passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars Squadrons

spatular

So it's star wars, and you fly around in various star was vehicles such as xwings and tie fighters, and you shoot bad guys (or good guys i guess).

I'm a big fan of the old school tie fighter game (and xwing etc.) and this takes a lot of things from that - like the engine/lasers/shield power balancing thing, which i like, it adds a sort of mini management thing, you can divert power to any of these 3, choose engines to help evade missiles and charge a boost meter. lasers charges your lasers, and overcharges them added benefits which i'm not totally sure about (either you get to fire for longer or the laser is more powerful, not sure?). switching to shields charges your shields and can overcharge them. it sounds quite simple but i think it really adds to the game as you have to constantly switch between them depending on what's going on - i'm still getting used to it and the controls. there's more settings you can adjust shield power forwards/backwards and other stuff - that's too advanced for me at the moment.

i've done 5 missions so far, 2 prologue ones and 3 missions, i'm still getting bits of tutorial, and still getting used to the controls and what all the lights and stuff on the dashboard mean.

Ienjoying it so far but I'm not sure if i'm enjoying it because it's good, or because flying around in a xwing/tie fighter in VR is really cool, or maybe it's a bit of both.

have only played in VR so far, there are some problems with it, maybe due to my old vr headset, but the graphics aren't great, except for the cockpit which looks great, but stuff like the other ships look pretty blocky and a bit blury. but it is super cool being there, being able to look around for other ships and flying through explosions (which also don't look great) and stuff.

The targeting seems to work well too, and there are a lot of options i haven't got the hang of yet like targeting ships that are attacking you. but the default of cycling through current objectives works well - i played a bit of ace combat and had problems with the targeting, it seems to work much better here. you can also issue simple commands to team mates and stuff.

multiplayer seems to be a big part of it but i'm not sure i'll play that mode or not.

So yeah seems like it's pretty good so far, and even more recommended for VR. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this the other day, took me ages, was really enjoying playing a level or 2 at a time in VR, up to about level 9 or 10 where it got a bit harder and I kept having to retry sections which meant I was playing longer than planned and felt a bit sick, so didn’t play it for a while. Dropped the difficulty and finished off the last few levels and was enjoying it again. Overall it’s been good fun, and playing in vr is really cool, but I didn’t really get into it as much as I did the old xwing/tie fighter games.

ive not tried multiplayer, not sure if I will.