passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Doom Eternal

one-armed dwarf

Done the first level. Holy shit it was intense! It started off a bit worrying, the opening section makes you go back and forth between the same part of the level numerous times just using key cards. Thought they’d phoned it in at first but it soon picks up pace and gets much more interesting.

Took me about 15 minutes or so to get used to the controls and systems again but once I did I was loving it.

Id say you need to have completed the main game first before playing it. There’s story spoilers if you’re bothered about that as it carries immediately on from the base game and it does not fuck about, it’s instantly punishing! All the end game enemies are chucked at you straight away in big numbers, you need to be on it straight away. 

So far its awesome, absolutely loving playing this again. 

I'm trying to learn to play this on a keyboard. A few things which really rustle my jimmes is how the game maps grenades. Having to press a key to swap grenade but also a separate key to throw them just says to me why don't they have the two keys correspond to the two grenades.

The game loop is so busy that it's really hard to find a comfortable layout. I've got super shotgun on middle mouse as it's my default (for grabby hook), ballista on Q and chaingun on E. I'm playing the end of the main campaign cause apparently the DLC is way harder anyway.

Reason why I want to do this tho is all of the coolest gameplay I've seen of Eternal has been K&M cause it's so much faster due to having keybinds for every weapon and much faster aiming. But it is not as comfortable and smooth to play as Titanfall II is on keyboard that's for sure.

One thing I can't understand is they map the developer console to ` and you can't disable it, so I'm constantly opening the command line while trying to be a doom slayer. So what I did instead was rip that key out of my keyboard and fixed my issue lol

There we go, got gud in next to no time and speed cleared the DLC in just over an hour. Pretty decent but I think I can do better.

Spoiler

Obviously that's all a lie I have no hope of ever being this good but this is the kind of thing that makes me want to see how gud I can get.

6:20 is very satisfying (no spoilers in it)

Wow that’s pretty amazing to watch. 

Ive completed the DLC now. It’s exhilarating, exhausting (in a good way) and at times excruciatingly difficult. Took me over 7 hours as a rough guess. Overall, I absolutely loved it.

It did have a few missteps though. Mostly being in the 2nd level. Really cool environment (as they all are) but half of it just didn’t suit the gameplay IMO. Part of the level has a dense fog you have to fight through basically blind while big pods are exploding and spitting out poisonous gas around you. Not fun. 

Another section has you following a ghost dog through a poisonous atmosphere which then stops at various points and has you fighting enemies in a very tight circle. Again just not fun, especially when it’s against a Marauder and a turret. 

& then the boss repeats the circle trick but on a larger scale and with respawning tough enemies at the same time. In fact respawning the big difficult enemies on bosses is a really big fucking annoyance on this. 

At times it just felt the devs were thinking how hard they could make it rather than making it fun. I even had to submit and use the Guardian Armour on the 2nd and last boss, something I didn’t do at all apart before. It was just ridiculous. The new spirit enemy can go fuck itself too. 

HOWEVER those negatives are strictly only for part of the 2nd level and the final boss. The rest of it I absolutely adored. It looks amazing, it was varied, a good length, and the combat areas were just as fun as ever with some great traversal parts inbetween. Some small parts even had a Prince of Persia style camera pan in a little platforming puzzle room which I really enjoyed. highly recommended if you’ve completed the main game.

Can’t wait for the next one. Just hope they don’t double down on the difficulty more. 

Oh yea, it also looks incredible. 

BCD89DD3-427F-471B-B604-80D34D3BE27B.jpeg

C570F258-9E41-46E9-A94C-075524ED5C93.jpeg

7EEE16DF-66D9-4F47-9995-F6D8532A3534.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to playing Part One of the DLC. The reviews recommended jumping into it without a refresh of the main game wasn’t a great idea, due to the difficulty.

Well, they were not wrong. Haven’t played the game since launch, and got my arse kicked because of it.

Seems fun so far. Except for the platforming bits. They remain bloody awful.

I'm now back to where I stopped, which really isn't all that far in to the game. I've not really felt any different about it, I recognise that it's not a bad game, in fact it's really well put together and runs and plays really well, it's just what it's asking me to do isn't clicking with me.

Hopefully I'll start to really enjoy it past this point

• 2 weeks later...

The cubes? Yep they’re a real cunt, main issue is having all the harder regular enemies there too. Ended up having to give in and use the sentinel armour to beat it. Same with the final boss. Biggest issue with the DLC are those 2 bosses. Shame as the 3rd level is great. 

I'm nearing the end of this, think I've got 2 areas to go. I tend not to get too stroppy as a gamer but there was a fight the other day that made me slam my mouse down in anger. Probably cleared out some fluff so every cloud, but yeah, annoying. The marauders are so hit and miss, in some areas I have no issue with them whatsoever, in others I can't stay within the right area to trigger them dropping their guard. The enemy that spawns other demons too, if you happen to start near him then it's doable, if he's the other side of the room you're fucked

Still, I do like it. It's still no Doom 2016, and I can't see that changing in the next couple of hours of play, but it has its moments

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ancient Gods Part 2 done. That was fantastic, better than the first part by quite a bit. It’s like they listened to my complaints. This was nowhere near as difficult, the bullshit bosses are gone and the new enemies they introduced this time aren’t as bullshit annoying. The 2nd level of part 1 was also a bit poor, all 3 in this are great and look incredible still. The 3rd level pulls off

Spoiler

some Endgame shit with portals opening with big armies coming through.

Visually impressive and exciting stuff. 

The new hammer weapon is a great addition in my opinion. It can stun groups of enemies - including Marauders - which is really helpful, gives ammo and if you burn the enemies or freeze them first you get lots of extra armour or health depending on which you did. 

It’s also added to the traversal, there’s green orbs floating in the air which you can hook shot and sling off, using these in combat is great fun. If anything they’re under utilised, I would have liked more of them. They’ve added respawning ammo to platforming sections too so if you’re not very good at them and cock up certain sections youre not necessarily worse off health wise. There’s no platforming puzzle rooms like in part 1 though which I personally loved and miss but I know Im in minority on that so whatever. 

Can’t fault this DLC at all really. Highly recommended. 

Spoilery screens from level 3.

Spoiler

4A483380-E231-467F-9F70-0CAE31C0DAF5.png

DD6D5ADB-B00C-41A1-B9FF-5CC488049923.png

This isn't really my sort of thing but gave it a go because its on gamepass, and yeah unsurprisingly it wasn't really my sort of thing. Don't really like the asthetic or having to stab monsters in the face every 3 seconds. Did the first 2 levels. Can see why people like it though, the movement/platforming around the levels was fun.

I saw the season pass going for the same price as just getting 1 piece of the DLC and thought about picking it up. I'm not sure I really want that sort of difficulty at the minute though. I ended up enjoying Eternal, but I wasn't pining for more of it