passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streets of Rage 4

DANGERMAN

So far, it's pretty good. Very responsive, means early on you can spin around and attack enemies coming from behind, you can feel good at the game the way I felt I'd mastered SOR2. I like the juggling, I've seen people coming up with stuff I'd never think to do, but again, you can start to put some stuff together that shows you're learning and improving.

I do kind of wish, as much as I'd accept that changing too much might be a detriment, that there was a parry in there somewhere. You don't have a lot of options defensively, even the special attack doesn't quite work the same way as it did in past games as an escape, some sort of counter, or even a roll like in (but better than) SOR 3 would help on that front.

I've only played as Axel so far, I've just unlocked another character but I'm only 5 levels in. It's relatively tough, Iv'e used a continue, it puts you back to the start of that stage, but it did mean I had to learn the boss battle. A couple of the other levels I've beaten on my last life. Streets of Rage 2 I could beat on hard without losing a life, I don't see that happening here

8 minutes ago, Nag said:

All I'm gonna say at the minute is I fucking hate those cops with the riot shields...?

yeah, my tactic is to throw a weapon, catch, throw until the shield is gone, but they're definitely the hardest normal enemy I've seen so far

^ oh I’m going to try that.

the drop kick people take loads of health off you even on easy.

i played through the first few levels earlier and enjoyed it, playing on Xbox via gamepass, which is cool because I wouldn’t have got it at full price just because it’s not my sort of game usually.

been playing as the person with a guitar, mainly because you can hit people with the guitar.

Finished the game earlier. I did originally start playing on Normal, until I got the final boss. That absolutely took the piss, and with only 3 lives, it just wasn’t enough. I tried again with the additional aids you can select (extra lives and special attack stars). But I still couldn’t do it, as the final boss is a cheap motherfucker.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to change your difficulty. So I had to start a new game on Easy, and get to the end again. A few hours later, boom, cheap bastard final boss defeated.

Theres some enemies that are proper annoying. The riot shield cops. The black-shirt cops with tasers that absolutely batter you given half a chance. And those bitches that throw bottles/grenades, they can fuck right off.

As much as I enjoy grand-uppering with my boy Axel, he feels so slow movement wise. I miss the ability to run. And the soundtrack? Meh. I’ve got songs from SOR2 and 3 stuck in my head, decades later. None of the music in this game is remotely memorable, I’ve forgotten it already. It’s not that it’s bad, or anything. It’s just, well, meh.

Still. I enjoyed my first playthrough. And will be doing several more.

7 hours ago, mmmark said:

Can you co-op with randoms?

Yes you can, I finished my first play through entirely with randoms yesterday.

Admittedly I'm pretty shit at these types of games so it took no time at all before I realized easy was the mode for me... I just like the sense of empowerment from beating the hell out of all and sundry. I finished the first 7 levels yesterday morning and the online was great, you couldn't even tell it wasn't local co-op. Went back later in the evening and played through the rest (again in co-op) and there was noticable lag this time.

Have to agree with Andy, that last boss is pretty shit compared to what comes before. Glad the game was on Game Pass, I would've felt burned paying full whack but that's not saying it isn't a good game, just that I'm not sure how much time I'll actually give it.

For once I get to talk about a new game! Feels like I've had much the same experience as everyone else. I never would have looked twice at this, but for 'free' on GP it was an absolute must.

Started last night on Normal, got to the level 3 boss and got my ass handed to me. Wasn't up for carrying on with that bullshit so I started again on easy and rinsed through the whole game with Blaze. I'm a sucker for a skimpy outfit... It's got this weird spike, where Easy is JUST too easy, and Normal is MUCH too hard for my skill. Was looking through the achievements and some people have already got some of the insane ones. Good work, obviously. But holy shit.

Like others have said, I'm disappointed in the lack of defensive moves. Even a little quick backstep would open it up so much more for tactical play. And the riot shield dudes were assholes. Even on easy I didn't find an effective move against them. Also hated the shirtless dudes who threw a triple flying kick. And one boss, the one with the ponytail and the side of her head shaved (tried to give the least spoilery description ever) was just ridiculous. I couldn't find an effective strategy against her either.

I really enjoyed it though, strangely enough. I think it's one I'll dip in and out of from time to time for a quick run through. Probably not like, but the intent is there.

35 minutes ago, regemond said:

It's got this weird spike, where Easy is JUST too easy, and Normal is MUCH too hard for my skill.

Yeah, I found that too.

Those shirtless twats with their hands in their pockets are really annoying. Try to attack, and they dash backwards out of your way. Get too far, and they triple kick you halfway across the screen. 

That ponytail boss was a real chore. In the end I just spammed special attacks to get rid of her ASAP. The rematch with her was even more annoying. 

And the last boss? Worst in the series, and one of the most annoying bosses in the entire beat-em up genre. On several occasions I lost well over half my health bar, with no idea at how to dodge its bloody attacks. Fuck doing that on Mania. I can’t even do it on Normal.

I've just finished a normal run.  It's awesome and I've started a hard run.  It seems the same as normal but your special attacks drain more health. 

I dealt with shield guys by doing a combo, neutral jumping their attack then comboing again. It takes a bit of timing but it's the easiest way to deal with them. 

I used Cherry mostly since I feel like she has the best combo potential but she moves around a lot so it can be easy to miss things.  I used Adam from time to time, but I tried all the characters and I'm looking forward to unlocking more. 

I did it solo but if anyone one has it on Switch and wants to do a Mania run I'm up for it. 

7 hours ago, regemond said:

Like others have said, I'm disappointed in the lack of defensive moves.

I think neutral Special is supposed to be that as it is invincible for most of its duration. Basically the way it goes is that while you're punching enemies and you notice someone outside of your range is telegraphing an attack you should get ready to cancel whatever you're doing into Triangle/Y to avoid getting hit and knock back the attacker.

At least that's how I think you're supposed to deal with some of the stuff. I'm pretty awful at these kind of games and SoR4 seems to have quite a lot of depth to it. You can incorporate the charge move and the double-forward move into combos, juggle after wall bounces and whatnot – I wish it had a training mode because figuring all that stuff out on the fly while enemies are charging at you from two directions can feel a bit much.

Well, Cherry is fast becoming my favourite character. She moves so much quicker than Axel or Blaze. She can run, which leads into a devastating flying knee. Causes tons of hits, and racks up a decent combo with ease. And her special has her doing a sliding knee attack. 

She’s a ton of fun to play as.

I like Cherry the best too.

I downloaded it on GP but a mate many miles away bought it on Switch today so I did the same and we played through on Normal till the last boss. Would’ve finished it but it was middle of the morning for him and time for me to get food.

We had some game crashes a few times. First two times it was after I paused the game and the whole game froze for me but carried on as normal for him. I could even continue playing by watching his screen that he was Skyping out to a mutual friend we were chatting to while we played. Then it did the same for him but without him pausing. Then a couple more times for me for no good reason.

It’s definitely harder than I was expecting. We didn’t dial it down but did use the assists to give more lives but less points.

Thumbs up I think.

I went from "I don't really care about this game" to buying it in about two days.

Had a quick go and managed to get to the level 2 boss on my second attempt. Almost did him, but died.

I am really bad at games like this, but after everything I've seen from it I just wanted to get it.

So far it feels how I remember the old ones feeling, but a lot smoother. It's certainly just as tough. I've never beat a Streets of Rage game so after dropping £18 on this I'm determined to get good and actually finish this one.

Just finished Stage 3 and I really love this game.

The risk/reward of ? attacks is a fantastic element, and learning to use it it properly is genuinely fulfilling.

I love how retrying a stage after a Game Over I can see myself getting a little further and a little further, learning enemy waves, attack animations, when to use ? as offense or defense, eventually being able to get to the boss with 3 lives and close to full health to start learning that dance.

I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the series, I only ever played the first one when I was a kid because it was the one 2 player game every SEGA kid had and I never played the sequels, but this feels like how I remember the first one, just smoother and 'crunchier'.

Looking forward to playing more.