passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Carrion

regemond

Honestly, surprised there's no thread for this yet.

I've put a few hours into this since Friday, and you know what? It's fucking fantastic.

It's a metroidvania in every way, maybe a little bit more linear than normal, but it subverts the traditional hero storyline by making you the bad guy. And it's so fucking refreshing.

You play as this weird... Form thingy. Movement feels really smooth, if a little cumbersome at first, but there's no jumping, there's no unreachable ledges, you just slide through each screen, and once you get the hang of it it feels so satisfying.

You slowly accumulate more and more powers, your size grows as you play through the game, and it brings lots of little elements in that are plenty of fun.

The art style is incredible too. The sci-fi side reminds me of Alien 3 on SNES, the animation and artwork of the enemies (so the good guys in this case) is very much like Another World, the world created is just so impressive.

It's one of the few games I've played recently where my mind has just hit that point of 'i need to fucking play this'. It's an outstanding idea, and as someone who doesn't normally like Devolver games, it's an absolute credit to their portfolio.

Like I said earlier, I think they don't give any signposting to make it feel bigger than it actually is. I ended up finishing it with only a little bit of getting lost - have you come across any rooms that were blocked off by a locked gate but there was a human near a switch? You'll be relying on that a little bit in the near future.

I definitely felt like I could have done with a map at the beginning, but then after a while I felt it was leading me naturally to the next area. Then at the end I needed to go to a specific place, and could have done with a map because I couldn't remember where it was (it was only a couple of screens away in the end).

I liked it a lot, the creature's movement was creepy but fun, and the various powers were all entertaining. I enjoyed the puzzle solving a lot, there were a few 'encounters' where you had to clear a screen of drones/enemies before the doors to the next section would open, and those weren't so fun.

Over all, a a really good experience and didn't outstay it's welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

i finished this the other day, not totally sure what i think of it, i played it in short sessions so it took me a while to finish, in some ways it's great, like it's a really cool idea and the puzzles are fun. As Craymen says some of the fighting bits were not great. and i didn't get too lost till the end where i knew i'd get lost and did, used a guide to get to the end and it was still annoying. the puzzles were generally good but i didn't like having to change size to access certain abilities, it didn't seem to add anything to the puzzles and just added annoyance for me. overall it was pretty good though, and something a bit different.

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d give this a go and ended up finishing it in one sitting. I loved it. Fantastic visual design and the creature just felt great to move around. Although it did feel like random flailing at times when trying to interact and during battles, but the game is mostly pretty lenient and doesn’t punish too hard for fucking things up. 

I really had no issues at all without a map. Pretty surprised it was such a big deal for people. It always seemed to be pretty obvious where you needed to go next and pretty much sign posted every door you unlocked. All areas were smartly designed and when you’d finish the few puzzle rooms then it would give you a shortcut to the door you just opened. All felt pretty linear really even though it gives you open areas. 

Only time I personally felt I needed a map was when I decided to get all containment units for the achievement. Which was my own doing and not necessary to complete the game. 

I did find having to constantly shrink and grow in red pools slightly annoying during  some of the later puzzles but not enough to put me off playing. 

Great game. Another Game Pass banger I may not have played otherwise. 

• 11 months later...