passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

DisturbedSwan

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Those of you who played the other two, were the animations this rough in that? I took the roughness of the footage to just be its early nature. 

I'm sort of wondering will games like this get delayed, they must have lost some momentum transitioning to WFH and all the challenges it presents.

I didn't really notice a roughness to the animations I must say, but I'd concur with Mary in that it looked just like the two previous games so maybe? I can't seeing this get delayed with Ubi's worldwide workforce but as with any game this year you never know. 

I know it's early footage and low res but it looks underwhelming as a prospect of early next gen stuff.

Maybe it's the cross gen effect. TLOUII looks much better.

Also comparing the animations in that fight to something like FFVII Remake which has really exceptional animation blending, nothing of the sort here (at least not yet)

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I know it's early footage and low res but it looks underwhelming as a prospect of early next gen stuff.

Maybe it's the cross gen effect. TLOUII looks much better.

Definitely. It’s cross-gen and it very much shows, I imagine almost all cross-gen efforts will be almost exactly the same graphically maybe with a better FPS and RT.

It was the same with AC4:BF cross-gen last gen to this gen, only very minor improvements across the board.

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

TLOUII looks much better.

But it was also custom-tailored to one system by some of the most proficient technical developers on the planet over the span of six years and with an almost limitless budget.

Valhalla probably had half that time in the oven and comes out for god knows how many systems. I'm not saying UbiSoft couldn't do better because they certainly could. But TLOU2 has so much going for it it's a bit unfair to do the comparison. And being cross-gen certainly doesn't help AC either.

3 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

over the span of six years and with an almost limitless budget.

I believe they didn't start work on it properly until after Uncharted: TLL was finished in August 2017, which is even more impressive. 

But yeah, I agree, it's an unfair comparison to make.

Well I loved Odyssey and will probably enjoy this too. It's weird how much time they spent with combat scenes in the trailer though because combat has always been bad in AC and doesn't look like it improved much here.

Vinny on the Beastcast once again nailing this game, the newer games and my bewilderment around this series as a whole. It’s not that I think the new games are bad. But after years and years of AC drifting further and further away from what that series started as instead of bringing it back with the Origins “refresh” instead that was the definitive split. That wasn’t Assassin’s Creed reclaiming itself that was Assassin’s Creed saying we are completely done with being Assassin’s Creed. We’re keeping the name, tho.

And seemingly no one but me and Vinny gives a fuck. Why is it even called Assassin’s Creed anymore? I don’t think the new games are bad I’m just a bit let down by how little of a shit the people who own the franchise give about the franchise I like. 

It’s still AC, it’s just not the city-based AC.

It still has AC DNA running through it, they’ve just adapted the formula and changed it.

I don’t know who Vinny is, not do I give a flying fuck what he thinks. Long running series have to change to survive, gamers are entitled little pricks who moan about everything.

If the series didn’t change it would’ve died like PoP. People were really bored with the City formula in 2014 or so, people are now gagging for a city-based AC because they’ve forgot how stale that formula got. Fuck em.

It’s less like evolution and more like abandonment. The fact that it has any AC DNA running through it at all makes it even weirder. Watching a Viking do Assassin shit is really odd and is the part where it feels like they really stopped giving a fuck and are just layering what ever skin they want atop the framework. As an actual AC fan I want them to fix the framework and not just keep adding shit to it which doesn’t actually add, enhance or make the assassin part of Assassin’s Creed exciting. It’s just become generic period piece open world game where the open world is dull and the period never fits the activities because 90% of it was literally designed with a different period in mind. 

And I’m not saying these games are bad. I can get on with what they are. But the appeal of what I like about these games has almost completely gone because I know they don’t even take their own era stuff seriously enough and the regurgitation of the same endless forts, chests and garbage makes it hard to even want to play. 

Not at all. You’re just clinging to the idea that AC has to be city-based as that’s what it’s original creative director intended it to be. We got so many city-based games over the years from 2007 right up until 2015 - with only BF differing from the norm - I loved a lot of them but I think that formula is done, it’s had it’s day.

I don’t get why watching a Viking do assassin shit is weird in any way, part of the beauty of the lore of the series is that pretty much anyone through history can be an assassin and pretty much anyone can be a Templar. If a pirate can be an assassin so can a Viking.

As an actual AC fan myself, I hope they change up this formula significantly once it has run its course much like the city-based formula of yesteryear. 

I honestly have no idea how anyone thinks Origins’ world was dull in anyway but some parts of Odyssey weren’t as vivid and visually interesting I agree. If the activities are fun then I don’t really care if they ‘fit’ or not.

Lots of people loved Odyssey, folks who had slept on AC for years tried it and really dug it. The new formula is bringing new fans into the fold that otherwise would’ve slept on the series and not given it another chance. I think that’s great. 

Then don’t play it man, if it doesn’t interest you anymore you don’t have to buy it and play it. Put the series on a personal hiatus until they change the formula again. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with missing what a series used to be. 

I liked Origins but it definitely felt like an Ubisoft open world game first and an Assassin's Creed game a distant 2nd. Not just because it was flatter, less roof top bothering, it just felt like a check list. Like it was made by a bunch of teams all over the world 

For what it's worth Vinny definitely isn't an entitled moaner gamer, he is a cool 40yo Dad gamer who tells bad jokes and knows a lot about ham radio. He's also a bit of a prepper, an instinct which comes in handy these days.

I think there's an element of needing to put your money where your mouth is, ie just don't buy these games if they don't work for you. But not liking the new direction isn't a toxic attitude to take. Sometimes games do bounce back to their original formula, like the Hitman series after Absolution.