passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streets of Rage 4

DANGERMAN

Finished first play through last night with Axel and started new one with Blaze.

I was enjoying it but didn’t think it was amazing. Felt defensive and movement capabilities were a bit limited in a way that didn’t suit the bigger areas with more enemies compared to SoR 1&2. But something clicked last night to where I now love it. I’ve realised you need to use specials as much as normal moves. SoR 2 taught me to save them for crowd and grab escapes but little else due to the health penalty.

The neutral special is great for the charging enemies and giving some invincibility frames. But the jump special is particularly useful! It basically warps you across the screen hitting everything in your path closing any gaps in a instant and  helps significantly when carrying on combos and juggles.

It’s a literal game changer. The health penalty is basically non existent too, it’s tiny and the air special makes it really easy to link into further hits which give you your health back anyway. 

Enjoying it so much more now I’ve got over this little mental hurdle with using specials. Made it a lot easier and got my first S rank after struggling to get above a B before. 

Great game. 

Nice :) The highest I've managed is A rank on stage 11, everything else is a B now.

I only have one more character to unlock now, and I'll be recording my review/impressions video later today :)

Just unlocked first 2 SOR1 characters now and done 3 of the

Spoiler

retro challenges 

Love the fact they’ve included classic characters. I wish the

Spoiler

retro stages were full ones not just the bosses but I bet it takes more work than you think making it proper 16:9 and they definitely look better even though it keeps the pixelated look.

Who do you do your vids for @Rikzilla? Or do you have a YT channel? Wouldn’t mind checking it out when you’re done. 

Finished my Blaze playthrough. Only died a couple of times doing a lot better now especially since I started using specials a lot more. 

At least I thoigh I was getting better. Started my Cherry playthrough. I’ve died about 6-7 times on the first 3 levels. I’m just not getting on with her at all. Her combo potential seems huge but I just seem to keep leaving myself open to attacks and her reach is pretty short. Her specials take a bit too much build up and none go across the screen like Axel and Blaze. Although she can run which is appreciated. Her charge power attack avoids lots of enemy attacks too but my play style doesn’t seem to suit her at all. 

Played online last night and it was baaaaad.

There was so much lag it was crazy and we ended up getting passed certain areas by the skin of our teeth.

I tried playing online the night before too, but it wouldn't let me connect to anyone.

Has anyone else experienced this or was it just me? 

I finished the other day with a mate online, on normal. We used a guide to find the hidden stages. Nice idea, but very underwhelming.

I’ll go through on my own on Easy at some point and then work my way through the difficulties.

I think they did a pretty good job, but I think Normal should’ve been called Hard as everyone seems to agree that it’s harder than the originals.

@Rikzilla Good review mate. Gave you a subscribe ?. I like how you touched on the unused enemies they have in the concept art section and how that would have been preferable to so many palette swaps. Not seen many other people mention that and I had the exact same thought as you when I saw them. Like you say, hopefully some DLC May come out. I’d be interested to see what you think of SOR 2 when you play it too now.

Back to this, finished my Cherry playthrough. Thank God that one is done, I just could not get the hang of her at all. I usually like fast, combo heavy characters but I got battered when using her. Left myself open far too often and she doesn’t do much damage so combos are a must which you get punished for if you’re not very careful. I bet high level play with her is seriously impressive though. May find some vids.

Started my Floyd play. Much better! He is very slow but this is easily offset by his damage output which is crazy, a single basic combo kills most enemies and his reach is ridiculous. Forward special brings most goons to you too (where a couple of gut punches refill a nice bit of health) so don’t need to move much anyway. His double grab is lethal too. Liking him a lot! Got a few more S ranks with him too. 

Love how different every character feels even with such a basic control scheme. Brilliant game, definitely worthy of the SOR name. 

@mfnick Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Funnily enough I played through the first SoR last night. Played it on the Mega Drive Collection and used the rewind button A LOT so I need to play through it properly, then I'll move in to 2.

Am toying with the ideo of reviewing the trilogy in a video later down the line.

Quality review Rik, definitely done the game justice. 
The only area I personally wouldn’t agree, is the soundtrack. I found it mostly disappointing. Sure, there’s a handful of really good tracks. But the majority haven’t stuck in my head, at all. And that’s after finishing the game 9 times. 
Compare that to SOR2, and almost every track is bloody brilliant. I loved them back in the day, and I still do now. 

The scrolling beat-em up genre remains my absolute favourite in gaming. And though 4 doesn’t take the crown from SOR2, it is a bloody good game in its own right.

• 3 months later...

There's a big balance update out now. I'm not even remotely competent enough in these games to be able to tell what that all means but there's one point at least that sounds like a good thing to me (forward specials no longer triggered by up/down + special).

https://www.dotemu.com/streets-of-rage-4-new-balancing-patch-now-available/

Also, the game has sold over 1.5 million copies, which I feel is a very solid number for this genre.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing the DLC for this. It's a survival mode, which I'm not usually that big a fan of, but after every stage (very short arenas) you get to pick a perk. Some are risk/reward, like you get a stat boost but can't jump any more, or you heal by hitting enemies but can no longer heal using items. There's a lot that add damage effects to certain moves or weapons, so every weapon now does poison, your super leaves a AOE fire, and these stack and can be improved. You can even get an AI helper at the start of each stage to help out. Depending who you get these can be really helpful, and even if not they do at least attract attacks away from you

I've been playing as the new version of Max a lot, he's a lot quicker than he used to be, and they've left in some of the more glitchy effects of his old character, like other people getting caught in his grapples etc

It's cheap on PSN at the minute, just over a fiver if you have +, and I'm really enjoying it. It might mean I never finish all the characters in the story mode, but it's got me playing it and I've spent a few hours with it already

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still dipping in to this, the dlc is so good. You can just have a random set of levels and perks, but the weekly challenge is more curated and so is probably more interesting. I hate taking the perks that come at a cost, however this week's challenge pushes you towards some. Of a bit of a Sophie's choice I picked the perk that meant I couldn't heal from items anymore, but would get 8% back whenever I dealt damage. The game then leans in to perks for weapons, poison, fire, electric, so having a weapon was in my best interest to cause damage, and so heal. When it wasn't a weapon perk it was a something that meant you took less damage when low on health, this stacked a little, then I got one that meant I dealt more damage.

Essentially, playing as Max, I was a bit of a tank that was having wild swings of health as I was chaining attacks on hordes of enemies

For such a simple bit of dlc, I really recommend it