passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Demon's Souls

one-armed dwarf

6 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

you are pining for a Code Veronica remaster.

And? I'd like to see what they could do to fix CV. That doesn't mean I can't also think churning out endless remakes is in any way worthwhile.

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

He pre-ordered a PS5 with this game.

Correctly edited. DeS was the only launch title (from the selection available) that interested me. 

1 minute ago, OCH said:

And? I'd like to see what they could do to fix CV. That doesn't mean I can't also think churning out endless remakes is in any way worthwhile.

This...

28 minutes ago, OCH said:

Personally, I see little to no value or merit in remakes at all. Keep moving forward, make new things. Leave the past where it is. The stranglehold of nostalgia over the last few years needs to be cut away.

... And this are the opposite ends of the spectrum.

This is why you got called out, and I'll probably do it again, you're constantly inconsistent.

Remakes just seem like a very personal affair because unless a developer decides to remake one of your own personal favourites it's easy to dismiss it as a waste of time. Because why be interested in the remake of a game you probably consciously decided against playing it when it first came out? I never cared about MediEvil on the PS1 so why get excited about its remake? Would I have been excited if those same people would have taken the same amount of money and remade Skies of Arcadia? Hell yeah I would. I think it's easy to fall into the hypocrisy trap here.

Of course if it's a game you never heard of or were too young to ever play, you might as well consider it a completely new game. I think Demon's souls will be like that for a lot of people. The series only really took off with Dark Souls. Plus Demon's Souls will be 11 years old when the remake releases. That's a lot of time for younger people who've only just gotten into videogames with the current-gen to find an interest in the genre.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon AU: Description

Here is a description from the Amazon Page:

• Experience the original brutal challenge, completely remade from the ground up. All presented in stunning visual quality with enhanced performance, this is the world of Boletaria as you have never seen it before.
  • Venture to the northern kingdom of Boletaria – a once prosperous land of knights, now beset with unspeakable creatures and ravenous demons. Meet strange characters, unhinged and twisted by the world around them, and unravel the unsettling story of Demon’s Souls.
  • Perfect and hone your skills in combat – know when to push forward and when to bide your time, as with each missed swing and careless mistake, you risk losing the very souls you’ve worked so hard to collect. The rewards for slaying the strongest foes are immense though, and death does not mean the end – it’s just another state of being.
  • With online invasions adding to the danger of your quest. Or play cooperatively by summoning allies to aid in your fight against the demons.
  • Active PS Plus subscription required for online multiplayer.

If it's launch then I'm sad I'll be giving it a swerve. PS5 might be cheaper than buying a new video card but actually taking advantage of these new machines means getting a hdmi 2.1 capable screen. Doubt they'll be offering me a DP connection to my high hz monitor and I doubly doubt they will support 1440p.

5 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

With online invasions adding to the danger of your quest. Or play cooperatively by summoning allies to aid in your fight against the demons.

In spite of being on a new machine, I hope playing offline is still a feature. As I dislike invasions interfering with my game.

Invasions are like anything else online. It sucks when they don’t go your way but you feel good when you get invaded and kill them back. These games are all about danger from the unknown and nothing in these games is more dangerous than another player. Online really elevates these games in every way. 

Storytime: When I beat The Final Boss (in the original) it sends you straight to NG+. I had 250k Souls. Which are a lot harder to come by in DeS, than the Dark games. Because they throw you right back to the beginning, you can't actually spend those Souls until you beat the first boss. 3-4 rooms away from the boss, I get the invasion sign flash up. I decide this is unacceptable and go into the PS3 menu. Manually turn off PSN and scratch one nuisance.

I don't play Souls for the online extras. I play it for the single player experience. 

Yep.

I mean play it how you want but even though it’s online it’s still a single player game. Just every now and then they charge a shot of electric through it and it’s like “Oh fuck”. It’s exciting. 

I don't think I've ever being properly invaded in these games other than once in Dark Souls II. DSI has a bunch of NPC invasions which drop stuff with critical lore, don't know if you see them offline

It's also kinda justified by the lore and story, the invasions I mean. There's an entire plot in DS1 about taking revenge on a guy who invaded your world and killed a firekeeper. It's like there is this method of gathering humanity/souls (being a dick) and another method (being helpful) but it's not a binary good/bad decision either cause the narrative choices in those games don't really paint a pretty picture of either side. I mean killing a firekeeper is kinda dickish but maybe the fire should be left go out anyway is what I'm saying

Anyway the consequence of dying in Souls isn't even that bad, you just go back to where you died and get your souls anyway most of the time.

Here we have a classic case of someone that doesn't want the bubble of being good at games being popped. Get online, get banged and finally get better. 

Or be a little warrior telling us how you do this and that without any way to substantiate it because you've not gone toe to toe with the true obstructions in the game.

?‍♂️

In my view Souls is a single player RPG. The rest of it, from Invasions and summoning to PvP is just a gimmick. The exciting part for me, is overcoming the challenge presented in the game. If they could have dropped that component in favour of the Broken Archstone being fixed or Oolacile being a part of the base game of DS1, that would have been infinitely preferable.

8 minutes ago, Nag said:

With your intense hatred of online @OCH... you're a MK fan, have you only ever played that locally and against the cpu?

It's not hatred, it is indifference. I've only ever played a fighting game online twice. Once was a Dragonball Z game on the Wii. That was soon abandoned as the lag was atrocious.

The second time was playing MvC3 vanilla at launch. It paired me up against a Japanese player, if memory serves. It wasn't fun. Again, it crashed a lot.

7 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Here we have a classic case of someone that doesn't want the bubble of being good at games being popped.

I haven't been good at games for a long time. I finish them because I persevere. So it isn't about something as superficial as ego.