a mtx problem and more due to how ubisoft design all their games like its a mmo zone

Its imo less cynicism and more lack of imagination, terrible developer (not even getting into their cultural problems which are obviously much worse)

I definitely wouldn’t want the XP boost micro transactions reinstated, as that was just bollocks. It’s like they’ve forgotten how grindy the game is, and took out the boost micro transactions without decreasing the grind. 

Anyway, I managed to finish the game at level 300. Well, kind of finish. I’ve done all of the main story missions. Quite a few side missions. There’s nowhere left to conquer, and no more main story objectives. But, the end credits haven’t shown. All it said was a typical message you get after finishing most games, “There is more still to do”.  Maybe you have to fully kill the Order for the end credits to roll. We will see.

I haven’t played this so can’t speak from experience but with Odyssey it threw so much XP at you if you do a load of side stuff that I was max level by about hour 50 (out of 100). I’m not sure how this handles side activities but I look forward to diving into it to see if this ‘grinding’ talk is nonsense again (in my view) or not. 

It’s meant to be an absolute monster of a game so I find it a little hard to believe there’s not a ton of stuff out there to do which would net you XP by the boatload.

There’s definitely tons of side missions to do. Some interesting, some a pain in the arse (the platforming/puzzle solving one can fuck right off. I did two of them, and I’m done, the rest ain’t getting done).

You level up quite regularly, and get two skill points per level. Your actual gear had no affect on your power level at all, so levelling up is in your best interest. I didn’t rush the story, and quite regularly did as many side missions/collectibles in each area. 

When you access the Territory map, each area has a specific power level. Some within your range, others way beyond it. Meaning you’ll pretty much get massacred if you attempted those. I chose a territory that matched my power level. By the time I’d done that, and levelled up by doing so, I was more than capable of taking on the next region.

Its only the finale that took the piss in terms of grinding. I had to do several hours of side missions to get even close to the 340 recommended power level. Turned out I was easily able to manage it at level 300.

Theres still plenty to be going on with, and I will go back to it every now and then. Though I’ve already decided I won’t bother to 100% it, as that’ll take forever, and some of the side missions I really don’t like (fuck off again, platform/puzzle side mission). 

I’ll turn my attention to Yakuza Like A Dragon, and go back to this in between that.

Overall, I’ve already had an enjoyable 70 hours. I think I prefer Odyssey, as the side missions are more enjoyable than this (chasing papers across a roof top is not my idea of fun). But it’s still a bloody good game.

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

grinding’ talk is nonsense again

I know you put “in my view” there but I’ll still bite. I was regularly under levelled when I played Odyssey. Even doing some side stuff - not a lot admittedly since I found the side stuff boring and repetitive but I still did some in every area I reached. Yet I still needed to grind and do more of them than I wanted to.

From what I’ve heard this does seem a bit different though. The grind seems to mainly be related to that territory map thing.  

Grinding is relative to a lot of people, for a lot of people doing any sort of repeatable side-content to get high enough level to do mainline content can be considered grinding. 

I've not played enough though, I just got put off by how bad the combat felt and they make you do loads of these raids with it.

21 hours ago, mfnick said:

I know you put “in my view” there but I’ll still bite. I was regularly under levelled when I played Odyssey. Even doing some side stuff - not a lot admittedly since I found the side stuff boring and repetitive but I still did some in every area I reached. Yet I still needed to grind and do more of them than I wanted to.

From what I’ve heard this does seem a bit different though. The grind seems to mainly be related to that territory map thing.  

That’s fair enough, I respect that you at least gave it a good go. It wasn’t for you in the end. I liken it to just playing the main quest line in Skyrim or completely ignoring all then zany side activities and mini games in the Yakuza series or something. I just don’t see it as grinding is all, grinding for me is when you’re getting battered by a boss in a JRPG and need to mindlessly kill the same creature over and over again to farm XP or farming materials in something like Destiny looking for that one special rock you need to build some special armour.

I’ll see what it’s like when I get to it, will be going for the 100% and I’ll see how long it takes me to reach max level. 

Done a bit more in this, killed a few Legendary animals, scored some of the epic level armour. I was going to kill the rest of the Order. Until one of the reveal requirements for finding one member involves winning someone at the dice mini game. Which I find boring as fuck, so that can wait.

I never did any of the DLC in AC Odyssey. A mate i game share with has all of the DLC, so thought I’d go back to it, with my 60 hour save file. And man, what a contrast. 
The combat feels so much better, as there’s so many more moves you can do. I’ve found the bow in Valhalla pretty much useless, whereas in Odyssey it’s quite good.

I’ve tons of outfits to choose from, something Valhalla sorely lacks. In that, I’ve got about 5 outfits in total. After 70 hours of gameplay. And one of those was pre-order DLC. Maybe they stripped it down, as some people found the amount of gear in Odyssey overwhelming. But at least you had things to choose from. Valhalla barely gives you anything at all. There may be other stuff to find. But the main problem I had, was so often a area with gear in, would be blocked off with barricaded doors. I’d spend ages trying to figure out how to get into it. Only to get bored, go “Fuck this” and go somewhere else. And that happens a LOT in Valhalla.

A did a few ship battles in the Odyssey DLC, which reminded me of how fun they are. How many ship battles did I do in Valhalla? None. Once you’re in England, I barely bothered using the ship at all.

Odyssey logs all submissions you have to do, something Valhalla doesn’t. There’s stuff I could go back to in Valhalla now I’ve levelled up, but I can’t remember where they were, and as ‘World Events’ don’t show up on your mission log at all, that’s kind of a pain. 

And I just prefer Kassandra to Eivor. In just a few hours of the DLC, I’ve found her more enjoyable a character than Eivor. Definitely has more personality.

That’s not to say Valhalla is bad. I’ve had a lot of fun with it. But, going back to Odyssey has made me realise that it was a much more enjoyable game. More gear, better combat, and more to do that’s actually fun. There’s several side tasks in Valhalla that I’ve found a total chore, and have no intention of ever completing.

On 28/11/2020 at 23:07, AndyKurosaki said:

And I just prefer Kassandra to Eivor. In just a few hours of the DLC, I’ve found her more enjoyable a character than Eivor. Definitely has more personality.

I honestly think Kassandra is the best Protagonist in an AC game since Ezio. She's just such a fantastic character.

People are using cheat engine to give themselves unreleased cosmetic DLC.

I'm def of the view that if CE can unlock this stuff then its fair game, already use CE to make dmc5 19 times better

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-30-assassins-creed-valhalla-players-have-already-found-a-way-to-get-helix-store-items-for-free-including-unreleased-gear