passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ghost of a Tale

radiofloyd

I’ve been interested in Ghost of a Tale since it first appeared on Indiegogo in 2013.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale#/

The developer had a background in animated movies and I liked the fact that the game was inspired by books like Redwall. It was eventually released in 2018 on PC and 2019 on consoles, and is apparently coming to Switch too.

The game has come a long way since that original Indiegogo pitch. When I first played it I was surprised that it was predominantly a stealth game, although I suppose it’s not that surprising considering you play as a little mouse.

ss_5653f80eed409870d35dd99753309654d09b4

Fortunately the stealth is not that punishing, it’s pretty easy to escape from the rat guards if they do see you. I know later in the game there are enemies like spiders (yay) who I assume will be faster, so that might be more difficult. It’s a surprisingly meaty game, I’m guessing closer to 20 hours than 10. There are plenty of things to collect and secrets to find. Exploration is fun and a little bit reminiscent of Dark Souls. The world and graphics are definitely the strongest elements of the game.

ss_3837cdc8ac09d05edcfb01c5c9eba3b495bd2

These screenshots are taken from the dark opening area, but there are bright areas in the game too, and it has a day night cycle. All in all, fairly impressive for a 3D adventure game developed on a modest budget.

• 2 weeks later...

About 9 hours into this now, I really like it. It’s a game that respects your intelligence and doesn’t hold your hand. The game world is smartly designed, it’s large enough to reward exploration but not overwhelming, and full of connecting paths and shortcuts a la Dark Souls. It’s interesting that this game never gets mentioned in Souls-like discussions. Of course the game has no combat (not really), but it’s definitely taken a lot of ideas from Dark Souls, and applied them well to a different style of game.

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours in now, the final large expanse of land that was blocked off for me for a long time is unlocked now. I’d like to see the original maps for this game showing how everything links together, it’s impressive. Everything about the game is impressive - how they’ve created a world that is big but not too big, the amount of quests in the game and how the quests link together, more than anything just the fact that they had a cool idea and managed to bring that idea to life and make a great game out of it.

Finished after 23 hours, although the in-game clock said 15 hours. I think the Steam time is definitely closer to the truth.

I already more or less said the things I like about it. It was a pleasant surprise, bigger, more interesting and original than i thought it would be, with one of the most fun game worlds to explore since the original Dark Souls. I’d love to see what they could do with a bigger budget. 8.5/10