passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hades

HandsomeDead

Got a couple more wins today using the gun and sword. Actually sitting on a 3 in a row clear streak now.

Gun was easy enough because I got an upgrade that made the special attack do 300% damage. Was still quite tricky for the last boss because he moves a lot and the special takes a bit too long to land. 

The sword run was difficult but only because the sword is terrible. 

I’m trying hard not to use guides or a wiki because the discovery aspect of this game is my favourite part. I’m having real trouble knowing what to do with weapon upgrades though. I managed to reveal the true form of the spear last week but not sure how I did it. Achilles mentioned something about the spear once then when I finished the game with it the true form unlocked. I can’t even get him to talk about the other weapons. Not sure how to activate this process. 

Also wish I was confident in how to upgrade the weapons. The upgrade material is so hard to come by and to get even a slight bonus on a weapon is very expensive. I don’t want to waste the material because I could easily see getting to a point in the game where it will become basically unobtainable. 

Still finding new stuff every time I play the game, though. Unlocked a new NPC, a new area in the chambers, maxed out some more mirror skills. The game itself is only 30-40 minutes long but the wealth of content to unlock that they fit in around the sides is what makes keep going back enjoyable. I’m yet to get to a point where I feel like I’m leaving empty handed. 

I think I just completed the game properly. I got credits roll. 

Spoiler

Hades let me past without having to fight him. Then Zag’s mum agreed to come back to the underworld. Really weird, really cool. 

Nooooo I was on a 9 win clear streak and died 

EkKo58UU8AA95Nf?format=jpg&name=large

I had such a bad build on my last run. I was using the bow and picked up a upgrade that gave it 300% damage boost and explosion AoE stuff but at the cost of draw speed and it was so slow. The very few times that a Daedalus upgrade was not worth it. 95% of the time I think Daedalus upgrades should be picked over anything else - but not that one.

Also what I was talking about before

Spoiler

EkKo58LVoAADKtQ?format=jpg&name=large

Boom. Such a crazy game. It’s not that I think Hades has the best story (Although it is decent) but the story telling techniques and taking advantage of the rogue like nature. Absolute genius. There’s a good number of times when I had my expectations set because of the repetitive nature of the game and then fwoosh! Rug whipped out from underneath me. I’ve said time and time again the best quality any video game can have is surprise and this game just keeps delivering. 

I will say I’m at another point where I don’t know where the game is going. I’m left wondering if I’ve reached a point where I’m playing it simply to unlock what’s left in the game (Which is a fuck tonne) or there’s more story and surprises to go. I’ve thought that at least 3 times before and the game then revealed another goal so I’m sticking with it. I don’t believe it’s done yet. 

Not that I've played many rogue likes at all but my current favourite was Dead Cells. Hades is better than Dead Cells. Dead Cells is a little more interesting because the way the levels are procedurally generated gives it a bit more variety. I think there’s more skill involved in Dead Cells as well. Hades doesn’t have as much variety in terms of maps and is certainly an easier game. 

The things that put Hades above it for me, though, is the game isn’t as build dependant. When I played Dead Cells each run was trying to maximise the purple stat + traps and turrets. Any run that wasn’t that build I knew wouldn’t be winnable. Not only in Hades can so many builds work nearly every run I’m combining different buffs on weapons on buffs so it always feels different. Even if using the same weapon nearly every time I’m having to think about using the same weapon in a different way to take advantage of my new, bespoke load out. It’s like baking a cake and each weapon starts of as the base but then you can just keep layering crazier and crazier stuff on it so the last run with the bow has very little in common with the new run with the bow for example. 

Which leads on to the other amazing aspect of the game which is the layering of abilities. It just gets so fucking crazy and if you play it right the character can end up so OP. It’s a shame the game doesn’t have an endless mode where it’s possible to non-stop stack just to see how far it can go. It’s honestly one of the best designed and most fun systems I’ve seen in any video game. Maybe that is my lack of experience with the genre talking but I’ve never seen anything quite like it. I can’t imagine the amount of thought and testing Supergiant must of done to get this buff system so modular, versatile, creative and fun.  

The last thing I like about this game more than Dead Cells is how it handles difficulty. I like Dead Cells but that game is kind of a dick. The last leg of it is full of enemy spam and the final boss is a wanker. It’s attacks are so fast and overbearing frankly I think it’s unfair. I really don’t like the final boss at all. Another reason why that game is so build dependant.

Hades final boss is tough, but can be straight overpowered if you have a crazy build. If the build doesn’t come together he can be beaten with skill. And if all else fails the patterns are easy enough that it doesn’t take too much practice. And if it ends up getting too easy hey, here’s almost 20 different difficulty modifiers you can put on to keep the game interesting. 

Both games are ultimately about powering up to deal with the final boss but where Dead Cells feels like I had to aim for a very specific end game that if I didn’t get it meant the the run was literally doomed. Hades has so much more flexibility and experimentation nearly every final boss encounter I’ve beat with a different set of tools. Sometimes I lost, sometimes I just about squeaked it, and sometimes I spanked the holy shit out of it but it’s always different. It makes coming back and trying again so rewarding. Dead Cells was so full of binary win or lose. I would either have the winning hand or it felt futile. What I like so much more about Hades is it’s never over. Except for when it is and you have to start again. But starting again just means I get to try all new kinds of cool shit. 

I love this video game. It’s so god damned good. 

Spoiler

Well this was fucked up

EkVXmwHU0AA4dAy?format=jpg&name=large

Managed to clear the game on Heat Level 3. That’s what I’m starting to have to do if I want more materials. So far picking the easier difficulty modifiers. 20% extra enemies, traps do 400% extra damage, bosses all have a new technique. I didn’t realise this but not only are there 15-20 difficulty modifiers, they go up per rank. So if I wanted I could push extra enemies up to the next rank so it would be 40% more, etc. Really crazy customisation.

This happened a while ago but Zag earned a rank up for something and I was told I could use a new thing. But I button’d through the dialogue too quickly and I don’t know what it is.

Spoiler

I’ve also finally got far enough with a NPC that I’ve turned them into a Call ability that can be summoned 5 times per run. Now just got to figure out what other NPC’s I can do the same with. 

Look how crazy this power is 

EkiQgwPVcAA2T9U?format=jpg&name=large

Combined with a bunch of Athen’a deflect powers and this was a Shield run I was basically invincible. 

Look how easy this last boss fight was. Yes I am close to death, but I had nothing to worry about because I had 3 lives left and I just stood in one spot repeatedly shooting him with the shield. This was on Heat Level 4 and it was the easiest run yet. This game is crazy.

Spoiler

It occurred to me today that I’ve played this game for 35 hours and have yet to hear a repeated bit of dialogue. Not that every line is amazing but none of it is terrible. Really impressive. 

15 hours in now. Early days but I think this game is a masterpiece... I don’t even know where to start. Still sitting on a 10/10 for me and another indie game that is a highlight of the current generation. When my head is clear I’ll have to sit down and write a long post about it. This is the second game of theirs that has blown me away.

@Maf I've had that duo power.  It didn't save me though.  I think I've come to the conclusion I'm just terrible at the final boss.  I can only beat him if I've been good enough to not use any of my resurrections.  I said early on that the fists were my favourite weapon.  They still are.  But it's the only weapon I've not finished a run with.  I hate the sword and I've done it with that... Twice... With heat on it.

Had a good run there. Got to the Elysium boss with all my resurrections intact, only dropped one in that fight, made it to the final boss still with 2/3, made it to his second phase and had him down to about 1/3 of his health before I died. 

Spoiler

That unlocked the last God, Demeter. I only have two trinkets remaining to unlock, Demeter’s and one other character who I haven’t encountered.

Yay! Got to the final boss three times in a row today and third time was the charm.  Finished with 10/300 health but I still had one resurrect left. I had a lot of Zeus boons and Exit Wounds was doing serious damage as well.

I’ve done all my runs up to now with the sword, so it’s time to move on to a new weapon. I started my next run with the bow and I love it. 

250C21AB-01F3-4E07-AC5F-7D37F57D127D.jpeg

I just beat Hades on my second time of reaching him. I somehow made it to the end with all my death defiances intact, so despite not knowing his attacks yet I was able to wear Hades down on my last life.

I was using the bow which I haven't had the best results with before, but I got a decent build this time.

I had the the Demeter boon which added chill to my attack and the Ares one which turned my dash into blade vortexes so I was was slowing enemies and dashing through them for damage over time.  I had boons from Artemis so my cast and any attack fired seeking arrows.