passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PC Engine / Turbo GFX Mini

DANGERMAN

As a few of us have bought these I thought I'd start a thread for the whole thing than individual games

Full list of games via Kotaku:

Spoiler

Air Zonk

Alien Crush

Blazing Lazers

Bomberman ‘93

Bonk’s Revenge

Cadash

Chew-Man-Fu

Dungeon Explorer

J.J. & Jeff

Lords Of Thunder

Military Madness

Moto Roader

Neutopia

Neutopia II

New Adventure Island

Ninja Spirit

Parasol Stars

Power Golf

Psychosis

R-Type

Soldier Blade

Space Harrier

Splatterhouse

Victory Run

Ys Book I&II

And the remaining 32-game, Japanese-language lineup of PC Engine games coming to Konami’s retro console:

Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo

Aldynes

Appare! Gateball

Bomberman ’94

Bomberman Panic Bomber

Chō Aniki

Daimakaimura

Dragon Spirit

Dungeon Explorer

Fantasy Zone

Galaga ’88

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

Gradius

Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō –

Jaseiken Necromancer

Nectaris

Neutopia

Neutopia II

Ninja Ryūkenden

PC Genjin

Salamander

Seirei Senshi Spriggan

Snatcher

Spriggan Mark 2

Star Parodier

Super Darius

Super Momotarō Dentetsu II

Super Star Soldier

The Genji and the Heike Clans

The Kung Fu

The Legend of Valkyrie

Ys I・II

I've not played a huge amount of the games ye. I played a bit of Space Harrier, which I've never been a huge fan of, I'm also terrible at it so there's that. I don't really need another version of it, I'm not sure this is the best version of it either, it's fine, not a terrible port, but the 3DS version is probably where I'd go to play this

I played some Star Parodier. I like the Sexy Parodius games a lot and I think this is the genesis of that (I might be wrong, I haven't looked it up). It's a bit of a strange schmup in that it's very empty for a while, it doesn't seem to explain its rules at all (pick a power-up colour and stick with it seems to be the route to take). It's a bit of a procession until you get hit, then I've found all my lives will vanish within a minute. I like what I've played though and I'll go back to it.

I've never played Spriggan before, Spriggan appears to be pretty fucking cool. It's a side scrolling schmup, your hit box is too big and it's very easy to take damage. There's also more powerful, but limited, weapons if you go in to the pause menu but I've not used them yet, not sure if they're best saved or not but it is a bit fiddly. The thing that makes it cool is it has the proper dramatic betrayal story line running through it. Shame it's in Japanese, but I can see that I would have loved this back in the day.

My favourite game so far is Chew Man Fu. It's an action puzzle game where you have to roll coloured balls on to matching plates. It looks a bit like a zoomed in Bomberman in terms of perspectives, with walls that can be smashed through. You can twat the balls at enemies to clear them off the stage and get items like Pac-Man, they come back after 10 seconds or so. All against a time limit. It's cool, really enjoying this one and making the most of the save states with it

played this loads, but just a few mins here and there on loads of different games so not really got stuck into anything yet - so just initial impressions on a few games:

9 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

My favourite game so far is Chew Man Fu.

that one seemed pretty cool but i had a problem where moving the ball round an up -> right corner didn't work very well which kept getting me killed, not sure if it could be a problem with my pad? although the pad seems realy nice for everything else, hard to judge too well because of the fast movement in most of the games, but i can get annoyed playing shmups with anything other than a saturn pad, but this one seemed good to me.

blazing lazers i played the most not sure it's that great but it's sort of easy if you don't get hit and hard if you do because it puts you back to a checkpoint, the levels take ages and you lose powerups, there's a few games that are similar to this one on there, like supar star soldier and star parodier. i got pretty far on my first go, level 5 but then things went down hill. 

rtype i'm not a big fan of but this does at least seem like a nice version.

had a go of an easy mode on one of the bonk games and it was pretty fun. a lot of then games have really nice bright pixel art.

soldier blade seemed alright but quite difficult.

sapphire i think is really rare/expensive so i wanted to give that a go, it was really hard, not sure if it was any good, mainly because the first ship seemed far too slow to dodge stuff, tried the 2nd ship which was much better.

played darius on the megadrive mini and darius gaiden recently, 1cc'd both, autofire does make them much easier mind, so thought i'd do ok on this one but it seemed much harder than those and i couldn't even get to the first stage boss!

lords of thunder seemed alright, pretty hard though.

played one where you are some kind of ninja and pickups get you clones of yourself following you around, and a bit like some of the shmups you seem super powerful but are screwed when you die.

going to play some more games tomorrow and then try and stick with one for a bit. overall i like the mini console so far, it's cool because i never had one before and only played a few of the games breifly before.