passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

• 10 months later...
24 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

on another note though, Remake's story has a weird ending so it's worth recapping on spoilers for that

I won't be playing Rebirth because I want to finish Remake first. I started playing it on PS5 again last year and was enjoying it more. Didn't get out of chapter 1, I don't think, and a lot of my pains with that game really started to kick in with the House boss and after

But I didn't almost die at the first boss this time and was really trying to pay attention to how to play the game. Didn't get very far to say I've turned around on it, but even from the off started to have a better time with it

Just have to find the time to get back to it which will be err...not sure 

That house boss is the hardest fight in the game, given that it really wants you to observe specific openings and use specific attacks within them. You get away with a lot of stuff up until that point, and weirdly enough after that point they start letting you get away with stuff again.

But yeah the main thing with it is to block a lot and pretend it's Dark Souls, imo. Not Devil May Cry. I think lots of people rush in like it's DMC cause it kinda resembles it on the surface, when it's actually this really clever blend of a different sort of action with turn based stuff.

Assess materia MVP

FF8 is 'Fuck maladaptive coping behaviours and grow the fuck up and learn to connect with others', it's a cool game. Gaming's Catcher in the Rye? I'm saying it

Did I post the fan theory I saw for the remake trilogy? 

Spoilers obviously, and this is basically self harm because I've not played the original, but 

Spoiler

Remake is, in game, a remake of the original story. Aerith and Sephiroth know it, and are actively trying to "correct" the time line 

Spoiler

Thats the popular theory since it came out I think. Imo tho I think its going for the same ending as LOST's sideways reality and the two timelines are a sort of metareality for something else. Perhaps the afterlife and the cycle of souls in the lifestream

On 22/02/2024 at 11:01, Maf said:

I won't be playing Rebirth because I want to finish Remake first.

Apparently I ordered the £90 version in October and forgot about it and it’s now arriving tomorrow

Ok, so I finally booted up the demo this morning.. At least that is what I thought? Demo's need updates now???🤷‍♂️

Just finished with the demo. Naturally, miles behind everyone else. Further still since I passed on Remake. Positives: It looks nice. But that is a standard with FF. Square has always/tried to push the boat out with visuals. It was quite clever to use exposition dump town Kalm for the demo,* Since it is so self-contained. It was exactly the same scene but with a facelift though. So can't complain. The Reality of the scene gets a lot more winks and nudges to the knowing player. Which was to be expected, it's not a new game or plot twist anymore. I like the VA. Sephiroth has a more subtle, calm voice than I would expect. Although I recall similar with Advent Children. At the time, I didn't like it because it didn't sound as I thought Sephiroth would from the OG text. But I'm over that now, obviously.

Negatives... The elephant in the room that was absent from the above paragraph: The combat and controls. The worst part for me was with the boss. Most of it felt too fast for me to keep up with what was happening and what I was doing. It came across as button bashing at that point. Like strategy wasn't needed. Other times I'm fighting one foe while being blindsided by another that isn't in my field of view (which reminded me of New GoW). The menus come across to me as they are trying to be clever. But it feels unintuitive. Much like switching between party members. I did like that while Sephiroth is strong here, he is significantly weaker than during this scene in the OG.

Is there still a little 'ERROR: THIS ISN'T TURN BASED' in the back of my head? Possibly. So maybe the controls are a 'me' issue.

Also that piano playing was ridiculous. Definitely a case of the 'less' of the OG interface being the better way to go.

The Big Question: Did I like it? 🤔It was fine. I wasn't bowled over. I think Kalm wasn't the best selling point to a big fan like me, of the original game. As that scene is quite slavish recreated. And therefore dull. Will I buy it? 20 games on the shelf at the moment. A few more digitally so I probably shouldn't. Yet, it's coming tomorrow.🤷‍♂️

*There is an additional part for Junon in the demo. But I doubt I'll touch it. It does specify that section isn't representative of the final game, so there's no real point.

Sephiroth did sound how I imagined him.  The two that took me a bit to get used to were Reno and Rufus.  I imagined Reno to be a bit slicker and Rufus to be brattier.  But I soon rolled with what they were going for.

Rebirth's combat throws a lot at you, expands a lot on remake stuff. I still would say try to play Remake first, not necessarily cause of story but cause it starts things off very basic and builds from it. Rebirth starts you already with a party of 5 in comparison.

Funnily enough when you figure the systems out, it actually is turn based after all. Just doesn't look like it at first

On 03/03/2024 at 16:33, HandsomeDead said:

Sephiroth did sound how I imagined him.

Forgot I didn't reply to this in the moment. At the time, I had a Christopher Lee/John Colicos voice in my head for Sephiroth. The Kalm dialogue with Jenova gave me that vibe. So I wasn't expecting the softer and more subdued voice he got from Advent Children onwards.

Theatrhythm doing a god job of making me feel old.

GIyba8pagAASbf4?format=jpg&name=large

I don't think I've ever made such a pronounced 180 from a game's first showing to playing it. I remember almost dismissing it as pseudo-MMO nonsense when I saw the first pictures, but it eventually turned into my favourite FF game and I think Zodiac Age in particular is on the podium of the best JRPGs ever made.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering a run (not consecutively, I'll be interspersing with other games, but chronologically) of all the single players games in this franchise. I'm not old school enough to go thru all the 2d stuff, but I did want to try one. Would people here agree with my little bit of research on this matter that 6 is a good place to start. 

I've read it was a major move forward in terms of narrative, and has solid gameplay, and, most importantly, not madly hard like I know some of those old school games can be.