passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sega News

DANGERMAN

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

After a “Cease and Desist” letter from SEGA, Grayfox Books releases The Mega Book Collection Digital for free

Darren Doyle from Greyfox Books has announced today that his book about the SEGA Mega Drive is available for free as a downloadable PDF. Although this alone is good news for all Mega Drive (and Genesis!) fans, the reason Doyle decided this route is unfortunate, to say it lightly.

After publishing “Atari: a Visual History” and “Coin-Op: The Arcade Guide“, Grayfox Books wanted to create a similar book dedicated to the SEGA Megadrive. Back in 2021, they created a Kickstarted campaign aiming to publish the new book as a physical copy. Still, at some point during the process, the initiative caught SEGA lawyers’ attention, and Greyfox Books were notified that they should stop the project through a Cease and Desist notification. I am no lawyer, but I think there is no merit in this request; but like most Retro Gaming projects that are made out of love and are usually not profitable, who would have the resources to fight back? I imagine Darren had the same thinking and decided to give up simply.

Thankfully, Doyle had his heart in the right place and thought that although he couldn’t sell the book, nothing would prevent him from letting the community enjoy his work for free.

The Mega Book Collection is a Digital PDF Book containing over 290 pages (full colour) to celebrate the incredible 16-bit Sega generation across three of their famous Sega Megadrive addons in one great visual opus. The Sega Megadrive, The Sega MegaCD addon and the Sega 32x addon. Also in the book, you can read about an exclusive interview with “Chris Shrigley” founding member of Core Design, along with a main feature covering the company’s Sega Megadrive days.

In his recent announcement, Doyle adds: “Please head over to https://www.greyfoxbooks.com/product/mega-book-collection/ to grab yourself a digital copy of this amazing Sega book for use with your mobile, desktop & tablet devices, and please leave a review and let me know what you thought of the book.”

Source 

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/after-a-cease-and-desist-letter-from-sega-grayfox-books-releases-the-mega-book-collection-digital-for-free

The book 

https://www.greyfoxbooks.com/product/mega-book-collection/

• 4 weeks later...

Physical version too apparently 

In a now-deleted post from news outlet ComicBook.com, a ton of details on the heavily rumored Sonic Origins Plus, rated for release in Korea last month, were shared. According to them, it will take the form of a $9.99 USD digital upgrade for owners of Sonic Origins or a $39.99 USD bundle available both physically and digitally. It seems to be set to release on Sonic’s birthday, June 23rd, 2023. Here’s the reported list of everything in the package:

• Main Game
  • 12 Game Gear Games Emulated and Playable in the Museum
  • Classic Amy as a Playable Character in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, and Sonic CD
  • Knuckles as a Playable Character in Sonic CD
  • All Previously Released Sonic Origins DLC
  • 20-Page Artbook (Physical exclusive)
  • Reversible Coversheet with New, Never-Before-Seen Art (Physical exclusive)
[ComicBook.com]

The original Sonic Origins saw no physical release, and it’s not easy to find a place to play the Game Gear Sonic titles outside of the elusive original hardware, so this could be an exciting release for fans of the blue blur. I’m sure we’ll know whether these details are accurate or not sooner than later- when there’s a new update, we’ll be sure to share

https://gonintendo.com/contents/17936-rumor-sonic-origins-plus-coming-june-23rd-with-a-physical-release-to-include-all-12

Have pre-ordered the Physical Edition of Origins Plus at GAME, will pre-order somewhere else if/when they become available. Didn't pick this up when it came out last year.

Can't believe GAME charge £5 for postage, absolute shit cunts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not sure if anyone still plays on their phone /tablet on here, I know I don't, but there's a new 3d Sonic game coming to Apple Arcade (that still exists) 

Sega has announced Sonic Dream Team, a new 3D platformer releasing exclusively to Apple Arcade.

Players will take control of one of six characters - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, or Cream (where's Shadow?!) - as they explore a "bizarre world of dreams".

Each character has unique abilities as they explore 3D levels to take on Eggman, as always. Check out the trailer below.

Sonic Dream Team - Announce Trailer

As you can see, the levels are bright and colourful, featuring all the typical jumping, ring collecting, and grinding you would expect from a Sonic adventure. And that's on top of some imposing bosses like a giant crab and Eggman robot.

I'm just intrigued to see how this will all control via touch screen.

https://www.eurogamer.net/new-3d-platformer-sonic-dream-team-announced-by-sega

The number is ridiculous so I did some checking and it seems to be the case:

Utsumi also commented: “We are also making steady headway in development of the ‘Super Game’ that we are seeking to create in the medium to long term. As the name implies, a ‘Super Game’ involves the concept of a game that stands head and shoulders above normal games.

“I encourage stakeholders to look forward to the fruit of our efforts, which include R&D to create a game that builds a whole worldview involving the entire gaming ecosystem, including not only players but also streamers who stream the game and their viewers”.

In November 2021, Sega said it would consider investing up to ¥100 billion (then $882 million) over the next five years to achieve its Super Game ambitions.

😬 

I hope they have some Sonic films and more Yakuza games to pick up the slack.