passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Timed Exclusive Debate

DisturbedSwan

The point about a console being sellable is not a bonus to me. I’m just saying clearly that’s the strategy. And I’m ok that they do it. I don’t get anything out of that I was just saying the focus is always on “Keep it off theirs” instead of “Get it on ours”. 

No one needs to see gaming as a competition but like it or not they are business rivals and this is what it comes down to. Who sold the most units, who has the more powerful hardware, who won E3, who has the best subscription service, who has the best games. I don’t know. Who has the best controller. And now because the nature of business timed exclusivity has become apart of that. Even if the value to the customer in that is only in the short term it’s now apart of that and I don’t think it’s the best thing about games but I like that they try.

I don’t care about every facet of the competition either but I do like seeing healthy competition especially around the idea of the games them selves and who is getting me the best bang for my buck. If I only had a Playstation and Playstation nailed down all of these timed exclusives then that would be them. As a customer I feel like I benefit from that. As much as then one group doesn’t get to play a game for a year. I don’t know. I just don’t feel bad about that. Maybe because I’m lucky enough to own both but also that’s just the way of things. Xbox should try harder (In this scenario).

@DANGERMAN No worries, dude. But I’m just going to have to dive out of this because as much as I’m not trying to dissuade people I also just don’t feel like I can either get what I’m trying to say across clearly enough or people just really not in to hearing it which is fine. I just disagree. 

10 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

In Japan yeah. It’s not coming out simultaneously on PS5 though when it’s releasing Day 1 on XSX in the West so it’s obviously a Next-Gen Timed Exclusive for them ?‍♀️

By that logic Cyberpunk is a timed XSX exclusive as well.

Yakuza comes out at the end of the year for PS4, Xbox One and PC. As the Xbox version supports smart delivery, it will also be playable on XSX and probably look a tad prettier or something. Just because Sony doesn't have a similar feature doesn't mean it's timed exclusive to Xbox. In fact I'd be surprised if it didn't run on PS5, too, because the series is a big hit in Japan in particular and Sony stated they wanted to make the popular game backwards compatible first. There is no proper next-gen version of the game that could be exclusive to a certain system.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

By that logic Cyberpunk is a timed XSX exclusive as well.

Yakuza comes out at the end of the year for PS4, Xbox One and PC. As the Xbox version supports smart delivery, it will also be playable on XSX and probably look a tad prettier or something. Just because Sony doesn't have a similar feature doesn't mean it's timed exclusive to Xbox. In fact I'd be surprised if it didn't run on PS5, too, because the series is a big hit in Japan in particular and Sony stated they wanted to make the popular game backwards compatible first. There is no proper next-gen version of the game that could be exclusive to a certain system.

Nah, not what I’m saying at all. You’re not getting what I’m saying at all.

There is actually an XSX version of Yakuza 7, boxed for XSX yeah? There’s no boxed PS5 version, yeah? On the listed platforms Sega don’t mention PS5 at all, it’s because it’s an XSX timed exclusive. It’s really as simple as that.

The PS4 version will run on PS5, but the next-gen version is still a Timed Exclusive to XSX.

But yeah, whatever man, believe what you want. If Yakuza 7 doesn’t come in a XSX box then I’ll hold my hands up and apologise, but yeah, this is getting a bit too nitpicky even for me so I’m bailing on this for now ?

38 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

On the listed platforms Sega don’t mention PS5 at all, it’s because it’s an XSX timed exclusive. It’s really as simple as that.

Honestly I think you just don't really understand what Smart Delivery actually is. It's basically just an Xbox One game that comes with an Xbox One X and an Xbox Series X patch. It's not an Xbox Series X game. Hence why SEGA doesn't mention PS5 nor XSX as a platform:

spacer.png

Yes, it will be "available on day one on XSX with Smart Delivery" as the marketing guys will tell you. Which in normal language means the XSX patch will be ready at launch and you will be able to continue playing the Xbox One version on the new system.

Okay, so SEGA US doesn't mention XSX and SEGA Europe does. Thank god we managed to clear that up.

We also need to add Cyberpunk to the list of XSX timed exclusives now by the way because that's exactly the same situation.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

So two different SKUs, Blakey is right probably

As far as I can tell it's just one:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Nag said:

That's not really the same thing...

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the one I remember most but it's definitely not the first time it happened.

Technically Tomb Raider's role in this started way earlier when Sony paid off EIDOS to have the series as an exclusive for a couple of years starting with the release of Tomb Raider II. That's why SEGA only got the first one on Saturn and then nothing until Last Revelation on Dreamcast.

And yes, there's a certain irony to that when you look back at what happened with Rise.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

Some interesting titles there. Some, like Cuphead, I wouldn't have necessarily considered a timed exclusive.

I wouldn't consider most of them that. Most of them were made with no real intention of releasing elsewhere but were ported over

I've a feeling Rock & Roll Racing on the Snes was a timed exclusive, I seem to remember it being known that it was eventually coming to the Mega Drive

34 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Most of them were made with no real intention of releasing elsewhere but were ported over

That's what I thought. I vaguely remember reading something to that effect with Cuphead specifically.