passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario 3D all stars

bellow

Up to about 60 stars on Galaxy now and it's becoming a bit of a chore. 

Everything I like about it is still there and hasn't gone away but it just feels like there is a bit too much padding at times. I know that's partially my own fault for wanting to get every visible star on a stage before moving on, but yeah it definitely feels like it has outstayed its welcome a bit now. I remember feeling like this the first time around when I played it and it's ultimately why I bailed on it then.

At the same point in Sunshine I had almost finished the game whereas in this there seems to be a 3 or 4 whole other hub worlds to explore and I'm just not sure I can be arsed from this point going forward to do everything. I read you only need 60 stars to finish the game so I might just do the boss fights and end up finishing it. 

I definitely think I should've given myself more of a gap between Sunshine and Galaxy in hindsight.

Have 78 stars and have given myself a target of 90. Should be easy as I have only just opened the garden and I have plenty of easy gets elsewhere. Also tried motion control ball walking in handheld mode. Got the star but it's bleeding painful. You can end up looking at the back of the switch trying to get Mario up to speed?.

Strangely enough when you get the red star so u can fly you control that with the right stick. Much easier. 

I like playing Galaxy on Handheld but rather than the motion controls I absolutely hate the touchscreen stuff. It reminds me of those early DS games where they had to shoehorn some of that into every game just "because". I suppose there's no other way to do it because the game's being emulated but it's annoying nonetheless.

Actually I really like the touch screen stuff. You can collect a mountain of star bits with a single flick if the finger, and those blue 'pulling' stars are nice to control on the touch screen too. I think a little bit of work on the motion sensing stuff would have made Galaxy the perfect handheld game.

In a vacuum it works really well but it's still essentially a platformer you control with an analogue stick and a jump button, so for every touchscreen action you have to change your grip. I agree that collecting stars that way feels satisfying but you have to pause all the time to do it.

I was hesitant to post this, maybe because I wanted to convince myself otherwise, but I'm not enjoying Mario Galaxy remotely as much as I expected or even the first time around. 

I think it's down to how gimmicky the entire experience feels. I certainly noticed this on Wii already but it never bothered me but I'm just not getting into the rhythm this time around. Every Galaxy introduces a new little thing for a couple of minutes and then drops it, never to be revisited again. Classic platforming is surprisingly rare, more often than not you're pulling Mario around with blue stars or punching stuff with the spin attack. I can see it's a good game but I've moved on from enjoying this kind of gameplay I think. Mario 3D World was almost pure platforming and Odyssey almost perfected the hub-world gameplay I'd say and those are formulae I've come to enjoy much, much more than what Galaxy has to offer.

By extension this should mean I could have more fun with Sunshine which I haven't revisited yet.

I think I like it even better this time around @Maryokutai, and it was my game of the generation when it first came out. Not that I'm a massive Mario fanboy. As a franchise I don't think the plumber would squeeze into my top five favourites, although maybe my top ten. But this game is so inventive in its design, and such a happy and colourful place to be it will always be highly rated as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I'm looking at the title screen having given Bowser the bad news, after another superbly designed bit of platforming. A bit easier than I remember, I must say, although he just seemed to be coming straight at me on the last stage of the fight, so maybe I just got lucky.

Ended up with 92 stars. Gonna go back in and round it out for 100. 

I've played quite a bit more of Galaxy since my last post and am now up to about 90 stars I think.

I go through stages where I'm having a lot of fun and think it's great and then the next day I'll go through a few different galaxies and it just doesn't really resonate with me for some reason. Last time I think I gave up around the Bedroom Observatory as I just got a bit bored of it, this time I have pushed through and had some fun but I just don't really have a lot of motivation to play it and finish it. When I do play it I have a good time but I kind of dread going back to it a bit which is never a good sign.

For as long as I can remember I've never really resonated with the World 1-1 based Mario's, I don't think I've ever finished one aside from maybe 3D Land and Galaxy 2 (which were superb) as I just get a bit bored of the formula. Unfortunately, it's the same case with this, it's just a little too much of a good thing, something that was great for the first 5-6 or however many hours at the beginning is now just a little stale and I'm forcing myself to try to finish it rather than being eager to go back in. I know this is partly my own fault for wanting to get all the visible stars in every galaxy, but yeah, it still feels a bit too long and bloated for me. 

It's nowhere near as good as Sunshine and Galaxy 2 in my view that's for damn sure. 

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

It's nowhere near as good as Sunshine

A controversial take...

I 'finished' Galaxy last night with the hundred stars I'd promised myself. It was a very relaxing experience for the most part, but for my 99th star I just had to consult a guide to find where the hidden star was in the haunted ship level (where I'd previously beaten the boss with a daredevil comet?, after the 6th attempt?).

And when the guides come out, well, that's when my attention starts to wonder. Good run, though. And still one of my favourite games of all time. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I go back into the all stars compilation. I have a feeling @DisturbedSwanmight also be suffering from a bit if burnout trying to play these games back to back.