passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sega News

DANGERMAN

so, the big news isn't that Sega are putting out the Xbox, it's that they're doing Game Gear Micro. But doing them in the weirdest way possible

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/3/21278895/sega-game-gear-micro-games-list-price-magnifying-glass?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Sega has now revealed full details of its just-announced Game Gear Micro portable console — or, I should say, consoles. It turns out that the four color variants are different systems each with four different games preloaded, no doubt in an attempt to drive collectors to buy them all.

Here’s what you get on each.

img_black.png

The black model comes with:

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Out Run
  • Royal Stone

img_blue.png

The blue variant includes:

• Sonic Chaos
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sylvan Tale
  • Baku Baku Animal

img_yellow.png

The yellow Game Gear Micro has:

• Shining Force Gaiden: Ensei – Jashin no Kuni he
  • Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
  • Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
  • Nazopuyo Aruru no Ru

img_red.png

And the red version is preloaded with:

• Revelations: The Demon Slayer
  • Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
  • The GG Shinobi
  • Columns

The hardware itself is 80mm x 43mm x 20mm with a 1.15-inch display. There’s a single mono speaker and a headphone jack. It charges over USB but can also run off two AAA batteries.

img_01.jpg

You may be wondering how exactly you’re meant to play games on a 1.15-inch display, which makes the Game Boy Micro’s 2-inch panel sound huge by comparison. Well, if you’re willing to drop 27,255 yen (~$250) on a pack of all four consoles, Sega is including a mini version of its Big Window magnifying-glass accessory.

bwm.jpg

Remember, this is the same company that released non-functional plastic Sega CD and 32X add-ons for the Mega Drive Mini. What more appropriate way to celebrate its 60th anniversary?

The Game Gear Micro consoles are all available to preorder now in Japan for 4,980 yen (~$50) individually and will ship on October 6th. No word yet on a Western release.

I sort of want one, if the screen was bigger and all the games were on each one. There’s enough room on there to make the screen a lot bigger, it wouldn’t look like a gamegear as much which is obviously more important than usability. Maybe enough people will ridicule this idea so much that they’ll change it like they did for the mega drive mini.

Reading the story back -

"Each mini Gamegear is ¥4,980 and comes in four colour variations: black, blue, red, and yellow. Each colour contains four different games, but you can pick up the complete set for ¥29,980, which also contains a ‘Big Window’ magnifying glass you can stick on the front to see the screen better."

So you're paying way more for the set of four, than for four individual ones, meaning the magnifier adds ¥10000 to the price?!?! Something (else) seems a whole bunch of crazy there.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/03/sega-announces-new-console-60th-anniversary-game-gear-micro-12797079/

46 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I think Craymen summed it up perfectly. It’s one of those “someone got paid for that idea???” moments.

Yeah completely agree. Can’t see the point of them, it reminds me of this gif:

0EE17C25-F810-426C-96EA-FF57FE343949.gif

How the fuck would you see anything on that screen? Total shite.

I don't think whoever dreamed up that one, got the memo that since the Game Gear, every handheld and portable device screen actually got bigger. Even the Gameboy Micro was a one-off, that Nintendo never repeated.

Turns out the Game Gear wasn't the revolutionary thing Famitsu promised. Instead it's a cloud-service for Arcade machines or something like that: http://segabits.com/blog/2020/06/03/famitsu-sega-reveals-revolutionary-arcade-fog-gaming-service/

Which makes more sense to be honest. Arcades are still a big deal in Japan (and really important for SEGA) so if someone manages to shake things up there that might actually be called a revolution. For us this is only the butterfly though, not the hurricane.

3 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Turns out the Game Gear wasn't the revolutionary thing Famitsu promised. Instead it's a cloud-service for Arcade machines or something like that: http://segabits.com/blog/2020/06/03/famitsu-sega-reveals-revolutionary-arcade-fog-gaming-service/

I actually really hope they bring that over here. I’d love to just be able to dip into some arcade classics that never got released on consoles, aren’t accessible anymore or had terrible ports. Like Daytona 2, Scud Race, Sega Rally etc. I’d obvious prefer a proper ports to console I could download instead but failing that this would have to do. 
Im sure they could do some interesting things with leaderboards through it too and hold events.