passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Avengers

one-armed dwarf

I got this on steam, I don't know I'm thinking it could be trash. It doesn't make a bad first impression. Kamala is an alright protagonist although she keeps talking to herself. The bits of campaign I did were very on-rails cinematic setting stuff up so I got a bit bored of that and tried the 'war chest' thing or whatever it's called.

These MP missions they send you on are just a clusterfuck of shit and rockets flying off screen at you while you constantly get interrupted. You just seem to sponge up a bunch of hits and fire off cooldowns and spam light/heavy. I don't know, maybe there's more here but it really seems like there isn't. It's not helped by the fact that this runs very poorly, I dropped to 1080 on my card but it constantly runs all over the place. Not sure why.

But the campaign might be good? I can't say for sure cause it's still very hand holdey. But right now it does feel an awful lot like they wanted to make a single player game and were forced to make a rubbish multiplayer one on top. It's a very strange beast and is full of graphical glitches like rain freezing, kamala falling through the earth and a guard with a hat that floats around their legs to name but a few I witnessed.

It's a shame cause I actually kind of like how it plays. The hit feedback is terrible and you really really have to turn screen shake off as soon as you can cause it will make you sick. But with Tony Stark I was flying around and switching into hover and pot-shotting fuckers and then using melee as a distance closer to build up meter for more Iron Man shit. It has that kind of thing that makes the synpases fire off when you link up actions like that even if it isn't particularly deep. But the actual encounter design just seems like you might not as well think about any of that shit and the hordes of bullshit they throw at you makes sure you wont

But who knows maybe what needs to happen is I got to git gud.

Or the game does. Buy Tony Hawk instead

B2A3iXD.jpg

That is Kamala, she is Inhuman. Which means she has big hands and can stretch

BTW the way the MP works is sort of like you are on the Avengers version of the Normandy. You can roam around talking to people, do combos in a practice room. The MP takes place postgame and spoils the story apparently, what it reminds me of a bit is chapter 2 in MGSV. A bunch of non-descript missions where you are sort of mopping up the after effects of whatever happens to happen in this main campaign.

So I don't know what the long term thinking is there, do they develop story expansion beyond the postgame like a sort of MMO.

I spent a few more hours plugging away at MP with Iron Man. While I think this is a great iteration of Iron Man style combat this game really just feels anemic when it comes to repeatable content, which is the reason I came to it in the first place. It's just endless laboratories filled with robots and the murky dark graphics make it hard to pick anything out from the action.

It's a lot of this type of thing, very PS2 style 'hold this position down/destroy all the generators then regroup' type gameplay. I have no idea what games like Destiny or Anthem are like but this is a very meager offering from what I've seen.

But I dunno flying around as Iron Man is still kind of fun. But there needs to be more space for these missions. I'd like to play a game with the Kingdom Hearts combat engine with a playable Iron Man, come on Disney get on that shit and put Iron Man in that universe instead.

I feel like if you smooth out the huge amount of technical issues and start developing more careful and precise raid style content this game could be cool. Something which emphasises selective use of cooldowns and trying to find a synergy with different team mates. I don't think it will ever get to this however. Right now the combat is too busy and it's hard to imagine a version of the game which isn't just throwing your big numbers at other numbers.

Ppl keep saying tho that the story content for what it is isn't bad. So maybe that makes it a 'buy on sale' thing for some people, I don't know. I also don't know how these DLC and Spiderman type characters are going to work. The story is very largely about Kamala Kahn with everyone else playing a supporter role. There's too much work gone into these CGs and levels to imagine a situation where they spend anywhere near that level of effort on a DLC Hawkeye or Spiderman that only a few people will get to see. Particularly if there's a long term expansion structure being envisioned here. Like you can't give Spiderman an important role to play in this fight anywhere near like Kamala if only a single platform get to experience that. 

Anyway it all sounds very negative but really I think you fix most of the issues here with higher quality content and technical improvements. The actual base combat and acquisition of new skills seems pretty good. Iron Man can swap between lasers, rockets and propulsion.. things which are basically like AOE/delayed burst/single target damage so there's some layers here at least. After all the GoW 2018 combat director worked on this and I think that even had a similar flow with the weapon and melee swapping. I don't think this game is fundamentally fucked on a irrecoverable level I just don't think there's going to be much of a push to get it to where it needs to be. You really get the impression that there's a great game buried underneath some pretty terrible decisions that are outside of CD's control. 

No one asked but fun fact: Ms Marvel’s power to embiggen is done by borrowing her own mass from past and future versions of her self. Unlike Mr Fantastic who can just kind of stretch his body. So her powers are technically timed travel based. It’s also why she can take superhero damage in a fight and be all right after because she is borrowing the mass on her body in her power form and sending it back when she is done. 

I’m sure this will all help you play the game much better

I took a clip of a training room with Iron Man as this is the part of the game I can find some enjoyment out of. All in all this really has all the hallmarks of an unfinished product with the lack of audio and visual cues for the off screen projectile spam and the weird animations and bugs that occur with. It's a shame that a game with such technical problems has so many enemies and with so many projectiles

The frustrating thing here is you can see something really really good in it. It's like an unfinished draft of a really good team up action game. Maybe Crystal Dynamics should have just made an Iron Man game.

I played a bit more of the story but tbh it bores me, it's a linear Uncharted style thing. The thing with it is it's telling a very specific story about being a super fan and meeting your heroes that I think expects you to already be a super fan, which I'm obviously not. So I don't got a lot in common with Kamala and find her annoying cause she reminds me of Maf but if he was a girl lol.

I'm posting some alt takes on this game not cause I think I'm being too mean to it or whatever but to give context why I'm even playing it to begin with. It's cause there's some neat stuff that if they fix it could make the game very good (which it currently isn't, except maybe the campaign but I haven't been playing that)

As janky as the whole thing is I much prefer the fighting in this to something like Batman, which has my least favourite combat in games. Just responding to enemy cues and executing combos of counters and getting a big multiplier. This game has a huge emphasis on positioning, mode swapping and knowing when to close distance/use projectiles. As Tony Stark anyway. I still have to put time into other characters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/avengers-review/

Patrick Klepek likes the campaign and wonders why the marketting completely failed to mention that this was a Ms Marvel origin story, which yeah wtf is up with that. It's almost like they hid the fact that you play as something other than a white dude in this game wonder why that is hmmmm

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxqanb/marvels-avengers-is-a-good-game-buried-under-bad-marketing

I’ve played a few hours of the campaign now. And I’m enjoying it. The combat is satisfying, playing as Ms Marvel is a lot of fun, smashing people with massive arms, One Piece Luffy style. 

Ive not experienced any frame rate drops yet, though I did have one glitch where I fell through the floor, and had to restart the recent checkpoint.

We will see how it goes. One thing I will say though. Charging £15 for the Legendary costumes, for each character? Haha haha fuck off.

Personally if a thing is a cosmetic I don't really see the big deal, yea it would be better if it was unlockable but when it doesn't impact gameplay it's not such a big issue imo. It's a thing I have indulged in in certain games like FFXIV where if I'm putting 1000s of hours into something the cost/engagement ratio is usually so good it doesn't register as much more than a tip jar.

But what I will say is watch out about the fact that the game apparently keeps deleting stuff that people unlock, so if you feel rich enough to spend £15 on an outfit then you're likely not going to have it around for long.

Coincidentally I was watching a video of all the costumes in the game this morning and most of them are the same but with different colours. It looks as if they have maybe 3 base skins and then recolour them over and over. 

I’m not against cosmetics as a concept. I’ve got tons of them for all my characters in Dead By Daylight, as I like changing up my appearance. But the costing in Avengers just takes the piss. I’m never paying £15, for one character skin.

I know you can unlock some stuff in game, a lot of if the colour swap gear that Maf mentioned. I see you can grind some unique costumes with the Hero Cards, with their daily/weekly challenges. That, I’ll go for. Paying actual money? Nope.

Anyway, as far as the actual game goes, I’m liking it. Whether that will remain the case once the campaign is over, is too early to call. But I’m happy with what I’ve played of the campaign thus far.

I guess the style doesn’t really lend itself to the game but I was bummed to see there was no classic Captain America costume. Chain mail top, wings on the side of the head, ridiculous boots. It probably wouldn’t mesh with what the game looks like but that’s the Cap costume I would want.

Think I’m about halfway through the campaign now. And I’m having a great time with this. Miss Marvel has been my favourite to play as so far, though I’ve just unlocked Black Widow, and she’s quite interesting to use as well.

For all the reports of the frame rate dropping dramatically, i haven’t seen that happen, and I’ve been in some chaotic battles. 

I’m not planning on trying the multiplayer until I’ve finished the campaign. But so far I’m happy with this. 

Oof, sounds like levelling/scaling is broke

Not been playing lately, kinda holding off until I can run it better/the game gets a few more patches

What's interesting is the profile for your character appears to be saved on the client, which means people might end up cheat engineing this anyway. Which would ruin online

Just finished the Campaign, quite enjoyed it to be honest. Captain America is a lot of fun to use, especially when you level up the ability to mutiple chain your shield throws.

Performance wise, it didn’t handle too bad. There was a few bits of slowdown when things got pretty hectic, but not to the level of slowdown I’ve seen on some YouTube videos. Though a lot of the cutscenes had a bit of jank to them, with characters reacting like they’re having a fit. Made me laugh anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Not been playing recently, but apparently I'm not the only one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/10/08/avengers-dips-below-1000-players-on-pc-causing-matchmaking-problems/#112129573a8f

This is why this game needed cross play. It wouldn't fully solve it but right now MP is just about playing with bots.

I'm guessing at this point they will put it out to pasture, I don't think Square have another Realm Reborn in them and peak Avengers hype is surely way past now

Not really surprising that the playerbase is dropping off. I’ve barely played it since finishing the campaign. 

The ‘Endgame’ content isn’t really exciting. It’s annoying how some of the in mission chests can be completely unobtainable depending on what character you select. The loot system isn’t interesting, as none of it is cosmetic. I saved all the in game currency throughout my campaign playthrough, and by the time that was done (and I did all of the side missions), what could I afford in the ingame store? Literally fuck all. So even though “you don’t need to pay for the micro transactions”, to actually earn them in game would take a billion years. 

Is the campaign fun? Definitely. But once that’s done, there’s not much left to keep you going.