passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us Part II

DisturbedSwan

Made a start on this last night, got about 2 hours in. Not much has happened so far but I do not want to give anything away at all about this game so will put all of this in Spoilers:

Spoiler

Wow. It’s no surprise but I’m just so incredibly impressed with it already, the acting in just the opening cutscene alone is a cut above almost all games out there, it’s fucking crazy.

It’s safe to say the beginning is much more sedate and less of an emotional gut punch than the first game, it definitely eases you back into the world rather than the shock and awe tactics of TLOU1.

It picks off right after the events of 1 whilst in Tommy’s camp in Wyoming, after a few cutscenes and a bit of exposition there’s a time skip and you’re right into Ellie’s boots in modern day.

The beginning is actually weirdly similar to RDR2. You start off playing on a horse and then as Ellie get shown through Tommy’s camp. Getting introduced to some of the local characters and seeing some of the market stalls in this snowy small town that looks straight out of a Western is just great. It just has such a nice jolly atmosphere to it. 

Events take place after the Winter Dance trailer from E3 2018, you don’t actually see the Dance in game which is an amazing touch I find, love it when trailers add a greater context to the game itself.

Everything just feels so well choreographed and written. As mentioned previously the acting/voice acting is superb, sometimes it seems video game characters shout a bit to emphasise their point or get you to do something in terms of the plot but here there’s a softness to the way the actors deliver their lines that’s just so much more real and nuanced.

It’s just such a great game to see in motion. Everything feels like such a well choreographed ballet or something, the way everything fits together perfectly. The world in combination with the characters in combination with you, all so well directed and written.

Hardly any combat in those first two hours aside from a snowball fight ? but from the enemies I did encounter it seems very similar to the first game, it’s just you don’t need Shivs now thankfully.

I will say I don’t find the graphics as impressive as I thought I would. They are still extraordinary but don’t look a whole lot more advanced than U4.

Needless to say I’m very impressed. I honestly couldn’t put it down, if I could’ve stayed awake I would’ve happily played it all through the night.

Played about the same amount I think. I'm not going to share any thoughts on story stuff even in spoiler blocks because I know a lot already.

Visually I do think there's a bit of a gulf between cutscene and in-game, I know TLOU1 pre-rendered its cutscenes with the in-game engine and I feel that could be happening here too maybe. I'm playing in 1080p on a 1440p monitor though which is a horrible way to play because nothing scales quite right.

I put a stream of my gameplay in the twitch thread. So far kinda feels like the first one to me.

I played some more. Much better impressions on second run I'd say but it is a very cinematic sort of environment story telling type game. It's not a 'video game ass video game' as Maf says sometimes. Maybe that changes but yeah

A weird thing about this game which I thought was due to my unoptimal audio visual set up but I've seen others mention it. There is a shit load of film grain on all the time. It's like Mass Effect 1, but you can't turn it off. I don't hate the effect but I do wonder why you can't turn it off.

I can't see that film grain thing, but I'm on just a normal 1080p telly (I think I am, anyway - these things go over my head).

I do notice a bit of an unexpected downshift in the overall graphics from what I saw in RDR2. I rode thru the big city in that game and could easily have thought I was watching film of a horse riding thru a city. Not so here, but well good enough for me.

Managed about half an hour, up to the 

Spoiler

Snowball fight

The game handles well. Smooth as silk, in fact. Can't wait to get a full session later. And @Maryokutai was right. It does look like Ellie, after all.

4 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Up that surround sound volume my man ?

Great idea in theory, but you shouldn't have to put a TV to 40 volume just to hear dialogue over the jet engine console that's playing a game.

Genuinely one thing I adore for Xbox over PS4 is literally everything I've played has been whisper quiet. Even Fortnite sends my PS4 Pro into overdrive.

45 minutes ago, regemond said:

Great idea in theory, but you shouldn't have to put a TV to 40 volume just to hear dialogue over the jet engine console that's playing a game.

Genuinely one thing I adore for Xbox over PS4 is literally everything I've played has been whisper quiet. Even Fortnite sends my PS4 Pro into overdrive.

With my normal TV speakers I don’t have to turn my TV up to anywhere near that level but I get your point.

People complained all last gen about the 360 being noisy and it never affected me either, I’m just nonplussed about ‘noisy’ consoles really. I’ve not heard my Pro once since I started TLOUP2 because I’ve had headphones on. 

Is that the one that’s the same as the PSX 2016 announcement trailer @DANGERMAN ? 

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

How loud are your headphones tho Blakey? Tinnitus is a thing some of us have and dont want to make worse.

I’ve no idea to be honest, I haven’t altered the volume on them in ages.