passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Medium

Rikzilla

Apparently it runs between 600p and 900p on Series X and also runs like shit on a 3080,  anyway I'm preloading now so I will soon get to experience that crappy performance for myself. Low framerate, the truest of video game horrors.

Genuinely interested tho in hearing it's like a PS2 survival horror

Yea I’m hearing it’s heavily influenced by the old school resident Evils and Silent Hills. Semi fixed cameras and those old style RE puzzles.

More suspenseful with very little combat and only about 7 hours long too. Excellent! Pre loading now as well. 

Saw an interesting tweet earlier - Blooper Team was formed by people who were working on Sadness, an intriguing black & white horror game for Wii that was cancelled. Some of the ideas from that game have apparently made it into this one.

So when they said it wasn't possible on last-gen, they rather meant they're just not competent enough to get it running. And no offense to Bloober, there's more to games than just the technical aspects, but it's pretty obvious they're no tech experts and need extra hardware power to compensate for a lack of optimisation.

The game does looks positively old school though. If I still remember it exists by the time I have a Series Something I might give it a go.

The Sadness part is also interesting. Always thought that was just Vaporware but that sounds like they were actually building something behind the curtain.

Tbh, it's rendering two viewports at once. That's a hell of a lot. Last gen would probably be a Cyberpunk type of disaster.

Trying to think of the last game that did that... Deadly Premonition when being chased by the killer? lol, it ran at like 10fps on a xbox 360.

I guess in a way it's sort of like a VR game with how it renders two scenes but with completely different assets/effects in each 'eye'

2 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

I remember that game. For what it’s worth this got a recommended from Eurogamer and 92% from PC Gamer.

But also a 2/5 from GamesRadar, 6.8/10 from GameInformer and 2/5 from The Guardian.

Seems a mixed bag, it has scored a little better than I was expecting though so far.

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Tbh, it's rendering two viewports at once. That's a hell of a lot. Last gen would probably be a Cyberpunk type of disaster.

I suppose, but at the same time the vantage point stays the same, the character model is probably identical bar a couple of textures, most of the level architecture as well.

Not saying it would be an easy last-gen port but I'm currently playing Shadows Awakening on Xbox One which allows you to hop between reality and afterlife à la Soul Reaver at the press of a button but without a loading animation in between, so basically the two areas are being rendered on top of another all the time. It's not as fancy as The Medium but also not far enough away from what that game does to make me believe this wouldn't be possible on current-gen.

Plus if Medium really does run at sub-1080p on Series X it's just not optimised at all.

The games editor over at the Guardian is someone from Kotaku UK I think, Keza MacDonald. It's not like Mark Kermode is reviewing the games lol. They get contributions from people who you've probably read articles from on gaming centric websites or even discussion forums,

Anyway I don't agree that resolution is the be all end all of graphics optimisation, but I should wait till I play the game I guess. 

I'm not far enough in that I feel this needs to go in an impressions thread or anything, but caveat emptor on this one I think. It's not a survival horror game, it's a walking simulator with some puzzles that has a Silent Hill soundtrack.

At least by the look of things early on

(I guess caveat emptor doesn't really apply to most on here who will probably gamepass this, I don't do GP so oh well)