passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

God of War: Ragnarök

DisturbedSwan

There was one moment in the game where it was really cool, you were flying on a dragon or something fighting that dude and it was some Advent Children style shit the way it transitioned from the sky to the lake area around Midgard.

Man I really liked that game, maybe the most surprised I've ever been with how much I liked a game. Considering the older ones.

I hated the combat but considering everyone keeps going on about how good it was I'm considering giving it a second chance when Ragnarök is around the corner. I did like pretty much everything else about it, except maybe how dead the world felt (which they seem to remedy with the sequel).

Cory Balrog says the reason this is a two parter is cause of the amount of time it takes to make games these days

https://kotaku.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-will-wrap-story-because-trilogies-t-1847691005

“There are several reasons, [but] I think one of the most important reasons is [time],” Barlog said. “The first game took five years. I don’t know how long it’s going to take [to finish the second game], but I’m just going to throw out that it’s going to take close to a similar time, right, to do this. Then if you think ‘Wow, a third one in that same [time frame],’ and we’re talking like a span of close to 15 years of a single story. I feel like that’s just too stretched out. I feel like we’re asking too much to say the actual completion of that story taking that long just feels too long.”

I wish more game designers would think like this, I can barely think of a single game trilogy were I wasn't completely tuned out by the end or they fucked it up somewhere along the way. I just lose investment, never watched the last Hobbit movie (walked out of the 2nd one actually), FFVII Remake will get really boring if it doesn't speed things along

2 is a good number, just cause Star Wars and LOTR were trilogies doesn't mean every 'epic scale' video game story has to be as well. Especially when 2018 GoW was the same length as all 3 original games back to back lol. 

Planning a trilogy may be the problem.  Star Wars is used a reference but Star Wars was never a planned trilogy.  Maybe some loose plot points were thrown around but it was never a planned thing.  Those films had a different combination of writers and directors.  It's totally possible to have different creative teams do a satisfying trilogy.

The problem with games is time.

There was a time you could do a AAA trilogy in a generation but we're not there now.  You take too long and bleed into another generation you're gonna frustrate people, you gotta at least wrap it up in a generation when it comes to video games as far as I'm concerned.

I think the focus on AAA is the real problem here. For example, Gunfire games (Darksiders III) released three AA titles and a bunch of smaller games during the entirety of last-gen. If those three AA titles would have been part of the same IP, they would have been able to complete a trilogy no problem over the span of 7-8 years. But this whole AAA thing is a vicious circle anyway. Publisher spends lots of money, product is pretty - consumer is happy but wants a prettier product - more money for sequel and it all spirals out of control. I dont know where this all is all going to lead in a couple of years, and I hope that UE5 being kind of ridiculous in what visual fidelity it allows smaller teams to achieve will maybe give rise to more games on smaller budgets that still have eye-popping graphics to satisfy the crowd.

• 7 months later...

Yeah seems that way, hopefully we'll see something in the summer or before years end at the very least. It's odd as Sony used to love showing off game stupidly early, now it seems like they've done a hard 180 on that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bloomberg: God of War planned for November 2022

The highly anticipated PlayStation game God of War Ragnarok is planned for release this November, according to three people familiar with the game’s development, despite reports this week that it had slipped to 2023.

Publisher Sony Group Corp. is expected to announce the release date later this month, two of the people said.

God of War Ragnarok, the latest entry in the long-running series and a direct sequel to 2018’s God of War, was announced in 2020 for PlayStation consoles. Sony has delayed the game several times since then, both publicly and internally, as its developers deal with the pandemic and other production challenges. Earlier this year it was planned for September, but it was recently bumped to November. A spokesman for Sony didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The new game is expected to be a big hit and one of Sony’s key pieces of software as it works through hardware challenges. The Japanese video game publisher and manufacturer has been unable to make enough PlayStation 5 consoles to keep up with demand, costing it market share. God of War Ragnarok will be available both on the new console and on the old PlayStation 4, which has sold more than 117 million units, giving the game a substantial install base. The first game sold nearly 20 million copies.

A recent report from the European gaming website GameReactor, combined with the game’s absence at big industry events such as the Summer Games Fest and Sony’s own State of Play, led to speculation that God of War Ragnarok wouldn’t be out until 2023.

No dates are certain in the turbulent world of game development and it may still be delayed again. But as of this week it’s still on track for November, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing information that isn’t public.

• 2 weeks later...