passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

CrossCode

spatular

So this looks like a top down rpg with snes style graphics, bit like a 2D zelda game but with twin stick shooter combat, and also with punching and blocking. and it's also a fake mmo game.

it's sort of great, i really like the puzzles in the dungeons, and environmental puzzles in the towns and other areas, although they can be a bit convoluted sometimes. the puzzles are a lot of firing stuff that bounces off walls, moving blocks, switches, elemental powers, jumping, lots of jumping, stuff like that, they're very well done, although the dungeons go on a bit too long. the puzzles sometimes require really tight timings too which can be frustrating but there's a slider to make it easier and give yourself more time. it looks and sounds good too. 

there are problems though, the layout of some of the areas/towns are super complicated, which makes for interesting puzzles for how to get some pickups etc, but for example last night i just wanted to get to somewhere to start the next part of the main quest and i'd been there before and was told where to go but it still took maybe 20 mins of randomly wandering around to find, and handing in quests in certain towns, even though you usually get a description of the area, can take ages to find whoever gave you the quest. the map is not great. you can fast travel mind but only to certain places.

and the combat is a bit of a mixed bag for me, it can be fun sometimes but can be pretty hard and annoying too, there are assists to make it easier - which i maxed out and still found the second level boss really hard. so not sure i'll be able to finish it if it keeps getting much harder.

also you don't have to grind much to level up enough if you fight pretty much every enemy you see (although maybe i should to make the combat easier) - i didn't do this at the start and kept being asked are you sure you want to do this, you need to prepare more.

i think it's been out for a few years on pc, and been on pc gamepass for a while, but it's recent console release, and that it's supposed to be good, got me to give it a go - i'm playing on pc gamepass.

thought it would be reasonably short and i'd be able to finish it before origami mario but i was wrong, apparently it's 40 to 80 hours if you do optional stuff. i'm about 18 hours in. still enjoying it so i'll try and stick at it and finish it if it doesn't get too difficult.

there's a news thread with some videos here:

https://www.mfgamers.net/index.php?/topic/42274-crosscode/

edit - forgot another problem - the graphics make working out what level you're on and if you can jump to somewhere or not quite difficult which can lead to a lot of trial and error.

still playing this, 30 hours in, not much to add except except the dungeons get a lot shorter, which is probably for the better as the first few are really long. the puzzles are still really good. and the combat if anything has got easier, maybe i'm over leveled.

finished this last night, overall it was really good, the puzzles are great, i liked the exploring and the story too, and it's occasionally quite funny. maybe a bit too long mind, and i didn't really engage with the combat properly, although sometimes it was fun, the last boss fight is stupidly long. and the resource gathering and trading is annoying but i pretty much ignored that part of the game. after struggling to beat the second dungeon boss even with all the assists on, by the end of the game i had loads of armor with health regen, and left the assists on so was nearly impossible to kill.

i think there's supposed to be some post game content patched in at at some point.