passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset Ă—
MFGamers

Resident Evil 3 Remake🧟‍♂️

Nag

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I’m a huge fan of the Resident Evil series, ever since the first one way back in the day. Last year’s Remake of Resi 2 was absolutely exceptional, definitely worth the wait. 3 getting the Remake was inevitable, though it’s happened quicker than expected.

Still, how does it play? Well, the demo gave a good taste of what to expect, the combat being identical to last year’s effort, with a couple of differences. Jill’s knife never breaks (nor can it be used as a defensive item when grabbed by zombies), and she has a nifty dodge which can be a real lifesaver.

Graphically it looks stunning. The opening cinematic will be compared to our current situation (“A pandemic is rapidly spreading”).   I’ve put about 3 hours in so far, intending to take my time.

Am I enjoying it? Definitely. I can see where some of the reviews are coming though, and I’ll use spoilers to say exactly why....

Spoiler

There’s definitely sections missing that fans of the original will notice. For one thing, you don’t see Brad get killed by Nemesis. 

Events go by pretty quickly, no sooner have you escaped your flat, are you at the point where you need to repair the train. What seemed to take several hours to pan out in the original, happen very quickly here.

As for Nemesis himself? He made a good first impression. But once you reach the train, he vanishes completely, only turning up again when the train is powered up. Mr X certainly was more of a threat, as he was constantly on your arse. Here, by the time you next see Nemesis, you’re legging it back to the train so he barely has time with you.

So far, I’m having fun with it. I’ll continue on tomorrow, as I’ve FF7 Remake to get started on.

@AndyKurosaki The general gist of your spoilers is exactly what I was concerned about. Some clearly don't care about such deviations, ala the earlier parts of this thread and the REmake 2 one. I'm oddly relieved I didn't fork out on a PS4 now.

I’ve played a little more of this tonight. Still very much enjoying it. I’ve seen some reviews say they clocked it in 5 hours. I’m about 4 hours, and trying to find all the secrets in an area. But you still seem to get through areas fairly quickly. 
That’s not to say it’s not fun, because it definitely is. But remember how you leave the police station in RE2, and the rest of the game seems to zip past? This is kind of like that. There’s not many documents to find and read, and the majority of those I’ve found haven’t been that interesting.

In terms of puzzles, for the entire game there’s a grand total of 3. One of which is completely optional. Doesn’t really bother me, as I suck at puzzles. But, that does contribute to how fast you get through the game.

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Well OCH if you had a PS4 you could have played the RE2 remake, which was excellent. 

To be fair, RE2 was my least favourite of the original four games (including CV). I’m not all that fussed if I never play REmake 2. I played a ton of REmake 1, which is practically perfect. One of the key differences that sets it apart: Adding elements that enhanced the game, not just subtracting plot and mechanics they were too lazy to bother with.

I'm around two hours in so far and this has been great... 

It was nice to see the demo version was pared down quite a bit, I've managed to get the power to the train sorted and I'm now in the sewer area. I was having a fairly easy time of it for a start but once Nemesis showed up properly that kind've went to shit... he still drops stuff though.?

Since I went digital on the end I have Jill's original outfit which is obviously the one I'm rocking... it looks great in game, I'd had doubts when I first saw it.

IMG_7a9a8388-278a-45b9-bbdb-ea6009a301e3.png

IMG_49402a42-405f-40d8-a3c1-465a3b0bfe92.png

IMG_c2928448-7893-4a0a-b6ab-5c4d708cd32d.png

So I played the first 90 minutes or so. I don't hate it but don't love it, it's definitely more of a linear action thing. Sometimes it feels like the action stuff is doing too much. I'm playing on hardcore so I'm probably setting it a bit too high but also I don't really plan on replaying this one like RE2 so I figure I'd just try it on hard first.

No ink ribbons, which is weird. They throw you into lots of bottlenecks early on with these enemies which glomp your head. I've sort of resorted to dodge spam to iframe through them, which isn't really a Resi thing to do. But some of these enemies take too long to kill and you know how the ammo economy can be sometimes.

I kind of like the dodge mechanic but it seems you can table hopper your way through groups of zombies with it. Unless they are those guys with tumour heads which are my second least favourite enemy behind CV's Bandersnatches

Basically just mash it when you know you are going to get grabbed. You do a cool cartwheel and can slo-mo shoot the zombies in the head with auto target.

What I find is the enemies feel more unfair in this, like those spiders, like the game expects you to use this mechanic. Or it is just a hard mode thing

Up to around four and a half hours and finished for the day with Carlos mid search for a vaccine... Carlos is actually a decent character this time round.

IMG_a90aebcb-92a6-4481-9466-aa072f869c3c.png

For anyone to finish this first time round in sub four hours they have got to be playing assisted and main lining the story without searching out locks and stuff, if I get another 2 or 3 hours I'll be more than happy, it'll be around the same as a RE2 run.

IMG_202df226-9705-4225-84d7-be27b5c1a4ac.png

Loving the Mine Rounds at the minute too.

Yeah I liked what they did with Carlos, he has some quality moments. 

I tried to find everything I could, I missed a few items here or there, but did it just shy of 7 hours. 
Sure, you could blaze through it in 4 or so. But I’ve honestly never seen the point of rushing a game. I want to make the most of it. As we wait bloody long enough for these things to come out. 

I'm finding it kind of lame tbh, it reminds me of RE5. Just run forward and shoot.

I am 3 hours in I think, on a Carlos section. I don't know how far that puts me but I'm definitely not rushing anyway. Not that I'm sure how you can really go fast or slow when it is as straight forward as this game appears to be.

Really what I love about RE is getting acquainted with an area, figuring out the bottlenecks and how to use your resources effectively. Making a run from one side of a building to the other. This is just an action game. A perfectly fine one but there are so many better action games than this.

On the one hand I'm kind of glad Nemesis doesn't stalk you around like Mr X because it's not a mechanic I enjoy. On the other hand, that is sort of Nemesis' thing. It's very weird that it isn't really in this game and he's just a boss monster.

Not trying to be a bummer. One thing I did like was this bossfight at 30 minutes in. Once I got the timing down it was pretty sick I thought. Obvious spoilers

Spoiler

• Nag changed the title to Resident Evil 3 Remake🧟‍♂️