passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassins Creed Valhalla

AndyKurosaki

Ok, so I was burned out on the Assassins Creed series. The yearly sequels got me feeling pretty tired of the series. By the time 3 came out, I was pretty much done. I tried a few other games in the series after that point, but never really committed to them. Odyssey got me back into it, and what an outstanding game that was. So I was naturally excited for this.

I’m playing this on my day one PS4. Naturally it will perform better on next gen. But having said that, I’m not disappointed with the way this looks at all. The game is absolutely stunning, and apart from the initial long load time, it runs pretty smoothly. I’ve seen video reviews of some hilarious bugs/glitches, but haven’t encountered any myself yet.

The combat is a bit basic at the moment. Reviews have pointed out that it takes a few hours to unlock different moves and abilities. So I’m looking forward to that. It’s nice that you can respec your character at any time, so if you fancy a different approach that’s always an option.

Wandering around the main settlement, I’ve found three mini games. One which involves out-drinking your opponent, one where you use poetry in a battle of wits, and a dice game which I lost horribly on my first attempt.

There’s a micro transaction store (because of course there is), but thankfully it’s totally ignorable. You have to search for it yourself (no obnoxious daily deal prompts bombard you). And the vast majority of the items are cosmetic only. There’s no “pay to unlock XP faster” as there was in Odyssey. So although it’s there, it isn’t an issue. 
Usually in Ubisoft games, I like going to the Ubistore to unlock various exclusive bits. There’s very little to unlock in Valhalla’s Ubistore page. But again, not much of a complaint really.

Definitely looking forward to sinking many hours into this. 

Well, I’ve encountered my first annoying glitch. When it comes to saving my games, I’m a bit OCD. I like to save regularly, and have a backup just in case. For some reason this morning, the game refused to let me to manually save. No justification given, just a “You cannot save your game now” message. I was in the middle of a mission, so figured that was probably why. I completed the mission, and was still unable to manually save. I figured the auto save would have taken care of that. 

Nope. 15 minutes of progress lost. So that sucks. Hopefully the next time I switch my PS4 on, it will have sorted itself out. As that’s quite annoying.

I haven't started this yet but I've heard about lots of bugs and performance issues on PC, including yes save issues.

I've a 2 hour refund window anyway so if it's really bad I'll just refund.

edit I like how they just straight up put the store shortcut right on the inventory screen

Assassin's Creed® Valhalla2020-11-10-16-11-56.png

Shameless, shitty ubisoft are shitty

edit 2 OK so I played a bit of the opening, they give you a weird choice where you can choose to let the animus glitch out and randomly change your gender throughout the game. I look forward to seeing how they try and justify that narratively so I picked that option. Right now I'm a lady, lets see which the animus prefers. 

The game is nice looking, not quite next gen but polished up enough and smooth to run that it feels impressive. I haven't played a AC game since Brotherhood cause I got sick of that predictable ubisoft checklist shit so I think skipping an entire generation of AC might put me in the frame of mind that I can get on with this game for a while.

I think the combat is pretty bad, but sailing with your viking bros is nice.

huVKFtC.jpg

tobBKtC.jpg

I played up to some big story event and raid, I think this game look splendid and runs incredibly smooth, barely a stutter. But it plays like shit. Not sure I can put up with this sort of terrible combat.

I'm hopeful that the sphere grid thing they put in includes interesting enough perks but the actual game feel of combat is like some sort of mobile game version of Dark Souls or something, it really doesn't feel good at all.

Good thing it's such a pretty game then, also the story seems decent.

I am not that impressed by that loading tbh, I think that the load times in this must not be as affected by SSD speed as some other stuff that's come out.

When I get to England I might take my own clip comparing the same location, just to see if the console advantage is really there for Valhalla.

That is really cool tho that it has save cross compat between consoles and PC, like a really really cool thing I wish more games did (fucking DMC5 for one)

Played nearly 10 hours of this now, really enjoying it. It’s quite satisfying raiding towns to gather materials to improve your settlement. 

The skill tree does seem a bit ridiculously large, and with stuff being hidden, it can be tricky figuring out which of the 3 paths you want to take. But then you can repeck whenever you want, so that’s not much of a problem.

Spent most of the day playing this. They’ve certainly added a few puzzles that were lacking in Odyssey. Some of them interesting,some I’ve had to use a guide for as I’ve no bloody idea what I’m meant to be doing.

The Stamina meter seems to be broken. Like Dark Souls, attacks drain stamina. Or at least, it’s supposed to. In this, my stamina bar is nearly always full, despite spamming attacks like a Beserker. Occasionally it empties completely, seemingly at random.

Whatever. I’m having too much fun to care.

For anyone that is thinking about getting this on Series X:

02A525E7-9E76-4C6B-A080-04EF1247E6A8.jpeg

Seems to be a lot of issues with screen tearing unless you’ve got a VRR TV. If you’ve got both consoles then I’d suggest changing/exchanging to a PS5 copy or waiting for a patch on Series X.

So I haven't had problems, but what I've heard is that apparently Ubisoft games are massively impacted by memory frequency. If you have XMP or the AMD equivalent on your motherboard you should check that out, overclocking RAM. Seems to resolve microstutter (maybe it's constantly trying to phone home DRM or something)

I noticed on another forum where lots of ppl with way better machines than me were having issues, then enabling XMP fixed it.

Had an amusing glitch just now. Finished a round of the drinking mini game. One member of the crowd decided to turn upside down, totally pixelate themselves, then fly off into the sky like a firework.

25 hours down, 3 areas liberated. Still an absolute ton of stuff to do. 

4 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Had an amusing glitch just now. Finished a round of the drinking mini game. One member of the crowd decided to turn upside down, totally pixelate themselves, then fly off into the sky like a firework.

Sounds like they got booted from the Animus

30+ hours in, and the end doesn’t feel anywhere in sight. Which I’m fine with, as this, like Odyssey, is bloody brilliant.

I do wish though that certain side missions would tell you what power level they are before you start them. I’ve had several occasions where I’ve had to sit through a cutscene prior to a fight, only to realise when the fight starts, I’m massively underpowered and don’t stand a chance. Leading to me legging it.