passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

I got to the end of this, I didn't finish it exactly tho. The last boss is a really annoying purple mess and when you're health is low you get the red screen filter on top of that. I've already watched the ending to this on youtube months ago so might just call it there tbh.

The combat with Yuffie is actually pretty sick I think, they maximise just having two characters (with only one fully playable). They came up with a clever way of having her go ranged and in melee, it's a lot of position switching and bouncing around and they finally put in an ATB ability to get a team mate to take aggro for you. Why didn't the base game have that? 

But it is the same boring nonsense of walking through corridors fighting things in Midgar. Makes me wonder if they'll ever mix it up a bit in the sequels and make them actually feel like FFVII. I do also still think they are trying to make it even more action-ey and I think it would be better if they went in a more slow direction, that's the consequence of deciding to implement animation cancelling with Intergrade I think. Now the game is going to be balanced around needing to do that the entire time. If you found the combat in VIIR annoying you might find the reliance on parry countering to open your enemy up even more annoying considering how visually bad some of these fights can get. Like the purple man with a nappy on his face, I found out you have to parry his melee attack to put him in pressure status. But I'm too bored, I hated when the main game tried to be character action cause it wasn't good at it (the rufus fight). 

But when you're fighting robots and managing ATB it's quite good, but FFVII Remake is still so 7/10. They'll never come close to the original.

This fight was cool, I liked it. Spoilers

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Coming to PC now on Thursday

Tbh, I was interested in a PC version a really long time ago. But at this point not so much. Epic games also seem to have annoying save encryption shit on their games when all I would want to do is download a complete save file and fuck around some of the cooler boss fights taking high res screenshots/action clips.

Not sure what PC can do for this game tbh. It didn't really go that crazy on PS5. Still has those terrible skyboxes, no ray tracing or anything like that.

I am playing the PC version. It seems pretty bad, lots of asset streaming stutter and weird drops that resolve in a way that leads me to think it's a shader compilation thing. I wouldn't recommend it. It also doesn't look better than PS5 (but it can be set to 120fps)

edit I saw this, not to revisit a stale convo but it definitely tracks with my feelings on this game still (the content of the article I mean, nvm the silly bait headline)
https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-took-a-dump-on-my-childhood/

Remake needed to not be a remake 

Spoiler

which it isn't, technically, but you dont get that until the end

BTW, digital foundry took a look at that PC version and concluded it is the worst AAA pc port they've ever seen. Doh. 

No video yet or anything tho. Anyway, uh that's my impressions for the PC version. It is sux!

edit there is a video now. It is 14 minutes of DF saying 'it is sux!' using bigger words

• 2 weeks later...

Played through the first chapter of INTERmission this morning, I was playing through the main game again but I'd just been dumped in the sewers and found myself getting bored so decided to take the plunge on the dlc chapters... glad I did as Yuffie may have just become my favourite character, she just fun, great to handle in combat too.

Had to stop as my controller was running out of juice but I can't imagine it'll be more than another two or three hours to get this clocked though.

• 2 weeks later...

I fucking hate, hate, hate the PS5!!

Begrudgingly bought the PS5 version in the recent sale. Started it up and found save wouldn’t work. Read up and found you have to load the PS4 version up and upload it from that. Forgot all about this bullshit after using Xbox almost exclusively for a year. 

Anyway, it’s a pain but not the end of the world. Went to install the PS4 version and it won’t let me! Because I bought (the more expensive) PS5 version that’s the only one it’ll let me download. It doesn’t give me access to the PS4 version as well. I’ve got to pay another £55 for access to that version. What the fuck is this shit?! I’ve played across 3 different versions of Xbox and not once had to put any thought into any of this shit. Sony deserve to lose this gen just from their handling of cross gen games. 

Anyway. I’m after a huge favour if anyone can help? Has anyone got a physical version I can borrow just to upload my save? Obviously will pay postage. Or - & I know this takes a lot of trust so totally understandable if not - would anyone set up a temporary password on your account I could use just for a few hours to download the game and upload my save?