passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Deadly Premonition 2

radiofloyd

I played the first couple of hours of this and I’m glad to be back in this weird world. The game opens at the glacial pace of something like Stein’s Gate, with a very long conversation in the present day, before transitioning to the past (and another long conversation) and then you can finally control York. And that’s as far as I’ve played. 

The game’s cut scenes have a kind of cel-shaded style which I don’t remember being in the first game, but I could be wrong. Anyway I’m glad to be playing another Deadly Premonition game, eight years after I played the first.

Yeah, the cel-shaded style is new.

I only had half an hour before work to give this a try, I never got out of the opening conversation.

First impressions aren’t great. I didn’t enjoy having to press a button to move the conversation going at every step. A character will say one word and then won’t move on till you’ve pressed the button. Then they say a whole sentence, press a button. Then say some more words, press a button. Then it’s the turn of the other character to speak. It’s weird.

Hopefully there’s an option somewhere to change that.

I’m about 5 hours in and I’ve been taking this at a very leisurely pace. It’s an easy game to play for an hour at a time because it autosaves regularly. The fact that conversations require an action prompt to continue kind of suits me because i can stop at any time if I’m distracted by my phone, and I don’t miss anything. So far it’s been an enjoyable game with interesting characters. 

As far as performance goes, the game is perfectly playable. I haven’t experienced combat but I’ve skateboarded through the city and while the bad frame rate is obvious, it isn’t headache inducing or anything like that.