passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Keyboard and Mouse

Snaggletooth

• 1 month later...

I’ve been trying to play Outriders with K&M. It’s a decently fast shooter but easy enough you don’t have to play it super well so I thought it would be a good test. As much as I like the mouse for shooting there are so many buttons for everything else I just can’t remember them all. I don’t really know how I’m going to get around this. I don’t have the memory.

Also as much better as the mouse is for aiming it’s really worse for 3rd person camera. Having to lift the mouse and go left all the time.

Anybody have tips for things they do when they play on keyboard? It’s so many buttons

I'm not sure why you have to lift the mouse at all tbh, sounds like a mouse sensitivity thing not being set right.

I have a small keyboard for gaming stuff now, it's mechanical so makes lots of noise. Which can help with feedback, or maybe it's a placebo, who knows. As far as developing muscle memory goes I think a RPG or slow paced immersive sim is a better option than a shooter. If a shooter, I think one without too many buttons (Titanfall 2)

Thanks, I’ll read it in a sec. The biggest issue is finding the number buttons and F. Kind of important here and I can’t find it unless I look at the keyboard. Which was tough for this boss I just beat who kept teleporting around everytime I looked down 

Don't think of them like keys, think of them like locations the same way you do on a pad. You know the distances to triangle from X. Eventually you'll know that for the keys as well.

MCC is a pretty good game for learning keys since it has very few moving parts outside the WASD bits.

That's what I'm trying to do. Like reload is R, Melee is F and special powers are 1, 2, 3. In easy situations not too bad but there's quite a bit of losing control and having to look down to re-centre. 

How do you guys go from swapping game to game on Keyboard, then? Because on console/pads games have had fairly standardised control layouts for years now. Like CoD just came along and went "This is how shooters work" etc. Do you find genres in PC games have similar layouts too? Or is it always something you have to look in the menu at first?

This game has a little bit of that where you can swap between primary and secondary weapon on the mouse wheel, but to use the sidearm you have to hold Q and do the mouse wheel. Thankfully don't need the side arm at all and can settle with an assault rifle, sniper rifle and punching rifle. Which is just regular punching but keeping within the theme. 

3 days of using keyboard to play games and I've come to the realisation it doesn't matter how many buttons I press trying to find the right one so press all of them. I've just started sliding across the general area of the keyboard like it was a fighting game. Can't miss (Well actually I definitely can but it solves a lot of problems). 

However I still have moments where it gets mad and I have to actually look down to find my place again. It's such a weird way of playing a game. It's like yes there is a huge benefit to the right side of this shit which is almost completely deleted by the left side of this shit. 

I dunno. I will try to persevere but I'm thinking that if I can learn to play with this set up but it's not as good as a pad then what is the point. The point of using this is to be faster and better, and with the mouse yeah lovely very easy, but with the keyboard it's just like what is going on where are the buttons. 

Well, it's an entirely new 'controller' to you and as with a fighting game it's an extremely long learning curve. Anyway the kinds of games that would get an advantage from having all those buttons would be certain kinds of FPS and MMOs, maybe some RPGs. There's an empirical advantage there, again if you're good enough. A controller player cannot do the kinds of things a keyboard player can do in Doom Eternal and there's a reason why ffxiv needs to be twice as slow as WoW. Just ditching the weapon wheel completely changes the pace of Eternal, or so I've been told cause I suck at that game lol. 

Not that anyone should feel like they have to care about any of that, but a couple weeks aren't going to give you a super informed insight into why it might be better. But more importantly, it's only better at certain things anyway and if those things aren't in your wheelhouse it really doesn't matter. But muscle memory takes ages to develop, and there's a reason also they make small keyboards for gaming.

For me personally my main reason for not using it more often comes down to comfort, and pain. I have to use a standing desk to use a keyboard comfortably. Which I use most of the time while working, then you have the fact it's not suitable for TV gaming, so onto the old gaming monitor which I mainly use now for work (which I obviously would rather not look at more than needed). I only use it right now for Stalker, and Cruelty Squad. Which Im playing really really slowly cause of it

Left side is better as well, you can do stuff that's completely unviable on a controller, your APM goes through the roof when you get it. You think about a controller you have 6 points of contact to it if you can use both sets of triggers, but reloading or doing anything on the D-pad means you have to sacrifice what that thumb is doing on the sticks. So in a shooting game, you can sprint, jump, dive get back up, swap weapons and reload them without ever losing that flow because on a pad your thumbs are a limiting factor. It's not the case on KBaM, you can do as many things on the left hand as you can on the whole of a controller, then you factor in having a mouse with  a slew of buttons on as well and that multiplies action you can do.

The worst thing is losing analogue controls. You gain so much from using a KBaM for the majority of games that aside from very very specific circumstances you'd never want to use a controller because it makes the whole flow of a game cumbersome.

Honestly it's so hard to go back once you've got it.

I had a session of Rocket League followed by a session of Deep Rock just before Christmas and it felt more comfortable with the KBaM. I don't really have to look ever and even if I do skip over a key it's easily rectified.

Sometimes I'll try pad on some games and I can't be doing with it now, it's just so cumbersome.