passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Silent Hill f

DisturbedSwan

Posted bits of info on this in the Random News thread over the past month or so but thought it deserved its own thread.

April info:

Original info from KatharsisT of ResetEra

The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months.

Dusk Golem Weighs in

To my understanding, the situation is a bit of a unique one. Toyama has good standing in the company because he's polite, professional, talented, and can do a lot with meager budgets. That said, neither the Siren or Gravity Rush games set the world on fire, they did make back money but neither were smash-out hits. Toyama wants to do another horror game, and Sony is completely fine with that, but if it was a new Siren game or a new IP, the actual budget would have to be on the slimmer side due to past performance indicating while both will do fine, neither would probably break out of a niche.

So enter in Konami about two years ago hunting for developers to develop two Silent Hill games. I wish I had a better understanding of how talks even began because that's a huge missing piece, but somehow or another Sony had the thought and talked with Konami still looking to fund two SH games that they could get in contact and develop a game. Toyama would be able to make a horror game like he wanted, it'd be behind an IP many would like to see Toyama work on and has more market share than Siren or another new IP does, Konami just want a quality SH game to help their reputation get back on track and been shipping around for the "right pitch". The deal was negotiated in early 2019, Sony Japan Studio is developing it composed of the Siren/Gravity Rush team, but they also contacted a lot of people who worked on Silent Hill previously to help with it, which is why people like Akira and Masahiro Ito are on board as well.

In terms of cost, Sony and Konami are both fitting the bill of development, Sony is making it, Konami gets a share of each copy sold and just partially have to fund development. From Konami's side having a Sony first party studio develop the game, with them only partially funding development and though they receive a smaller percentage cut from sales, they also don't have to pay for marketing or anything so they're cool with it and the quality may help their image. Sony for them I don't think they expect to set the world on fire, but the actual budget is nothing compared to some other games they fund, the budget is even made smaller due to Konami helping out, and this title has more of a chance as a horror game to succeed with the brand recognition and the demand for a good SH game from horror fans than a new Siren or IP maybe would based on past performance. It also helps many at Sony do like Toyama and his team and want to give them a chance to be able to stand out more and gain more recognizability.

I do hear the plan is the game will be revealed this year, (and at this point it's nearing being in development for about a year and a half almost), but it's hard to speak concretely about these things.

I also will add with the SH stuff, I received some word on some other things I'm not sharing which over the course of the next year will confirm or deny to me if what I was shared was true or not ahead of time. Some will feel that's an excuse I have "things that can prove it I can't share", but all I can do for now is be open and honest about it.

New update from Dusk Golem today:

Given the premise to Silent Hill, I don't see the need for a reboot at all? Unless they plan on re-using Harry, James, Heather etc Silent Hill can just carry on as a series, without the need to reset. They stopped using numbering after The Room, so they could just go the Mortal Kombat route and forgo calling it Silent Hill 7/8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, OCH said:

So if it is Kojima Productions, could Silent Hills still happen? ?

I think it could. Part of a theoretical agreement between Kojima, Konami and Sony would surely be that Kojima gets free reign to do what he wants, if all parties agree then I can’t see why Kojima wouldn’t want to make it. 

There were rumours he was in early development of Silent Hills whilst Ito, Toriyama and Yamaoka worked on a Silent Hill reboot at Japan Studio but Toriyama left, Ito said he hasn’t been working on anything but then a lot of developers (particularly in Japan) still work on projects even after they’ve left and started a new company (it’s how The Last Guardian for finished at GenDesign with Ueda) so it’s still not out of the realms of possibility.

Then we get this recent tease by Yamaoka that gets taken down on YT and more rumours surface about Konami working with a ‘prominent Japanese developer’ and it seems to fit. 

And I’ll change my profile pic to one of your choosing for 1 month if there is a Bloober Hills. 

I think if an SH game is being developed it’s by Kojima Productioms now, although at this point I think the whole rumour was a load of horseshit by the looks of it. 

• 1 year later...

More Silent Hill stuff, DMCA-ed stuff in the thread by konami which means this one is real

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-silent-hill-game-details-leaked-dusk-golem-dmca’d-by-konami.583013/

musXmH5.jpg

Gl5U44v.png

5KGXF2j.png

My immediate impression is fixed camera angle stuff like The Medium, though for some reason people are talking about a PSVR2 game in that thread

Sony are involved

• 3 months later...

Bloober Hills 2

https://www.resetera.com/threads/supposedly-first-images-of-the-silent-hill-2-remake-just-leaked.627934/

20220904_090635.jpg

Fby8B4EWQAAmtT3?format=png&name=900x900

Dusk Golem says this is a demo used to make a pitch

Okay, so I'll say this if these are out there. They're real, but they're not even CLOSE to the final product. These are from an internal pitch demo from Bloober before they got greenlit, so its literally a no budget proof of concept thing rather than a final product, just keep that in mind. Out of everything that could've leaked, this isn't actually what the final game looks like.

I mentioned before Konami was looking for pitches in Summer of 2018, this was one of the pitches that got greenlit, but take it for what it is; a proof of concept no budget demo to pitch a concept.