passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

I'd like to know what they're going to do with

Spoiler

Cait sith. Seems a bit odd to bring in such a character given the meaty shift in tone.

I actually thought he/it was a bit out of place in the original.

Just to reinforce @Blakey's comment above. Can we keep the discussion to content that is in the demo. I know some of us are big brains when it comes to 7 and we like to share that, but quite a few of us are coming to this cold. If you want to talk about the original 7, please use the thread for the original (but spoiler anything that is a plot point)

Thanks.

Back on topic, having played through the demo now, my friend and a considerable amount of internet chatter has been made of the cutscene at the end of the demo. Compared to the Han Shot First controversy. Yet is it a retcon at all? Thoughts, comments?

Spoiler

He means the fact that the bomb in the remake does very little damage to the reactor, it's Shinra that blow up the reactor and frame Avalanche.

In the original game it is Avalanche that blow up the reactor.

Retconning Avalanche so they seem less like terrorists - hence the 'Han shot first' comparison.

Spoiler

That was the thing I found interesting.  At first I didn't like that it takes the agency away from Avalanche but on further thought I think it probably does work better.  

It preludes Shinra dropping the plate on the slums and shows an escalation in what Shinra is prepared to do to smear Avalanche, trying to build up a perception that the activists are the 'bad guys'.  Having multiple instances of this sells that idea better than just doing it with the destruction of the slums. 

I think it is truer to the kind of thing establishment types are willing to do to maintain their power. 

Spoiler

I'm fine with it, I think. It is interesting though that it's one of those things people predicted would be tough to have in a remake.

One tip I'd give to bellow about the combat is to watch the tooltip on the boss which tells you what attack it is about to do. FFXIV does a similar thing, this feels based on that.

Yet, regarding the supposed Retcon:

Spoiler

4dmi5o20vhk41.jpg

This is the dialogue from the original game. Even then, the implication was that the bomb did more than intended. It was just delivered with more subtlety.

Spoiler

It's hard to talk about subtlety with FFVII's script, because there's so many errors in its localisation (see the usage of 'clones' to describe people with Jenova cells).

I think the translator didn't actually look at the game they were translating which is why things are weird like this. Basically I don't see that Jessie's dialogue as suggesting Shinra did it, just that the impact of the blast is a big surprise as she's a rank amateur.

Remember Jessie fucked up everyone's fake IDs as well. 

I'd even guess that maybe in the Remake the bomb not destroying everything is just another mistake she made, then Shinra just did the rest to make sure. 

14 minutes ago, OCH said:

Yet, regarding the supposed Retcon:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't understand the point you're making. 

Spoiler

And that's not subtle, it's pretty clear.  How is Jessie making a bigger bomb than she expected thematically better than what they're doing with the remake? 

The thing with RPG's from the late 80's to late 90's, if they weren't localised in-house, the outsourced games were basically translated ala a cliff notes version. With some dialogue adaptation when it came to cultural differences and different levels of acceptability.

Spoiler

However, some fans have tied in Jessie's dialogue with President Shinra's speech at the Sector 5 reactor, to imply the same level of manipulation that the cutscene overtly spelled out in the remake.

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a few more hours with this today. Obviously I won’t be spoiling anything, as that’s just a dick move. But what I will say, is the demo section wasn’t a fluke. Chapter 2 has been pretty good so far, making you see the repercussions of your actions of Chapter 1 in a way that the original wasn’t able to. 

It’s genuinely exciting to think of how key moments of the original will play out here. The combat feels great, really easy to get to grips with. 

Ive nothing to do all weekend and it’s very tempting to just hammer this the whole time. Hell, I may not even get changed out of my Marvel pyjamas. 

Played a few more hours of Chapter 3. Things are opening up nicely, you’re given a variety of optional quests to do. Which is worthwhile, as it gives access to a variety of items and money. Plus the more stuff you do, the townspeople react more positively to you. 
Weapons can be upgraded to provide additional stat increases. There’s a selection of new materia that wasn’t present in the original. 

Had the chance to play alongside Tifa, who seems pretty useful in the fight. 

Some of the story events are recreations of the original. Some of it is brand new, and they fit in quite nicely I think. 

It’s genuinely a joy to play. The only gripe I can really think of, is a wish there was a way to have a mini-map on screen. Instead you have to bring the map up every time you’re heading to something. Still, that’s not a massive problem or anything. Oh, and there’s a darts minigame in Seventh Heaven, which is a bit of a ballache to play. “Press X to throw a dart” it tells you. What it doesn’t tell you is you need to wait for your aim circle to reach a certain point, or you’ll constantly get ‘Bad’.

So far, so good.