passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Animal Crossing: New Horizons ?

mmmark

I chose this island on ACNH that had itself an island in the middle cut off by a stream all the way round thinking there’d be bridges but there isn’t so I’m stuck playing on the bottom right of my island until I get a pole or learn to build a bridge ? dread to think of the weeds when I get there.

8D9C265A-5393-4B49-8AFD-1CD800F12E4E.jpeg

13 hours ago, mmmark said:

Is this the most people we’ve had playing a game with only one bastard posting about it? ??‍♂️

Quite possibly!

I’ve come out of the woodwork cos I’ve seen a few heads from here playing it ?

Hoping to trade some fruit (my native is cherry’s, and my wonderful in-game mum has sent me some peaches)

Enjoying it so far, lots more to do than previous AC games - which considering the time I’ve plowed into them can only be a good thing!

Although I’m not smashing it as much as I would normally - trying to get my 4 and a half year old into it and I’m trying to hold off a bit so he can see some of the islands progress for himself.

I've not had much chance to play as I'm under 14 day house arrest with a 4 year old and a 5 month old, but the few hours I've played have been good. I think it feels like the best iteration since the DS version and can see it being my daily game for the foreseeable future.

I've put a fair amount of hours into this since Friday. 

New Leaf was my first AC game and I enjoyed it but kind of fucked myself over eventually where I had a barren island with next to no money to continue, so it became a bit of a slog and I gave up on my town in about a month or so, I remember being 35 hours in or so and towards the end was only playing for 30-45 mins a day just doing chores essentially. 

I think that's been the biggest issue for me with this series, what do you do? I'm used to being constantly bombarded with different goals and checklists to complete and so when I first booted up New Leaf I was just utterly lost and bewildered really, I had to make my own goals and checklists to do every day and I never quite got my head round it completely. I'm used to constant praise or acknowledgement from my games when I've accomplished some goal or checked something off a list so in New Leaf I was just left thinking 'what's the point?' A lot of the time but I still enjoyed it and enjoyed making my town bigger and bigger - until I eventually build a brick wall for myself and torpedoed my progress.

I do think this has a gentler learning curve though and immediately gives you objectives to do with the Nook Miles Program, which is great for someone like me. I do worry constantly about whether I'm doing something the right way though, I think it actually makes me quite anxious at times. I just don't want to fuck up my island, I want it to flourish and get envious of all these amazing islands I've already seen from social media. Since I'm a relative AC noob I never quite know whether I'm doing something stupid or not, the game hardly ever expressly tells you anything - unless you want to me reminded of the next big goal from Nook - so I find it quite hard just not knowing whether something I'm doing is being done correctly or not. 

I do think it's clever the way they've made it so you're unable to explore the entirety of your island until you get the

Spoiler

pole vaulter

and the

Spoiler

ladder

though. At the beginning you're confined to just a small piece of land because of all the rivers surrounding you and then when you eventually get the item that allows you to cross the river you're met with hills - which are again inaccessible - until you get another item. This enables you to just worry about this small patch of land initially which does help because the islands are bloody massive! I don't remember them being anywhere near this big in New Leaf (which I suppose is believable enough considering that was a 3DS game). 

I also think the new online services help as well. Unfortunately I've found none of you on here to of opened your gates and let me explore yet but I have had a visitor and visited his island - along with two other folks who happened to be on there at the time - who gave me an Orange and a two cherries (which I then planted back home) which has helped my bell-earning potential massively. 

I like the Nook Phone too, I can't actually remember what the equivalent was in New Leaf but it works really well here, it's similar to one of the Smartphones in GTA I suppose but obviously more AC-cutesy and keeps everything organised in 1 place. Nothing revolutionary or anything but a neat little addition.

In terms of fruit I have Pears @Shin_Seffron @mmmark and will shortly have Apples, Cherries and Oranges if all goes well so you're welcome to trade with me any time, I'm usually on weekdays 7-10 or so for varying amounts of time.

I played the DS version for a full year, really hammered it, so I had no intention of going back in for the last few releases. Due to the current worldwide situation, I thought I might as well play something warm and pleasant and it's great being back.

I like the new additions, or I presume they're new anyway.

I'm on my second house now, just put up enough materials to get the shop. Hopefully I can get bridges and ladders soon.

My village (the mighty Poo Island, same as the DS version) has apples as the native fruit, but I'm also growing peaches and coconuts. If you see me on, I might well have my village open and you're welcome to hop in and steal anything that I haven't already sold.

Been steadily playing this every night or so since release and still really enjoying it. It’s just such a nice distraction and escape from the world at these troubled times.

Paid off my first mortgage from Nook and am about halfway to paying off the next one. Making money hasn’t been too difficult so far, it seems easier and quicker to make bells in this than in New Leaf but perhaps that’s just my poor memory. I’ve also got the Nook’s Cranny setup.

Planted Coconuts, Cherries, Oranges and Apple trees too which’ll help make more in the future hopefully. My coconut trees aren’t growing because I stupidly planted them in grass ? but will fix that later today.

Yesterday I spent most of my session just crafting stuff for the new residents’ houses that should be arriving today. Quite looking forward to having some more folks on my island as Reneigh and Scoot aren’t the most talkative. 

Got the

Spoiler

ladder

yesterday or the day before as well which means I can finally get up and pull up all the weeds from the upper level of my island. 

So yeah, making good progress so far. Really loving it, think I’ll definitely be playing it longer than the 1 month I did with New Leaf at the moment unless I completely fuck up my island.

0A1F9EC6-84F1-4AE1-A5DE-46E05E7DAB40.jpeg

0A067598-CDCF-4AEC-8FA2-AEFC42455B12.jpeg

B469F04C-FC30-4308-B045-4AB24B5880BC.jpeg

Spoiler

3F83808D-E7A9-4D73-95ED-D78CB59D7A8F.jpeg

What’s this I’m hearing about only 1 island per switch?! Even if you have a seperate copy of the game, you can’t make your own island? The actual fuck is all that about? People go on about gamer entitlement and rage a lot but this is one that I genuinely think deserves a lot of hate and no one seems to be kicking up a fuss about it! Good old Nintendo, always manage to avoid backlash somehow. Keep hearing people say “you just have to buy another Switch” are you fucking serious? On 1 podcast I listen to (computer game show) one of the guys has 4 switches and 4 copies of the game, partly because of this. What a joke. They should be brought to task for this. 

You can go on about how they want “to bring people together”, bullshit. You should still have the choice to create a new island on a different profile. Or to stop cheating, doesn’t stop anything, my partner time hops and trades all the time. & what’s it matter anyway? It’s not like it’s esport or something.

I’ve never played one before, they’ve never really interested me but my partner loves it so has just got this one and I was thinking of giving it a go, pointless now. I’ll only get half the experience since it’s not my island. 

Yea may be getting too angry about this but I just don’t understand how Nintendo always get given a free pass for such bullshit decisions. Any other company and theyd (rightly) get slaughtered for this. 

Nice one @Hendo, I should have the Sisters clothes store tomorrow. Not unlocked terraforming yet, I get the feeling that’s gonna be something you get relatively late on but I may be wrong. 

I don’t have a great history with the series (New Leaf was the first I played) and I’ve never played any of these games with anyone in my own household @mfnick so the whole 1 island thing just never really mattered to me.

It sucks for folks in your kind of situation but I don’t have any skin in the game so I just can’t really get angry about it at all. Nintendo are a strange company sometimes and make some odd decisions about a whole host of things, but yeah that’s it really, it’s just another odd decision by them.

Yea I can understand it being a non issue if you’ve not got anyone else playing. Surprised by how willing people who are in that situation are to just say get another Switch though. Blows my mind for what shouldnt even be a issue at all. 

Got the items needed to see the higher up parts of the island. I hope terraforming turns up soon so I can flatten that bastard.

Looks like it's gonna be a grind to get the next load of neighbours in - mostly it looks like a case of pure luck of what turns up in the shop.

If you are where I think you are @Hendo you just have to craft a shit load of stuff at a crafting bench. It is a bit of a grind though, took me quite awhile on Saturday to build everything but got there eventually. 

Actually really proud of my little house :D 

Did some landscaping last night so I could fit a Fence all the way round my property. Started out by cutting down a couple of trees then dug up a flowerbed and removed a few garden ornaments at the front so everything looks neater and much nicer.

EUYhGVmUUAA0aNJ.jpg

Little garden tour:

Paid off my second mortgage last night as well, the next one is a crazy number of Bells though so will take me a fair while to pay that off!

I have peaches, oranges, apples, pears, coconuts and a cherry tree coming too. And I have bamboo growing. 

Keep forgetting I have a mortgage to pay ? My home is the least interesting aspect of playing AC for me tbh. I wish I could have kept my tent. 

Spoiler

I have a customisable phone case that I’ve put a photo of my gf on but it’s a bit blurry and no where near as good as those Seinfeld images above when used as a painting etc :(