passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ghost of Tsushima

bellow

I'm so involved in this now. The side quests are off the charts, massive multi tiered adventures with real characters, struggling with real conflicts as they try to balance their culture of honour with the shame of being conquered.

Right off the bat you're given two mighty (seemingly optional) questlines that are so richly written and acted I actually forgot that I'd been neglecting the main story for hours on end. So much to do. So much blood to spill and honour to satisfy.

Thank God for the occasional hot spring skinny dip to restore a bit of the old Zen.

I've opened up the northern part of Tsushima and have levelled my skills up nicely, swapping between the four stances to take down whatever's thrown my way. And a lot is being thrown ?

I've also noticed the Mongols are getting more vicious, lighting up their swords and arrows, or coming at me with multi layered attacks that ruin my honourable footwork. Bastards.

I've been playing this everyday since it came out and I don't think I'm anywhere near finishing. It's an absolutely massive adventure with some of the best written characters I've encountered in a videogame. Of course I'm not qualified to say how well the Samurai codes of 13th century Japan are being addressed here, but I can buy into it just due to the earnestness of the presentation.

Plus I've watched enough Kurosawa to know they've managed to pitch that other-worldly feel quite well, where a faulty utterance or a seemingly benign gesture can mean dishonour or shame.

Plus, if you stick with it for the long haul you will come to see one of the best combat systems around fleshed out to almost impossible depths, where switching stances for different enemy types becomes second nature, and parries and dodges get massive payoffs in the upgrades. 

It's great. All round. 

Absolutely loving this game. I've been playing for a couple of hours everyday since Friday & I've just finished Act 1.  The story is engaging & really enjoy the combat. 

The side quests & other activities just seem to make sense & you come across them quite naturally. 

Also this game is stunning, I've never used photo mode so much. 

PS_Messages_20200731_150436.jpg

PS_Messages_20200731_150431.jpg

PS_Messages_20200731_150457.jpg

Closing in on the endgame, I think. My mission journal is a long list of completed 'tales' (that's what they call questlines here) and the game is strongly hinting at an impending finale.

I don't know if there's a twist on the way, but I won't mind a simple conclusion, anyway. This has been the greatest experience I've had on PlayStation, and if it been a launch title on ps5 and looked and played like this I can't imagine a single justifiable complaint.

I was really interested in this in the lead up with the footage that was released and the words used to describe it but after watching it I’m glad I held off. It looks pretty generic gameplay wise, none of the stories are true/no actual Japanese events used and the look of it comes across as comical at times with the amounts of leaves flying about.

I couldn’t believe it had missions of hiding in bushes while you followed someone who would occasionally stop and look around.

I expected more from this. Looks like it could be ok for the most part but I’ll not be expecting any game changing moments.

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

I couldn’t believe it had missions of hiding in bushes while you followed someone who would occasionally stop and look around.

Mightn't be the game for you but, in its defence, it is advertised as primarily a stealth game (although you can actually go full Samurai). But if creeping around in bushes and on rooftops isn't your thing, you're probably right to give it a wide berth.

Well, this is really bloody good. I’m still on Act 1, as I’ve been doing pretty much every side quests I’ve come across. The combat is brilliant. I just love approaching an encounter, holding triangle to insta-kill some muppet, then destroying the rest of them. 

A lock on feature would have been nice, as there’s times where combat can get a bit chaotic. But that’s pretty much the only negative I can think of at this point.

There’s definitely a significant  amount of content here. I’ve finished all of the Mythic tales, liberated the entire island. And I’ve still got a ton of stuff to do to get the Platinum. From completing all of the side missions, to finding all of the collectibles. It does help that there are ? Icons throughout the map, so you have an idea of where a particular item is. That definitely beats wandering around aimlessly. 

Getting the Platinum isn’t going to be difficult, just time consuming. Fortunately it’s been so much fun to play, that I’m fine with that.