passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XVI

one-armed dwarf

• 1 month later...

PS Blog: Final Fantasy XVI releases June 22, 2023

New gameplay details revealed as pre-orders go live.

Sunil Godhania Senior Social Media Manager, Square Enix

We’re excited to reveal Final Fantasy XVI will release on June 22, 2023, with pre-orders for the digital Standard and Deluxe editions go live today at PlayStation Store!

Final Fantasy XVI is an epic dark fantasy world that takes place in the realm of Valisthea—a land blessed in the light of the Mothercrystals, and where peace falters as the spread of the Blight threatens to destroy their dominions. The fate of the land is decided by the Eikons, mighty summoned beasts, and their Dominants, men and women who have been blessed with the ability to call upon and wield them. 

This is the tale of Clive Rosfield, a warrior granted the title “First Shield of Rosaria” and sworn to protect his younger brother Joshua, the Dominant of the Phoenix, Eikon of Fire. Before long, Clive will be caught up in a great tragedy and swear revenge on the Dark Eikon Ifrit, a mysterious entity that brings calamity in its wake.

As the first full-fledged Action RPG in the Final Fantasy series, designed for the PS5, Final Fantasy XVI features unique battle systems where you can fight, not only utilizing Eikonic powers woven into your swordplay, but also controlling Eikons yourself! Switch between Clive’s Eikon skills one after another in speedy real-time action battles and participate in dynamic battles taking on the role of an Eikon as they clash against each other. You’ll spot some of the new systems we’re introducing in the game in the trailer above. You can learn more about them below and discover how they’ll help you fight fire with fire (among other elements)!

When rival Dominants come head to head, epic battles between their Eikons ensue!

Myriad accessibility options allow anyone to experience Clive’s adventure—from seasoned action gamers to those who just want to enjoy the story.

We’re introducing a Story-focused mode, recommended for those players who are less comfortable with action games and wish to focus more on the game’s story elements. In this mode, Clive will automatically evade some attacks, and epic Eikonic combos can be triggered with simple button presses. Action-focused mode, where Clive’s every action is controlled by the player, is available for those who are confident in their skill—or want to test it!

Another outcast from the Northern Territories taken in by House Rosfield, Torgal was found alone in a snowfield during one of Archduke Elwin’s expeditions to the freezing north, and gifted to his sons upon his return. After somehow surviving the disaster that nearly ended the Rosfield line, he was reunited with Clive over a decade later, and now serves his master with the same fierce loyalty he did when he was but a pup.

In battle, Clive’s faithful hound Torgal is never far from his side—and when enemies approach, he does not quail. Not only can Torgal attack enemies, but he can also mend Clive’s wounds—and if Clive times his orders right, the two can prove a devastating duo.

Because sometimes, fighting fate is more than a one-man job.

At certain points in his adventure, Clive will be joined by certain stalwart allies who will fight alongside him—the composition of his party changing as the story develops. Unlike Torgal, these party members do not take orders directly from the player, but fight as they see fit.

One of these party members, Cidolfus Telamon, known to his friends as “Cid,” is a soldier turned outlaw that strives to build a place where persecuted magick casters—Bearers, and exploited Dominants can die on their own terms. A man of science, he also conducts research into how one might live in the deadlands—as he and his band of fellow heretics must. Cid is also a Dominant—the power of the Eikon Ramuh having awoken within him shortly after he landed on Valisthean shores. No doubt it was this power that saw him rise through the ranks of the Royal Waloeder Army—where it would seem he crossed paths with a certain Benedikta Harman…

Speaking of a wide cast of characters, the English voice actor list was also released today! You can take a look below at who will be bringing the characters of Final Fantasy XVI to life:

Clive Rosfield – Ben Starr

Joshua Rosfield – Logan Hannan

Jill Warrick (child) – Charlotte McBurney

Jill Warrick (young adult) – Susannah Fielding

Cidolfus Telamon – Ralph Ineson

Benedikta Harman – Nina Yndis

Hugo Kupka – Alex Lanipekun

Dion Lesage – Stewart Clarke

Barnabas Tharmr – David Menkin

We hope all this information made you even more excited for the game’s release on June 22, 2023! You can find out more about these characters and check out the latest information on the official Final Fantasy XVI website, as well as pre-order today at PlayStation Store!

I'm now getting a different vibe from this trailer. It looks like a reimagining/spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Legend. Which is pretty cool if true. The Action RPG side of it, I'm less thrilled about. But that is the direction Square has decided to shoehorn FF into.

• 2 months later...

Written Previews:

Eurogamer

From what I've played Final Fantasy 16 is surely set to deliver. Its intense battles escalate to an outrageous sense of scale; exceptional cinematics weave seamlessly into battle to truly showcase the power of the PlayStation 5; and Yoshida and his team exude confidence in their vision.

What I want to see next are the quieter moments. Peacefully riding a chocobo around that sumptuous world. Tender moments from Clive so we can empathise with him as the protagonist. If this demo showed the peaks, what's in the valleys? I'm excited to explore further and find out.

Oh, and for music fans, this time the iconic battle fanfare has lyrics sung by a choir. It's awesome.

Polygon

As Yoshida made clear at the beginning of his pitch for Final Fantasy 16 at the preview event, his team's new game is a thrill ride, with a focus on action and massive battle centerpieces. Of course, there's a grand story to be woven in there, but based on the hours I spent with FF16, the spectacle is already enticing enough.

VG247

Final Fantasy 16 needs to be seen to be believed. It's the PlayStation 5 game I have been waiting on for the past few years, and then some. The trailers and screenshots and videos don't do it justice – you need it in your hands to feel it, to understand the promises of Square Enix, at least from what I've seen so far, are all being delivered on. Final Fantasy is back, and it might be better than ever.

VentureBeat

Final Fantasy XVI looks to have the makings of a great action game. If it's RPG elements can deliver, this should deliver one of the most exciting — and accessible — experiences that the franchise has ever offered.

A lot of its success will likely come down to the execution of its story. This is, after all, what has made Final Fantasy XIV such a special experience for me and so many others. From my demo, I was impressed with the quality of the voice acting and character animation. The potential for a memorable story looks strong.

Going into 2023, Final Fantasy XVI was my most anticipated game of the year. After my demo, I still feel that way.

Others:

IGN

PS Blog

PushSquare

I'm so dark on this, I've watched and read absolutely bugger all on the game (except Clive... lol) I'll probably get caught up in the hype later in the year though and end up getting the game... I've nothing in the pipeline after April at the moment in any case.

Kind of messy looking, and needs some HDR or something to make these night combat scenes more visible and playable. 

As far as combat in general goes it's impossible to judge until you see experienced players I think, one thing about these 'stagger' based combat systems is people can be seen chipping away at enemies for ages until they figure out the correct way to stack different attacks together to kill things more quickly.

The screen shake is out of control, but VII Remake let you turn that stuff off so I guess they will here as well

There's a lot of hype from the XIV community for this game, cause a lot of the talent from that game is going to be shared with SP FF fans for the first time. The writing staff from FFXIV Heavensward, the main music composer (Soken). Whether it'll all come together in a self-contained title versus a long-running service title remains to be seen.

video from a pro dmc player

It sounds and looks cool, the eikons sounds like style switching. Garuda is devil bringer (grabs shit), there's a kind of royal guard thing as well. 'Just' dodge exists which is timed last minute dodge with a counter. Some Nioh in there as well with the eikon moves. but generally I think I prefer the hybrid approach of remake so far, compared to this thing which looks like a lite DMC. I just find 'lite' dmc sort of unsatisfying a lot of the time to the real thing

I'm going to sounded like a proper "boomer" but Final Fantasy now seems so far removed from what made those games exciting to me. It's not a problem I guess, Squenix have no obligation to makes games for me, maybe I should give Octopath a go or something?

31 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

but Final Fantasy now seems so far removed from what made those games exciting to me

I think that's maybe my problem too... as much as I enjoyed the VII Remake (Re-imagining?) I enjoyed the VIII Remaster more.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I'm going to sounded like a proper "boomer" but Final Fantasy now seems so far removed from what made those games exciting to me. It's not a problem I guess, Squenix have no obligation to makes games for me, maybe I should give Octopath a go or something?

Bravely Default is probably the closest to old Final Fantasy, although I'm guessing you're in to the original 'new' Final Fantasy like FF 7.

To be clear, his point is that the game isn't currently well optimised to deliver a good experience on PC, which is why a PC release is a long way away (the context of this quote is why a PC release won't be 6 months after release, but longer). Ideally a PC that's half that price could aim to hit 'standard/medium' level of visuals at playable framerates.

Although to be honest, this '$2000 pc experience' also describes actual PC releases like Forspoken where a 600 euro graphics card is necessary to just load the fucking textures.

22 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I'm going to sounded like a proper "boomer" but Final Fantasy now seems so far removed from what made those games exciting to me.

Honestly, it's why I pay more attention to news on mainline Dragon Quest than mainline FF these days. I never played a DQ game before DQ 8 (2004). By which time I'd already played FF 7-10 (and retroactively, 1-6). DQ 8 I would rank as the very best 3D Turn Based RPG, I've ever played. Even eclipsing FF9, my favourite of that series. Meanwhile, omitting the Online 11 & 14, I've found every FF since 9 on a gradual downward slope of quality. I feel they've definitely lost the "magic" of the early games.

While 16 looks right aesthetically. I'm not overly enthusiastic I'll enjoy it anymore than 13 or 15 at this point.

• 5 weeks later...

I know next to nothing about this as I've not watched any promo stuff at all... saying that I'll probably bite with the game due to having nothing much to buy in gaming from April onwards.