passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hades

HandsomeDead

So this is the action rogue-like from makers of Bastion and Transistor.

It's a very good one.  It has a lot of potential stuff in terms of weapons, buffs and abilities for a run that come together in some surprisingly interesting ways.  I don't really want to go into it all, because there is so much and it's a bit of a spoiler, in a way.

I do think anyone who likes Dead Cells will have a hard time not getting into this too.  It's got the same kind of fast, dash-y combat but I'd argue the upgrades are probably more interesting because they're tied to more than your attacks.  I guess Dead Cells has some of that but it's robust with a bigger variety of abilities that can tie to your dash, for example.  But Dead Cells is better in some other ways.  They're both cool and good; get both!

I'm also quite enjoying the story more than I expected.  It's set in Greek mythologies' underworld and done in quite traditional way in that it's mostly a family squabble the consequences of which is big, dramatic and violent fights and supernatural displays of power.  It's kinda fun that you're trying to escape the underworld in a rogue-like and no-one really cares that you're doing that because they know you'll die and be back.  Some give quiet encouragement or Hades himself just rolls his eyes as you leave.  It's played pretty straight and it's cool to hang out in that starting area before the intense combat.

I'm not sure how many stages there are but the best I've done is get to the third boss, who are a pair of cheaters.  I dunno how I'm meant to do it right now.  I think since I don't have a brilliant way to do a well synchronised build yet, just out of inexperience, but I'll get it.

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

rogue-like

I’m out.

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

likes Dead Cells will have a hard time not getting into this too

Wait, I might be back in. 

What’s the actual gameplay like? Is it a brawler style with combos etc? Is it 2d scrolling like Dead Cells too or is it overhead? 

I’ve just started playing it, unlocked a couple of weapons and just started scratching the surface of what permanent upgrades you can get.

Dead Cells is an obvious comparison for me, it certainly is the best way of describing this as an isometric Dead Cells.

The weapons all feel suitably different and there doesn’t seem to be a “correct” weapon right now, just the one that suits your playing style.

I've been liking the gauntlets the most I think and my runs with those are usually more successful ones.  But I think all the weapons are potentially strong especially with the correct boons but it's figuring out which ones work best as some are good for some weapons but not that strong tied to others.

On 21/09/2020 at 01:12, HandsomeDead said:

I've been liking the gauntlets the most I think and my runs with those are usually more successful ones.

I can completely understand why you like them, and as soon as I started using them, I could see this being the weapon of choice for those who love combo action games like DMC and Bayonetta but I like being at a bit more of a distance.

I’ve unlocked them all now, at least presuming it’s all of them. I like the spear the best, followed by the bow and then the blade.

There’s so many things to find and unlock, upgrade and generally tinker with. I’ve only just noticed what one of the collectibles is for, upgrading permanent stat upgrades for the weapons. So I’ve put a point into every weapon so far.

Actually just got a build that makes the gauntlets really good. 
Got a boon that gives you health back if you use the special to kill an enemy, then one that gives the special 40% damage increase plus 20% chance to crit.

So I’m just mowing down fools and getting health back.

I’m gonna have to do some googling I think as I’m missing one character to meet and some other stuff I’m not sure about regarding weapon collectible upgrades.

I've not come across that boon.  If you're worried about range with it I got a weapon upgrade that does increase its range and damage.  I just had a run with the shield that was mowing things down since it had Ares boons tied to the attack and special but somehow I still got killed on the Elysium bosses.  Really badly as well.  That's a boss fight you really have to learn.

I've not really been focusing on any one weapon but just pick the one that comes with the purple stuff boost.  I just hope it isn't the crossbow railgun thing.  I still struggle with that.

I did about 4 runs on this today. Furthest I got was my 3rd run where I got past Minos in Elysium. I was using the bow and arrow and had insane boons which meant my special was doing 180% damage or something. Add on the backstab damage and I was whooping people. But Minos I think is the first ‘real’ boss in the game because his attack patterns are more complicated and much faster than everybody else. So he wore me down and I didn’t get much further than him.

This game is excellent. 

On 25/09/2020 at 16:36, Hendo said:

Actually just got a build that makes the gauntlets really good. 
Got a boon that gives you health back if you use the special to kill an enemy, then one that gives the special 40% damage increase plus 20% chance to crit.

So I’m just mowing down fools and getting health back.

Oh, wow, I just finished the game with this build. Not only did I have all that but I also had arrows coming out the gloves that did massive damage, when Zag lands after the special he stomps the ground and that did loads of damage, I got 150 health so the 2% back for each enemy death was really helpful. I just put it together on the fly as well and ended up being really good. 

Here is my end game screen 

EjXfbr_VoAAdPTy?format=jpg&name=large

You can see some of the buffs and things I had going on but on the left you can get an idea of how many things were apart of this build. It was really insane considering I had no idea what I was doing. Crazy business. 

I’ll spoiler this but you can also see how much damage I was doing to the end boss and it’s hard to tell if the Switch was crashing or what but he can’t even move for bits of it

Spoiler

Melting that muthafucka

Even though I technically completed it I don’t feel like I’ve even scratched the surface on this game yet. I won’t spoil it in case people want to discover it for themselves but once you beat the game so many new things open up. 

As much as I’m not really caring about the story I’ll give props for the effort they’ve put in to it. The fact that NPC’s have so much different dialogue for every time you meet them on a run is really impressive in itself. But then the way they use the nature of the rogue like to bait and switch expectations is really smart. The first time you get to the first boss and it isn’t the first boss for example, but it also works narratively. Makes me wonder how deep and clever they get with it. 

I love this game and think it’s incredible. Supergiant are still one of my favourite developers going. Not only do I love their style but their games keep getting better and are always so fresh and different to most other games I’ve played. I think overall my favourite game of theirs is Transistor because I found that game very affecting but from a gameplay perspective I think this is certainly the best one. 

Wow. Completing this game once is one thing. Completing it a second time is much more difficult! I got right to the end boss who apparently has been upgrading as well. Does more damage, takes less damage, has new attacks. Ferocious. 

Unlocked a few more ways to power up now. There is a lot to collect in this game. 

I finally finished my first run.  It was the third time I actually got to the last boss so third time's a charm I guess.

20201004_225526.jpg

I don't know if he gets harder each run it's just the buffs you get along the way.  Some do more damage than others since they may help in another way.  This one wasn't actually a very DPS heavy build but it worked out somehow.

That looks like an insane build. I really like the spear but haven’t had anything that crazy with it yet.

I’ve got to the final boss numerous times now and I think he is way harder than the first time around. Some times I’ve got there and don’t have very good builds but a couple of occasions I’ve had some really strong ones and still got whooped. 

Right now I’m focusing on levelling up accessories and building up my character. I finally unlocked every skill and now just trying to rank them up. 

Have you figured out what to do with Ambrosia yet? I’m guessing that when you level up NPC’s enough the currency changes from Nectar to A,bro’s is bit haven’t levelled anybody past 1 yet so unsure if that’s correct or what I will get for it. 

The first time you give it to someone they give you an item that has a buff.  After that I dunno.  I think they share more story stuff the higher level up you are, I'm not sure.  You give them to the gods when you pick your boons too.  I still have one to give to the grim reaper dude but I keep forgetting to check for him.

Yeah, this is really good stuff. Furthest I've made it is to chamber 25. I love that every run you are making progress, even though you're right back at the start again. The lore is excellent. I'm focusing on the spear at the moment, seem to be doing ok with it.

Yes! 

Ejmyvy5U0AAKjLG?format=jpg&name=large

22 escape attempts and I finally got free a second time. I really just bullshitted the last boss to death. I got a Daedalus upgrade on the spear that made the dash attack hit 3 times in a row. In the beginning it kind of seemed bad. I only took it because it was one of my “fated options” I hadn’t done yet. Then, well...

Spoiler

Mash those buttons, baby. I really don’t know why he exploded to death when he still had 20% health left. It might be that legendary buff. It’s not clear but we take those. 

I think I’ve also maxed out the character as well. Most of my upgrades are at max. I’ve also lost the use for keys as there are seemingly no more skills or weapons to unlock.

In terms of character progression I don’t know what else to do. I can keep upgrading the weapons. The upgrade material is so rare, though, I’m not sure what to invest in. It seems as if the level ups on the weapons are incredibly minor for how rare the upgrade material is. I like a lot about the way the game handles it’s economy of currencies and rewards in this game but that is one part I think is very imbalanced.

Same with the gems used for renovations. I’m sure they’ll be something for getting all the cosmetics but I always spend the gems at the shop for more nectar, Xp or keys before renovating. 

Still really loving this game. If the boss gets even harder on the 3rd time round I don’t know what I’ll do. That was a true 10% skill 90% luck run and even with insane buffs and abilities on my side he still almost blasted me away. 

The thing that has me curious now is all the locked doors in the starting place. I wonder how I get those open. Maybe through renovating a lot? Maybe for getting NPC’s rank up? Maybe finally finding a use for Ambrosia at some point? 

Lot of mysteries in this game. 

Managed to get my 4th clear today. That last one was so easy I didn’t lose a life throughout the entire game. 

I got this ‘Duo’ power which turned my casts in to Blade Rifts which homed in on enemies. I then got two other boons which extended the time the Blade Rifts were out and gave them 20% extra area. On top of that I got another boon which meant while my casts were out they would rain lightening down on people. I also have all 3 casts so I would fire all 3 of them off, they would circle the boss doing 100’s maybe a thousand+ points of damage, and once they stopped and I was running away they were pelting him with lightening bolts ? 

Add on other stuff like higher critical hit damage and chance. Super easy.

I managed to unlock a final form of the spear. It’s really dangerous because it drops my life down 70% and reduced the amount of health gained in the game by 60 something %. That’s an insane challenge. I don’t know how I would do that.

My biggest complaint with this game is some parts are getting very grindy in terms of finding every boon, levelling up my character, doing renovations, having the story unfold very slowly, etc. Then there are some parts of the game which aren’t as grindy more just the challenge is insane. On one hand it’s getting repetitive trying to level up things with no end goal and the parts of the game that have very specific goals are super hard. I will never finish this game with the sword. Fuck the sword, it’s terrible.