passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gran Turismo 7

DisturbedSwan

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

Wasn’t it always?

So were many other PS5 games which have since been confirmed or have come out on PS4 as well so I’m very happy this has been confirmed now. 

Just need them to say God of War Reboot 2 is PS5 only then we’re all good. 

• 1 month later...

GT Planet: Will be more like classic GT Titles, says Kazunori Yamauchi

Kazunori Yamauchi has again reaffirmed that Gran Turismo 7 will be a main sequence title in the mold of previous games in the series.

The Polyphony Digital studio head was talking to journalist Toshifumi Watanabe for Octane Japan, in an interview published earlier today. While the conversation largely centered on Scapes, there was plenty of time to talk about the PlayStation 5, Gran Turismo 7, and the “royal purpose” of the series too.

One of the questions posed by Watanabe referred to the identity of Gran Turismo, and its future. Although Yamauchi wouldn’t be drawn on the latter part of that, he did make special mention of the influence that Japanese car culture had on the original Gran Turismo, and how that acted as a purpose behind the series.

“I myself grew up as a car enthusiast surrounded by the influence of Japanese automobile manufacturers and the transmission of automobile media,” comments Yamauchi, “and that is also the driving force behind my production. Although the title has been played worldwide, I have never forgotten that it originated in Japan, and now I feel the responsibility and mission of inheriting the Japanese automobile culture.”

Interestingly, Yamauchi acknowledges that fans may not always follow how Gran Turismo games change from generation to generation. That particularly applies to Gran Turismo Sport, and its shift into esport. “It may have seemed quite outlandish for some people!” he remarked, and notes that support for the game grew in a different way to previous titles, gaining more momentum later in its life.

Sport Mode then, as we’ve seen in the Gran Turismo 7 trailer last July, still has a major role to play, but GT7 will be nostalgic for those who played the previous games. “While inheriting elements such as the [FIA] championship realized in Sport, Gran Turismo 7 will return to the royal purpose of full volumes like [Gran Turismo] 1-4, and provide the best Gran Turismo experience at present,” says Yamauchi.

Of course we’ve previously heard that GT7 would be a combination of the “past, present, and future” of Gran Turismo, so this reinforcement comes as music to the ears of those fans of classic GT games.

The interview also covers ground like the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, at which Yamauchi has been a guest judge for 11 years, and the real-time ray-tracing capabilities of PS5. You can read the full article — in Japanese — on the Octane Japan website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yeah, it looks fucking fantastic. 

I've never really 'got' GT like I got Forza but I was way way younger than I am now when I played my last proper GT game (GT5 in 2010). Really into racing/rally games at the moment thanks to Art of Rally and F1 so this will come around at a nice time and hopefully into a nice release window.

A Day 1 for me as long as it doesn't release alongside any other big hitters.

Eurogamer: The Big GT7 Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi

Gran Turismo is back. Not that it's ever been away, of course - Gran Turismo Sport released towards the end of 2017, providing a foundation for a pleasingly modern take on the series with a new focus on online inspired by the likes of iRacing and some strong post-release support.

Now, though, is the time for the first numbered release in the series since 2013, and with that comes a different set of expectations - a proper campaign, a broader car list and a return to the collectathons of old, all of which Gran Turismo 7 looks set to deliver upon.

There's also the promise of returning features and - most excitingly for sim and endurance fans such as myself - the reinstatement of dynamic time and weather conditions to help bring races alive. I was fortunate enough to get 30 minutes of series creator Kazunori Yamauchi's time earlier this week, where I hoped to find more details of what's to come.

It's a pleasure, as ever, to talk to you. After that amazing trailer at the PlayStation showcase last week there's a couple of points I wanted to clarify - firstly about the blog post that stated that GT Cafe will need an online connection.

Kazunori Yamauchi: The requirement for the online connection isn't specific to the Cafe per se - it's just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that's the reason for the online connection.

And just to update on the feature itself, there's two functions to it. One is to direct the user to the next objective meeting, and also to get them to get involved in collecting some of those cars. And the other is, when they come back with the cars they're asked to collect, it gives a little bit of background history for the culture, and the history behind these significant cars that they have added to their collection.

Is there a social side to it? Obviously, car collecting and car culture can be quite a social thing. People love to show off their car collections.

Kazunori Yamauchi: That's something that's going to be possible through the garage - you can open up your garage to other players so that they can show off their collection as well.

Before I move on, I just want to get one final point of clarity on this. GT Sport was a fantastic game and had a big online focus - a lot of people are looking forward to GT7 as having a big campaign which they can play wherever they want. Will it be possible to play the campaign offline?

Kazunori Yamauchi: The online connection is required for the campaign mode. The only part of the game that doesn't require an online connection is the arcade mode, because that has no effect on the save data, so that's possible. But anything that has to do with the save data requires a connection. For example things like the livery data as well - that's something that is downloaded from the online server.

One other point of clarity I wanted to make was about dynamic time and weather, which wasn't a part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Kazunori Yamauchi: In GT7, the time and weather will be moving in real time.

Le Mans' pit straight at various times of days - it seems as if the prospect of watching the sun set and rise during a race is once again back on the cards.

That's great to hear. Tied into that, endurance events will have a new dynamism to them as well. How will those day/night transitions feed into races - will we have more endurance events like Le Mans and the N24, a race you obviously know quite well yourself?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Whether or not we actually implement a full 24 hour race is something we're still deciding on. But the weather simulation is actually a weather simulation, not just a weather change. So it does have an effect on the physics of the game. I think that will be very interesting. And also you can set multiples of the time that it takes from real time to 100 times accelerated, so you don't necessarily need to have a full on endurance race in order for the player to experience those weather changes and how it affects their cars in the track.

That's all good news to me. The recent blog post said something about Gran Turismo having a different approach to the weather system and how it works. I wonder if you could talk through a bit more about how dynamic weather works in Gran Turismo 7 - does it impact track surface temperature, if there's a dynamic track, does it rubber in over the course of an event?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We don't have a system for simulating the amount of rubber that's laid on the track, but we do have a simulation of where the rain would create a level of water over the track. When a car passes over it, it will spray aside, and so the racing lines will dry quicker than the other parts of the track. That's something that is simulated and does affect the grip of the course accordingly as time goes on, and the track begins to dry in different places. The air temperature, the humidity, and then the road surface temperature will also be affected by these weather changes as well.

Having been absent from Gran Turismo Sport, modding and customisation returns in a big way for Gran Turismo 7.

This is a question I've been asking you variants of since Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so apologies you've heard it so many times. I just wanted to know how the damage model has evolved for Gran Turismo 7.

Kazunori Yamauchi: Basically it's the same as in Gran Turismo sport, except how it's expressed is a little bit more improved in comparison.

This is a cross platform game as well, which I imagine is quite a big undertaking. Will PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions have feature parity - will things like the dynamic time and weather be a part of both versions?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Feature wise, they will be the same, but the quality that you'll be seeing will be different.

When it comes to multiplayer, which is obviously a huge part of Gran Turismo Sport, will PS4 and PS5 players be able to play each other?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Yes!

That's good! One last question regarding some of the finer details - are you going to implement VR across the board this time as opposed to the limited cases available in Gran Turismo Sport?

Kazunori Yamauchi: So regarding PSVR, we're not at a state where we cannot talk about it yet.

That's fair enough. It was worth a punt anyway! Obviously this is the first numbered game for quite a while. When did work start on this in earnest? I always got the impression that work on this next numbered title has been going on in the background for quite a while.

Kazunori Yamauchi: It would be right after GT Sport was finished, around the end of 2017.

The campaign map, in very Polyphony style, is intended as a tribute to those who performed grand tours in the 17th century and coined the term 'Gran Turismo'. Don't ever change, Polyphony.

What is it you wanted to express this time? What is it about car culture and about your love of cars that you wanted to get across with Gran Turismo 7?

Kazunori Yamauchi: This time around we really made this Gran Turismo title with a sense of urgency, because compared to 25 years ago there aren't very many leads or ways for people to become car fans anymore. I think Gran Turismo really has a big responsibility in that aspect to create new car fans out of the new generation of kids out there.

With GT Cafe, it really urges you to collect these cars, and teaches you about the cultural backgrounds of these significant cars. We've spent a lot of energy working on that, and the reason for that was to make sure that the kids who are discovering cars for the first time really get to have an opportunity to come into contact with that knowledge.

When it comes to the wider car industry as well, it's probably the most turbulent and also exciting time the industry has faced since the invention of the combustion engine, with alternative fuels and electric cars. How does Gran Turismo sport go about reflecting this exciting time for the automotive industry, and what do you feel are its responsibilities towards that movement?

Kazunori Yamauchi: In regards to Gran Turismo and car culture - car culture is something that has been continuing for the last 150 years or so. It's our mission to preserve these cars in a drivable state in a big museum format. And of course, we include cars like the Taycan and Tesla. But I think our mission first and foremost is to preserve the entirety of this great car culture that we have today for the future generations to come.

Something else you've been at the forefront of is the rise of virtual racing, and with eSports becoming more and more legitimate within the industry. Gran Turismo Sport did such a fantastic job with that - how has that offering evolved?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Everything that was possible to do in Gran Turismo Sport will be possible to do in GT7. But of course we've worked on really improving the usability and also the reliability of the network connection as well.

We can look at the trailers and see how gorgeous it looks, and we see in terms of the features what's in store but one thing we can't tell until we get to play is how it feels. How has the handling model progressed since Gran Turismo Sport?

Of course it wouldn't be a Gran Turismo campaign without licence tests.

Kazunori Yamauchi: So of course the precision of the controls has increased significantly. You'll feel a big difference when you start setting up the vehicles and tuning the cars because you'll really feel a difference in the response of these cars, and I think that in itself is going to be a very enjoyable feature of the game. I think this will make it very fun to drive and it will feel more natural.

On PlayStation 5 there's the DualSense controller as well. How are you going about implementing that?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Things like using the adaptive triggers for recreating the vibrations to the ABS when it's working - gimmicks like that is one thing. What's more important to me is the precision of the controls that the new controller allows. Before there were things that you could only really do with a steering wheel controller, but now you should be able to do everything that you can do on a steering wheel controller with a DualSense controller.

Gran Turismo Sport provided the foundations for the last generation of the series on PS4, and was something you built upon. In a similar way, is GT7 going to be the foundation for this next generation, and how do you intend to build upon it?

Kazunori Yamauchi: You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform. What we will obviously do is add more tracks and more cars as we go along as well. But in terms of the features, there are still some features that we've had in the past titles that still haven't made a comeback yet. That's something that we would like to do. And we also have other ideas on top of that, as well, but it's still too early to start talking about that yet.

Lastly - I know our time is wrapping up - there's been a lot going on in the world over the last 18 months. How has that impacted the development of Gran Turismo, and how have you kind of been able to deal with that?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Polyphony Digital is a company that's run like a family, so we're fairly strong during times of crisis like this. So in that way, relatively speaking I don't think we were affected by COVID as much.

Real life racetracks have been closed and the opportunity to go for long drives isn't quite there as it used to be. I wonder if you've been able to enjoy real life driving while all this happened, and whether you've been able to keep your love of cars alive somehow.

Kazunori Yamauchi: Actually, COVID gave me an opportunity to drive my cars more. I still drive on the Tokyo Expressway every night in my Porsche GT3.

I guess it's not as busy as it used to be, so you can enjoy it a bit more as well.

Kazunori Yamauchi: There's hardly any cars, so it's very easy driving as well.

That sounds like a lovely way to spend an evening. Thanks for your time, and good luck with the rest of development.

Spoiler

51440662836_f1be906dfc_h.jpg51440662916_eeff04444c_h.jpg51441407569_e18b24def1_h.jpg

51440914923_91b7d3bb63_h.jpg

51440915628_45536f2f0f_h.jpg

51441627105_3ad1b0d675_h.jpg

11 hours ago, spatular said:

This is really going to test my resolve on not paying the higher price for some ps5 stuff. Let us know if you see any good deals guys!

At the moment I find the eBay deals the best way to buy in most circumstances. Wait until about a month or two out from release and start checking to see if eBay are doing one of their 15% off or 20% promotions (some are only if you have a Nectar card but they're free) and you save a lot of money. If a listing is at the RRP of £70 you should get £10.50 off making it £59.50 or £14 off making it £56 at 20%.

I've bought quite a few PS5 games at this point and have never paid more than £64 for any of them even on some of the launch titles last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pre-ordered the Anniversary CE with Amazon (first ordered with GAME and they charged an extra £5 for Hermes Delivery lol so cancelled that ASAP), think it's a really nice set and a cool collector's piece. As with me though, I'm not sure I'll stick with it if I spot a bargain closer to release.

1 hour ago, retroed said:

Could you in theory use the PS4 voucher that comes with the special edition, pay the £10 upgrade for a PS5 digital version, and then do what you want with the disc?

I didn't think of it this way, my first thought was you could sell the PS4 code to get some money back but your idea is better, I believe you could do it but would have to sell as disc-only if you wanted to keep the CE Steelbook.