passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streets of Rage 4

DANGERMAN

SOR2 remains the best of not just the series, but of the scrolling beat-em-up genre.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a bloody good game. But it has its flaws. For one thing, a lot of the new enemy types are extremely annoying. The last boss is unquestionably awful, an absolute chore to fight. And the soundtrack is not very good at all. There’s a couple of decent tracks, but the rest are extremely forgettable. Compare that to the soundtrack to 2, which is one of my favourites of all time. Nearly every track in 2 is bloody excellent, and has stayed in my mind decades later. 

Still, it really is good to have another entry to the series.

I decided to give this a go last night. Absolutely love what I’ve played so far. Only intended to try out a stage or 2 and before I knew it I was up to stage 8 and didn’t want to stop. It’s very old school in the best possible.After initially hating the graphical style I now think it looks incredible. The animations, reflections and lighting all looks brilliant. The backgrounds in particular are stunning. 

Im currently playing it on easy after seeing a few people say how hard it is and glad I did. Even on easy I’ve found a few bits a little challenging and I’m very rusty. Easier to learn the tells and attacks of enemies too for when I do play on harder difficulties. I really like how you can get health back from specials too if you get on offensive kind of like Bloodborne. 

I’m playing through on Easy to get the trophies for finishing the game with each character. You don’t get any of them for beating it in co-op, so I’ve 5 more playthroughs to go.

Just played online with my mate that first got me into SOR, back when we co-oped SOR2 on Mania. Got the trophy for finishing Arcade mode on Hard (no continues, play the entire game in one go). Was bloody difficult in places, especially towards the end. But just about managed it. 

I've finished it a couple of times now, once with Axel and once with Adam. The plan is Blaze then Cherry next but I kind of want to play with the retro characters. The problem with that is I need the score to unlock whatever/whoever is left, the best way to do that is to keep completing it, and my best chance of that is with characters who aren't limited 

I'm really enjoying it, I still wish it had a better defensive game, letting you break out of grabs and combos with your special, and that always had priority. 

I've managed to beat the one of the secret levels too. The final one is a bit too hard, I need another life for it. I've not managed to trigger the first one yet 

I've just got to stage 5. It's a perfect game to pick up and play for 10 minutes.

Those fat biker women can fuck off into the bin though.

[EDIT]

Finished stage 5, onto Chinatown now. Got the the boss on my first try but lost 2 lives on the second half of the stage, holy shit it gets tough, but in a lazy way, just seemingly endless waves of gingers and ninjas.

The dojo with the hundred spears (I'd like to copyright that name if it isn't a Chinese movie already) is ridiculously hard. They lure you into a false sense of security by bringing back the most basic enemy for that scenario and then they just rush you down from every direction with long range weaponry. No idea how to get through there without losing a ton of life.

I'm using Axel too, I really like him, but then again I haven't tried anyone else yet. Seen a lot of people were struggling with him so wanted to challenge myself to a playthrough as him first, then do a character at a time after that.

Definitely won't be getting the platinum on this one. Not even going to attempt it.

Yeah the Platinum is ridiculous. S-Ranking all missions on Hard? I can barely get an S Rank on Easy.

As for getting a combined score of 5 million? I’ve got the trophies for completing the game with each type of character. And I’m barely past 2 million.

Just finished my first playthrough with Axel, will do the next one with Blaze.

Final boss was a lot easier than I was expecting, I did it on my first try and only lost one life. The run up to the boss was way harder.

Spoiler

I took out the brother first because he has projectile attacks, then when he jumped into the machine I moved to the top left corner to get out of the way and it turns out it's a blind spot, so I stayed there attacking the robot arm when I could and countering the sister when I needed to until the brother was defeated, then stayed in my blind spot while the sister was in the machine and took her down easy. It was messy, and I'm sure there's a quicker way, but it worked for me.

I think I'll have a go on hard once I've finished a normal playthrough with all the characters, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll do any good.

Yeah, I thought the last boss wasn't a problem but didn't say because a few others did think it was. 

I played Hard some and thought it was just as easy at first but level 3 proved troublesome.  So I got help from a rando, we went on easily enough until level 5.   It's quite a long level with Barbon at the end and we couldn't clinch it.  Not been back since but I think it'd totally doable without going crazy. 

I just found a hidden trophy by mistake because I was looking for a secret level in the Gallery stage ??

Spoiler

I wondered what would happen of I carried the golden chicken all the way to the room full of golden chickens and hit the arcade machine in there with the golden chicken, thinking it would unlock a secret level.

It didn't, but I did get a trophy ?

I love this game!

Finished my Blaze plythrough earlier. Cherry plythrough next.

[EDIT]

Finished my Cherry playthrough. She was a lot of fun and pretty good at juggling when you break her combo up.

Going through as Floyd next.

It's time for your daily SoR4 update!

I finished my playthrough as Floyd, and started one as Adam.

Floyd hits like an absolute tank but he's so slow some of the quicker bosses become really tricky - I actually lost a life to Mr Y ? Sure, when you get to an enemy it's a quick combo, grab them out of the air followed by a grab combo, but it's hitting them to begin with that's tricky

Adam seems ok so far. Feels like Blaze, but with a bit more power behind him. Seems to be a nice balanced character.

I was falling off this, I was playing through as Cherry and starting to get tired and bored, not feeling the levels. I've still got Floyd to play as from the modern characters and some stuff to unlock and wasn't sure if I could face it. 

Then I started playing as SOR1 Adam and really enjoying it again, so I think it's just Cherry isn't for me